Laura frize
janey
MumtoTiffany
8 posters

Go down

New mum to 8 year old rescue staff Empty New mum to 8 year old rescue staff

Post by MumtoTiffany Tue Jul 16 2013, 11:15

Hi All

I am a very proud new mum to a beautiful red 8 year old rescue girl called Tiffany.
I was brought up with Staffies as a child and we have wanted one to join our family for ages.
I just have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me out with.

Tiffany had been in rescue kennels since the beginning of may and then in foster care for the last 10 weeks.
Her foster mum was a lovely lady Im just a bit unsure of how to change the routine she had Tiffany in.
She was a shift worker so would walk Tiffany between 4.30 and 5am and give her a small breakfast when they returned from her morning walk and then walk her again in the afternoon and give her some tea at 5pm.

We`ve had her since saturday and needless to say she has been waking at 4.30 wanting to be walked. We`ve tried just letting out into the garden and left the door open for her but she comes up and nudges us as if she`s asking to be walked? My husband has been taking her bless him and she settles down when shes back, hes also been giving her her breakfast then too.

Has any one got any suggestions on how we can get her out of this routine? my husband is happy to walk her at 6am before he goes to work and i have been walking her in the evening, I would also like to take her for a walk during the day but im worried its a bit too hot to take her out?.
My husband takes her for 30mins in the morning and i take her for 45mins to an hour in the eve, is this enough for her?

Also she doesn't poo when we`re out, she does it in our garden, its not much of a problem as I clean it up as soon as she does it but we have got 2 young children. Is there a way to get her to go when we`re out or is this something that she will just do?

With regards to her meals is 2 meals ok? She`s been given dried food as the foster lady said thats what she found suited her. Im happy with that but she has been feeding her Harringtons for breakfast and waag for tea and I was thinking of changing her to Burns any tips?

Im so sorry for all of the questions, I hope I make sense??

I look forward to hearing any advice,

All the best, Wendy and Tiffany

MumtoTiffany
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Tiffany
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New mum to 8 year old rescue staff Empty Re: New mum to 8 year old rescue staff

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 11:18

Hi & New mum to 8 year old rescue staff Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

New mum to 8 year old rescue staff Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
New mum to 8 year old rescue staff Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
New mum to 8 year old rescue staff Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
New mum to 8 year old rescue staff Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
New mum to 8 year old rescue staff Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
New mum to 8 year old rescue staff Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
New mum to 8 year old rescue staff Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 11:25

Hi Wendy & Tiffany, welcome from Darcy and me, well done on rescuing Tiffany Wendy Big Grin with regards to her early morning walk perhaps making it later each day over a period of time may help say just 10 mins later each time for instance 4.40/4.50/5am/5.10 and so on until you get to 6am. Then hopefully her routine will be 6am Smile Does that make sense? With regards to her food wagg really is awful Sad full of rubbish so I'd really get her of that as soon as, here's a list if dry food recommendations :- http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dry_food have a look through, when you do change it's best to do it over a week or so to avoid any tummy upsets Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jul 16 2013, 11:26

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo, well done on rescuing, it just takes a little time to break her into a new routine Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura frize Tue Jul 16 2013, 12:07

Congratulations on becoming a new staffy mummy hope your girl brings you so much joy, happiness & love, love laura & Herbie xx
Laura frize
Laura frize
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 16 2013, 12:10

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Always great to see someone asking questions, I cannot really add to much to that given above other than the two meals should be fine and wagg is not a great quality food. Another food to consider would be James Wellbeloved which is reasonably priced and is easily available.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Tue Jul 16 2013, 12:25

Welcome to the forum! All great advice above and well done on rescuing Smile
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by MumtoTiffany Tue Jul 16 2013, 12:53

Hi Everyone thank you for your replys and your kind welcomes.
I will try gradually making her walks later and will have a look into James Wellbeloved. Yes, I had read bad reviews in Waag so want to get her off it asap really.
Just want to try and give her the best I can really, shes a lovely girl and is currently snoring away by my feet under the table Smile 

MumtoTiffany

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Tiffany
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Jul 16 2013, 13:06

Hi and welcome from me and Daisy Big Grin 

Don't worry about asking questions, that is what we're here for!! Although on this occassion I don't think I can add any further advise.

Well done on the rescue and keep us posted on your progress Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Jul 16 2013, 13:36

Hello and welcome from me and Pixee, and well done on the rescue. As Darcy May has suggested, increase the time 10 mins a time till it reaches 6am. And I wouldnt worry too much about the walk in the day as it is too hot for some dogs. My Pixee has 3 walks a day, however in this weather its down to one or two as she hasnt taken to the heat well. She now has an early morning walk, and after 7pm if its cooler, we will take her but only for 10 to 15 mins as she can be panting like mad otherwise when we get back. What I do is give her a few mins play time in the garden with her boomer ball without over doing it to break up the day for her. She bless her is fast a sleep in my bed as its cooler in there.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sun Mar 09 2014, 19:07

Hello - always wonder "what happens next". Did she settle in?
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Mar 09 2014, 19:11

Rupertsbooks wrote:Hello - always wonder "what happens next". Did she settle in?

I guess we will have to wait and see if she logs in again, the original post was from July 2013
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down