Stubborn 7 month old

5 posters

Go down

Stubborn 7 month old Empty Stubborn 7 month old

Post by Amy Mon Sep 22 2014, 06:59

Hi Guys,
I haven't been on here since we first got Bosun, our beautiful Blue boy. He is extremely smart, was house trained really early, learned all his basic commands, graduated from basic obedience class, etc. Overall, he has been an extremely good puppy and we love him to bits. My only complaint is that he can be very stubborn, which seems to be a staffy trait!

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on training him to come & recall. He is just fine with treats, but when we ask him to come or sit, sometimes he will just look at us and then walk away or hesitate for a really long time, then do it. A bit like he's saying 'piss off'.

We have gone camping with him and let him off the lead to go and explore and he is great. He doesn't wander too far and comes back when called. We let him off lead at the beach and park with other dogs that we know he will stay around, but would not trust him in our front yard, as he will run across the street to say hello to the neighbours dog.

He was desexed about 3 weeks ago, but this has been a persistent problem.

On another note, he has grass allergies. I have a spray and cream from the vet, but does anyone have any great home remedies?

Thanks for your help?
Cheers,
Amy

Amy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bosun
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Stubborn 7 month old Empty Re: Stubborn 7 month old

Post by goldie87 Tue Sep 23 2014, 11:25

Hi Amy, Zeus can be stubborn now and again, I definitely know what you mean by the 'pi*s off' look - I found that it's all down to being persistent. For example, if my younger sister asks him to do something and he doesn't do it, she'll give up, which basically makes him think, "she'll stop asking if I just don't do it".. where as if I ask him to do something, no matter how small it is, I won't stop until he does it, and I've always been like that. So now, he pretty much does everything I ask him to at the first time of asking.

I also cut down a lot on giving him treats when he does something for me, it's great to train them initially and very effective but I don't want him being dependent on treats alone, so I keep him guessing as to whether he'll get a treat from me or not if he does something.

Regarding his grass allergies, Zeus too has them and a number of other dogs I know.. during Summer (when I take him to the park alot) - I always give him up to 2 hayfever tablets/antihistimines a day (Piriton) which helps a considerable amount to calm his itchyness. I tend to stay away from anything the vets given (chemicals/medications etc) when it comes down to grass allergies. I also use coconut oil (edible type - not the type for your hair) on any skin irritations Zeus has, it works really well. I also clean his paws with diluted Apple Cider Vinegar/Water after every trip to the park, as his grass allergy is irritable to his paws and he's always trying to have a go at them.

goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Wed Sep 24 2014, 08:32

Thanks so much for the tips, very much appreciated. It is definitely a war of wills sometimes! I will definitely try all the tips for the grass allergies.
Cheers!

Amy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bosun
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Sep 24 2014, 13:05

Get a training lead amy that way he has a bit of freedom but you can reel him back incase of trouble http://www.xtradog.com/shop/ here there are a variety of leads collars and harnesses.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Stubborn 7 month old B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer Wed Sep 24 2014, 21:17

Yep Milo's the same. Just sits and looks at you as if to say "you talking to me? - Okay I'll come back when I'm hungry" - its annoying but I just have to ignore him and walk back into the house.
Niffer
Niffer

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo aka Michaelangelo
Dog(s) Ages : 14/09/2013
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24 2014, 23:04

Very familiar indeed, I give Vin Piriton usually half twice a day but check first with your vet. Gras allergies are a devil Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by RiV Thu Sep 25 2014, 01:11

Practice your recall on the training lead when he gets to you make a big fuss the more over the top the better even run backwards calling come and make him excited.

One local here told me they use cow udder ointment on their staffy for skin problems cheaper than the vet stuff and available at most country farm stockists.

Cheers
RiV
RiV
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down