DAF foods

5 posters

Go down

DAF foods Empty DAF foods

Post by Rubio Mon Aug 18 2014, 10:12

I've been feeding raw for a while now but just received my first bulk order from a wholesaler. I ordered through Fife Animal Feeds in Scotland but since the stuff I got came in DAF boxes I'm presuming they source it from them. I know lots of people on here use DAF so I thought you might be able to help me out with a couple of questions.

I ordered a box of the mixed meats, a box of chicken and tripe, a box of chicken and liver, and some trotters.

I thought I would try him with the chicken and tripe first (not that I was in any way worried since he has eaten everything I've ever given him!) When I defrosted the first pack it was absolutely stinking! I mean, I know the tripe can be smelly but this was pretty rancid. Is this normal? Anyway, he ate it, after a while but wasn't very keen. Last night and this morning I've tried another packet which I intended to be chicken and liver but might be chicken and tripe again. It's quite hard to tell. It smells pretty bad as well but is definitely an improvement. Anyway, the dog ate the first feed but is now refusing it. This is really not like him.

What are other people's experiences with DAF or dogs becoming picky? Have I spoiled him? He has eaten a huge variety of things until now but mainly meat from the supermarket, salmon from a friend and mackerel and trout that I catch myself. I'd be really interested to hear other's experiences. Thanks
Rubio
Rubio
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rubio
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

DAF foods Empty Re: DAF foods

Post by jshrew Mon Aug 18 2014, 10:27

The tripe based are smelly but I wouldn't say rancid (but bad enough that i only feed from home i dont inflict portions on my parents to feed Ledger when im at work) think there is a chicken and oily fish one which looks like chicken frozen which was quite stinky too

I have had two deliveries so far (3rd due Wednesday) I've had no issues with the frozen products quality wise tho I did have a bag of biscuits that went mouldy

Just to note I got Ledger the trotters and he wouldn't touch them but their stuffed hooves are great can leave one in a cool bag for his dog walker to give to him frozen when she visits and reuse the hooves to stuff with sweet potato for treats
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Aug 18 2014, 21:47

We order from them and have had no problems Smile Their stuff is very stinky! When we get deliveries our house smells like a farmyard and that's just from the boxes!
We find the tripe is really good. Not tried the mixed chicken and tripe/liver but have chicken and fish and that is smelly but Bane loves it. It may just be that he is used to the supermarket stuff which doesn't smell and may even taste different.
We found that Bane got a bit fussy when we ran out of DAF and had to use mainly butcher scraps. (he also didn't fancy eating the chicken meat from my parents chickens he killed) But as soon as we got our next delivery he was back to himself...we just assumed that some meats tasted different...odd seeing as it is all the same!
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubio Wed Aug 20 2014, 22:19

Thanks for the replies guys. He has been eating some of it now but he's definitely not as keen as he normally is for his dinner! I get the impression he's forcing it down because he knows I won't give him anything else!

And other pack haven't smelt nearly as bad as that first one. Think I must have got a rotten one
Rubio
Rubio

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Sat Aug 23 2014, 10:04

My dogs won't eat DAF, they just sniff at it then walk away and I must admit the smell  sick is awful.
I am lucky and get my raw meat from Jay's in West Yorkshire- we collect the meat a few days after it has been frozen and all the meat except for the tripe doesn't smell, on saying this... the tripe is no way as strong as DAF.
suzieJ
suzieJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
DAF foods Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy & Franky
Dog(s) Ages : Lucy 4 yrs Franky 3 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female / Male
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubio Sun Aug 24 2014, 19:18

Yeah I'm not convinced by it. There is a real smell off the chicken that I'm sure isn't normal. He is eating it now but he definitely doesn't enjoy mealtimes as much as he did before
Rubio
Rubio

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Aug 24 2014, 20:05

Had another delivery Wednesday and got chicken, duck and mixed meat mince as well as salmon chunks, whole kidney and beef throat

Purposely defrosted some plain chicken mince there is definitely no smell to it, only noticed a whiff on the the stuff that is mixed with tripe or oily fish
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Sun Aug 24 2014, 20:19

Rubio- I personally wouldn't use it if it smells, I would also ring DAF and see if they are a supplier to Fife Animal Feeds. I've tried to find the company myself and so far cannot find their web site - are they listed under a different name?
suzieJ
suzieJ
DAF foods Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubio Mon Aug 25 2014, 21:23

Well that's a little bizarre. I just tried to go to their site (which I've been on before) and I get a message saying "this page has been reserved for future use"?
The dog is still not loving the food but he is eating it and his toilet is normal (though he did go about 6-8 times today, strangely!) The chicken mixes are the worst. The packs from the mixed box (some kind of beef mix I think?) seem to be ok. Looks like quite a high bone content in all the packs though.
Do you guys use anything else or just feed these as a complete meal? I figured that if there was bone mixed in and I fed the chicken/tripe or chicken/liver mixes then he would be getting everything he needs?
Rubio
Rubio

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Aug 25 2014, 22:58

I tend to find with the chicken/turkey/duck mince that the diet is fairly balanced, Ledger finds the tripe mixes quite rich so i reduce the mince and add a duck wing
And he has a small duck wing with a kidney. Still mixing things up a bit and trialling things each time. The beef throats have been very popular as are the salmon portions but my fav for him are the stuffed hooves as i can leave a frozen one in a cool bag so the dog walker can feed him, they keep him distracted for ages if i have guests and i wash out the hooves and restuff with sweet potato mash for treats
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Tue Aug 26 2014, 11:23

My dogs food consists of 50% chicken (with ground bone) 50% tripe and 100% beef.
I had to alter the chicken to 50% as my dogs were getting constipated due "I beleive" to the bone content.
Once I have mixed the mince I then add a little salmon oil on top.

I haven't been feeding raw for very long so I guess I'm still learning (L)
Even so I do like to add a little finely grated/mashed veg to the meat 2-3 times a week which my dogs really enjoy.
A raw whisked egg is good,and my dogs love a bit of grated cheese on top once a week.

I've also got some chicken hearts in the freezer which I will try in the next few days. Its trial and error I think as every dog is different Smile
suzieJ
suzieJ
DAF foods Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Wed Aug 27 2014, 21:16

The DAF website is working fine for me. If you are not 100% sure then give them a call and see what they say! We have had a couple of delivery issues in the past and they have been very helpful and kind.
We also asked about the bone content and they said the minces were all under 20% bone so I guess you could feed the mince alone and get rough ratios without much extra work.
I think they can all be fussy at times and certainly have their preferences Smile There are some other suppliers out there you could give a go!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Thu Aug 28 2014, 07:45

I believe the company where the raw food was bought was from Fife Animal Feeds, but I do agree DAF would undoubtedly want to know if there is any problem with raw meat which has their name on. Smile
suzieJ
suzieJ
DAF foods Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mreed7773 Sat Sep 20 2014, 20:11

daf mince are 80 10/10 i asked them this week but the 10% offal ould be anything offal wise they said.... we used them on our last delivery and i think its really good , so will be my first choice from now on and lanywoods would be my second . Tripe smells really bad lol i give her food half defrosted .. we have chicken and fish and it doesn't smell really..
mreed7773
mreed7773

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tia
Dog(s) Ages : 22nd feb 2014 .... 2 years 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down