Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog?

+10
stella
Sazzle
flowerbud
ColinW
lovemystaffies
JStaff
VikkiGT4
Kathy
Dwrightham
Steve
14 posters

Go down

Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Empty Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog?

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 08:35

I have been recently looking at getting a new dog to extend our family and I am going to visit a staffy cross American bulldog, is this a good combination? Thoughts welcomed
Dwrightham
Dwrightham
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bosley
Dog(s) Ages : 5 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Empty Re: Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog?

Post by Steve Tue Aug 26 2014, 09:10

tell me more, are you getting it from a back yard breeder or a rescue center? is this breeder what want? have you got dog already?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Empty Re: Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog?

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 09:26

It's from a pet forum but has actually turned out to be somebody local that I am familiar with, it will be a sad loss for them, they have been told by their landlord they can't have a dog. I have got a spaniel cross already and two kids under ten, we are visiting the dog tomorrow to see how it goes, to be honest I wasn't worried about it until I started to search on the net to find out a bit more info and have just read some negative comments about people thinking they should be banned??
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26 2014, 09:38

Hi & Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26 2014, 09:38

Hiya from me and Vinnie Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Aug 26 2014, 09:39

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Maybe they should have asked the landlord first about having a dog, this would have saved a lot of heartbreak for both.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 09:43

I know and I really want to offer him a good home and don't want to disrupt him any more, my children picked him so if all goes well tomorrow and we bring him home I will post some pictures, and thank you for the welcome.
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Tue Aug 26 2014, 10:06

Hi and welcome to the forum from me and the zoo Smile xx

I do think you should make sure that your dog and the new dog are compatible first before making any decisions. Meeting each other on a walk and living together are two different things.

I'm glad that you're wanting to give this gorgeous breed a loving home though, just don't enter into it without giving it great consideration and thought xx
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Knox (RIP baby boy <3)
Support total : 234

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 10:09

No I won't and thank you for your advice, the compatibility of the two dogs is most important to me and if I see any signs tomorrow I will not bring him home, I know there will be a settling in period for both so will keep a very close eye on them xx
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Tue Aug 26 2014, 10:43

That's great to hear Smile I hope it all goes well for you xx
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 10:46

Thank you
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Aug 26 2014, 11:14

Best to introduce both dogs on neutral ground to see if they are compatable
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Tue Aug 26 2014, 11:24

I don't want to spoil this positive thing you are doing for an unwanted dog but do read the stuff online about what the dog looks like (rather than what people are saying it is). Extract from the DDA here:
DANGEROUS DOGS ACT: PROBLEMS OF IDENTIFICATION
Problems of Identification

The Dangerous Dogs Act refers to a ‘type of dog known as a pit bull terrier’ as the American Pit Bull Terrier was not recognised by the Government or the UK Kennel Club as a pure breed. A legal decision was therefore required to define exactly what that meant. The Queen’s Bench Divisional Court decided in July 1993 that:

‘They could properly conclude that a dog was of the type known as the pit bull terrier if its characteristics substantially conformed to the American Dog Breeders Association’s standard.’

The standards for the APBT are however, extremely vague by UK pure breed standards. This means that any dog, regardless of its parentage could be considered a ‘pit bull type’ if it looks like the US standard.. Hundreds of crossbred dogs and their owners have suffered as a result of this definition. It is even more difficult for owners to fight these cases because the burden of proof lies with the defence. The owner has to prove to the court that the dog is not a ‘pit bull type’ rather than the police having to prove that it is.

lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 12:14

I have got a picture of him but am not sure how to upload on here, if I can I will upload, don't want to get him and then have issues not fair on him or my family
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ColinW Tue Aug 26 2014, 12:20

Welcome from Iza and me Smile
ColinW
ColinW

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Iza
Dog(s) Ages : 1.8 years
Support total : 633

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Aug 26 2014, 13:44

flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:08

http://i42.photoShould I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Image_zps8905bd8fbucket.com/albums/e321/dwrightham/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8905bd8f.jpg

Last edited by flowerbud on Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Put on photo)
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:12

https://2img.net/h/i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/dwrightham/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps405b3ec1.jpg

Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Image_zps405b3ec1

Last edited by flowerbud on Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:16; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed photo)
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:14

https://2img.net/h/i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/dwrightham/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8913b73f.jpg

Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? Image_zps8913b73f

Last edited by flowerbud on Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : photo)
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:14

You just need to click on the img code to the right of the pic and paste it on here Smile
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:17

Done them for you Smile
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:22

This from DEFRA This is the description UK police and law enforcement officers go by when determining a pitbull type dog.

