chicken carcass done in slow cooker ( can a dog/puppy eat it?? )

2 posters

Go down

chicken carcass done in slow cooker ( can a dog/puppy  eat it?? ) Empty chicken carcass done in slow cooker ( can a dog/puppy eat it?? )

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 11:56

Tony got all excited when I got the slow cooker out... but it was for the doggies .. not him!! Laughing

I put oats, barley, carrots, brown rice, lamb off cuts ( just meat ) a tin of sardines and 2 chicken carcasses. Of course when I went to get the carcasses out tonight they had all gone really soft and fallen apart. My question is how do I get all the bones out of the casserole for the boys?? I tried to pick alot of the bones out.. it is hard work! Will it hurt if there are still bones in it?? They are really tender and soft... Thanks! Smile

Back to top Go down

chicken carcass done in slow cooker ( can a dog/puppy  eat it?? ) Empty Re: chicken carcass done in slow cooker ( can a dog/puppy eat it?? )

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 12:53

you should never give dogs cooked chicken bones, they can splinter very easiley andthey could choke

Big Grin

Back to top Go down

chicken carcass done in slow cooker ( can a dog/puppy  eat it?? ) Empty Re: chicken carcass done in slow cooker ( can a dog/puppy eat it?? )

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 13:33

I am still going through the casserole trying to get all the bones out.. what a job!! I gave them both a few mouthfuls... they couldn't eat it quick enough!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 13:48

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 13:50

never making one again using chicken bones... it has got knobs on it!! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16 2011, 23:08

If you make another one, leave out the chicken bones (never give a dog any cooked bones, but especially chicken!), the barley & the oats, and don't cook it!!!! rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Sorry. Blushing

Seriously, they don't need oats or barley. Just use meat & carrots & they'll love you forever!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17 2011, 02:17

I found a similar recipe on a internet dog recipe site... which is surprising that I actually found time to do anything else than be addicted to this web site all day!! ( and night!! ) Laughing shame I had no time to cook Tony anything for tea....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17 2011, 05:12

vanessa wrote:

I found a similar recipe on a internet dog recipe site... which is surprising that I actually found time to do anything else than be addicted to this web site all day!! ( and night!! ) Laughing shame I had no time to cook Tony anything for tea....

Oh, poor Tony Wink Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa & Kuta Fri Jun 17 2011, 08:12

I know I will probably get a ripping for this, but our boys have cooked bones all the time.
I never use to give them to them, but my partner said they would be fine and he tried Kuta with one after we had KFC one night. He ate it nice and slow and was fine. I think as long as you dog takes their time with their food, they will be fine. I wouldn't give cooked bones to a dog that scoffs their food though. Both our boys are slow eaters and take their time and crunch the bones very well before swallowing. I also only give them to them when they are fully supervised, they are always in our sight when eating them.
If you are in doubt though, go with your instincts and don't give them cooked bones.
Lisa & Kuta
Lisa & Kuta
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kuta & Brutus
Dog Gender(s) : both Males
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17 2011, 11:13

Lisa & Kuta wrote:I know I will probably get a ripping for this, but our boys have cooked bones all the time.
I never use to give them to them, but my partner said they would be fine and he tried Kuta with one after we had KFC one night. He ate it nice and slow and was fine.

Please, please, PLEASE don't give cooked chicken bones, even if they chomp them really well! The bones themselves become extremely brittle, and will splinter into needle sharp pieces, even if they are chewed! A piece of cooked chicken bone that has splintered as small as half a cenimetre long can perforate the bowel and cause peritonitis, which could kill your dog in an extremely short space of time, often before you can even get them to a vet, let alone have a vet treat them.

You've been lucky so far, but PLEASE don't take that chance again!

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyAndMe Tue Jun 21 2011, 17:40

so to ask another question if i gave mine a whole raw chicken carcass from the butchers it would be fine as long as im watching him all the time bones and all
MarleyAndMe
MarleyAndMe

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21 2011, 20:56

Raw bones are not as dangerous as cooked bones but the dogs still need to be supervised while eating them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21 2011, 21:05

MarleyAndMe wrote:so to ask another question if i gave mine a whole raw chicken carcass from the butchers it would be fine as long as im watching him all the time bones and all

Yes, as long as it's raw and fresh. But do supervise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down