Calm Leader

3 posters

Go down

Calm Leader Empty Calm Leader

Post by Harry.met.faye Mon Nov 10 2014, 13:39

hi guys
my 9 week male mix staff is showing signs of not seeing me as top dog. he is only a pup but he is very bold and i want to help him be a balanced dog. any tips of the trade for non aggressive approches to assert my leadership would be most appreciated. im used to labs, who are much easier lol
Harry.met.faye
Harry.met.faye
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : harry
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Calm Leader Empty Re: Calm Leader

Post by Rachel33 Mon Nov 10 2014, 14:08

Stopping watching the dog whisperer would be a good place to start, and then start interacting with your puppy in a human-dog way, instead it trying to interact with him like another dog. He's 9 weeks old, he's not trying to take over the world.

Be positive, reward the good, ignore the bad, be consistent and be fair. Figure out your dog's motivator - toys, food or praise are usually well liked. Most "corrections" will involve redirection to something suitable, for example, play biting can be distracted with a suitable soft toy to chew. Teaching commands is more effective than "no's" or "tsst" noises, teach your dog what you would like them to do. Leave, wait, stay, heel, sit, lie down and recall are all very valuable and will aid you in communicating with your dog effectively. All of this combined will build respect between you both.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Nov 10 2014, 14:13

P.S you will find the terrier very different to the retriever. They are not bred to work alongside us, but to work for themselves. Training a staffie will be more challenging than a Labrador for this reason, as well as the fact that they're not always as food oriented as the Lab, however, luckily staffies are generally very willing to please - resulting in a motivated and pro active dog. The first 18 months may be a shock to the system, but they're a wonderful breed and I will always have at least one in the home Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Nov 11 2014, 13:43

To be fair the only thing your puppy sees you as at 9 weeks old is a huge fun exciting human toy... it doesn't get any more complicated than that at that age.

Great advice from Rach above, so nothing more to add apart from at 9 weeks old don't expect too much from your pup.
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down