The standard used to identify a PBT is set out in the American Dog Breeders Association standard of
conformation as published in the Pit Bull Gazette, vol 1, issue 3 1977 – please refer to this for the full
description and also relevant cases20 as this is only a brief overview. Although the law does not require
a suspected PBT to fit the description perfectly, it does require there to be a substantial number of
characteristics present so that it can be considered ‘more’ PBT than any other type of dog.

• When first viewing the dog it should appear square from the side, and its height to the top of
its shoulders should be the same distance as from the front of its shoulder to the rear point of
its hip.
• Its height to weight ratio should be in proportion.
• Its coat should be short and bristled, (single coated).
• Its head should appear to be wedge shaped when viewed from the side and top but rounded
when viewed from the front. The head should be around 2/3 width of shoulders and 25 per
cent wider at cheeks than at the base of the skull (this is due to the cheek muscles).
• The distance from the back of the head to between the eyes should be about equal to the
distance from between the eyes to the tip of its nose.
• The dog should have a good depth from the top of head to bottom of jaw and a straight
box-like muzzle.
• Its eyes should be small and deep-set, triangular when viewed from the side and elliptical
from front.
• Its shoulders should be wider than the rib cage at the eighth rib.
• Its elbows should be flat with its front legs running parallel to the spine.
• Its forelegs should be heavy and solid and nearly twice the thickness of the hind legs just below
the hock.
• The rib cage should be deep and spring straight out from the spine, it should be elliptical in
cross section tapering at the bottom and not ‘barrel’ chested.
• It should have a tail that hangs down like an old fashioned ‘pump handle’ to around the hock.
• It should have a broad hip that allows good attachment of muscles in the hindquarters and
hind legs.
• Its knee joint should be in the upper third of the dog’s rear leg, and the bones below that
should appear light, fine and springy.
• Overall the dog should have an athletic appearance, the standard makes no mention of ears,
colour, height, or weight.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/dogs-guide-enforcers.pdf

lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:23

I will get the hang of it I'm sure, not sure if it's because I am doing from my mobile!! Thank you!! What do you think of him appearance wise
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Tue Aug 26 2014, 16:28

I think he's beautiful Smile
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 16:30

Thank you Vikki, as long as he gets on with my spaniel!! If so there will be lots of pictures going up xx
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26 2014, 17:30

Welcome from Darcy and me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 17:57

Thank you Hayley, everyone has been so lovely so far, and helpful. I can see this sure is going to be a great thing to be involved in x
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Tue Aug 26 2014, 18:04

He's an absolute beauty, good luck
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Tue Aug 26 2014, 18:09

Thank you Wendy and thanks for your help earlier, much appreciated xx
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Aug 26 2014, 19:45

Hi and welcome from me and Daisy Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Aug 26 2014, 19:51

hia from me and sasha Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Aug 26 2014, 22:28

Hi & Welcome from Flo and me.. I really hope the two get along Big Grin

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Should I get a staffy cross American bulldog? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Aug 26 2014, 22:51

Personaly dont think he looks anything like type, but thats just my view and a dlo may think different. if i would have to err on it id say im 90% confident he will be okay. alot of seizsures are on problem dogs alothough it isnt exclusive, the police will generally turn a blind eye to well behaved dogs. i work with two police officers who have both said they would leave a well loved dog alone if it wasnt dangerouse rather than upset the owners and cost the force thousands in kenneling fees
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Wed Aug 27 2014, 16:59

Unfortunately I couldn't bring him home with me, almost tossed my dog in the air with excitement and then scratched my Sonoma the face and neck, who was then petrified of him, such a shame they just didn't know how to handle him. He was huge!!!. Going to see another one tomorrow night, pure staffy so wish me luck xx
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Wed Aug 27 2014, 17:15

Will look forward to better news Dee, so sad for the last boy.
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Wed Aug 27 2014, 18:08

I know and I hate to leave him, no idea where he will end up. I just couldn't risk it for my kids and other dog x
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by freyj4z Wed Aug 27 2014, 19:30

Awww such a shame!! Yes indeed exeter there are loads of 'type' dogs and police don't care, it's when they start behaving badly and dangerously then they take notice. Awww you will love having a staffie you won't look back!!!!
freyj4z
freyj4z

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Loki
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwrightham Thu Aug 28 2014, 05:56

I have got all my fingers and toes crossed now for the viewing tonight
Dwrightham
Dwrightham

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Thu Aug 28 2014, 15:27

Aww shame about him Sad but good luck in your search xx

Once you go staff you never go back Wink xx
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Thu Aug 28 2014, 19:16

Better luck with the next one.
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Aug 28 2014, 21:23

Shame you didn't get along with him, he is absolutely gorgeous! It just sounds like he needed a bit of training to curb his excitement. Good luck finding a pup!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down