Will they ever calm when together?

4 posters

Go down

Will they ever calm when together? Empty Will they ever calm when together?

Post by ninz Sun May 10 2015, 11:22

When together Casper and Miley are still very rough and tumble with no sign of them calming. They can be together in a room for an hour and do nothing but chase each other, him pinning her and her dragging on various parts of his face...
When they are in a room seperately they are both calm and will find something to lie down with and chew. I see pics on here of two dogs snuggled up together and having a nap and wonder are these two ever going to be like this or are they forever going to just turn into these energetic rough dogs when together? I'm hoping to take them on walks together once Miley is allowed out for a walk and I've had chance to train her on solo walks.but I don't see how that is going to actually be able to happen if they can't be a teensy bit calm together!
ninz
ninz
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Casper , Miley
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Will they ever calm when together? Empty Re: Will they ever calm when together?

Post by -Ian- Sun May 10 2015, 11:28

Familiarity and time will lead to calmer times. Sounds like they are the best of buddies already and just want to play. When you are able to take them both out for walks together, I'm sure they will run like loons and burn off a lot of that excess energy so you should see a difference almost immediately then.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Will they ever calm when together? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 10 2015, 11:43

Yes, they will calm down eventually. However, I wouldn't put your life savings on that being for a long time! Chaos and Millie barely draw breath some days. Nola is starting to quieten down now - she's 8!

Re the walking, for me the rule is that they walk quietly within a couple of metres of me except when I let them 'go play', which means do what you like. If to start off with that means a long training line, so be it. It'll be worth the investment in the long run.

Remember that an excited dog is set up to get over excited if something else happens, such as other dogs coming along. Especially with a staffie, and more especially with 2, you need to have the control that keeps them from boiling over and annoying other dogs. As I'm sure you know all too well already, people are less understanding of an excited staffie than they are of an excited lab!

Back to top Go down

Post by ninz Sun May 10 2015, 12:57

Unfortunately there is nowhere secure that I can let them off lead. I have a long training lead for casper and take him to play frisbee on it. He is learning to sit and wait for someone to make a fuss of him-I usually have to tell the human to not pay him any attention until he is sat and usually get told "oh no it's fine, I don't mind" when he is naughty and jumps up to say hello and I tell him off! Which I know is better than them being scared of him but doesn't help me keep him down lol..and we all know what people are like with puppies...so yeah I can totally see the potential for the excitement to totally boil over when I've got them out together. The main concern I have is them taking the rough and tumble play out on a walk (while on leads). I know it is going to look like they are fighting and can just see someone reporting the mad woman who is out with 5 kids and two fighting staffies!
ninz
ninz

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Casper , Miley
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sun May 10 2015, 23:28

LizP wrote:Yes, they will calm down eventually. However, I wouldn't put your life savings on that being for a long time! Chaos and Millie barely draw breath some days. Nola is starting to quieten down now - she's 8!

Re the walking, for me the rule is that they walk quietly within a couple of metres of me except when I let them 'go play', which means do what you like. If to start off with that means a long training line, so be it. It'll be worth the investment in the long run.

Remember that an excited dog is set up to get over excited if something else happens, such as other dogs coming along. Especially with a staffie, and more especially with 2, you need to have the control that keeps them from boiling over and annoying other dogs. As I'm sure you know all too well already, people are less understanding of an excited staffie than they are of an excited lab!

gfreat advice
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon May 11 2015, 23:05

I think if you struggle to walk them together to start with due to excitement, it may be easier to have two people walking one each. Try to walk next to each other and if they are good, continue. If they start to try to play and get excited, have one of you move away until they calm again. This should start reinforcing that calm walking=they can be together, play and crazy time=they have to walk alone.

We wonder if Bane will ever calm down around my parents staff. They don't see each other often and when they do at a weekend or such, it's 100 mph chasing all over the house and garden and you have to separate them to get them to calm down Laughing On walks however, they are as calm as ever just doing their own thing.

And we've had a few staffy wrestles on the side of the road as we pass someone we know! Hilarious watching the horror on some peoples faces!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down