How to introduce a puppy towards an unpredictable older dog

3 posters

Go down

How to introduce a puppy towards an unpredictable older dog Empty How to introduce a puppy towards an unpredictable older dog

Post by lukeyd123 Sat Jun 21 2014, 14:59

Hello all Smile

Right where do i start lol, I have a 2 year male staffy (TANGO) and a 10 week old female staffy (ROXY). Weve had the puppy for 5 days now and are getting along well but... my sister has a female cross small terrier type (MOLLY) she is a very unpredictable dog, about 4 years old, i got her for my sister when she was 2 (would be a different story if she was brought up from a puppy) She doesnt like any dog, she is proper close to my older dog Tango they get along perfectly and my mums dog Casper, but these were the dogs she 1st met when she came to us.

Molly recently met another puppy (both dogs were in each others arms at her grandmas house) they both barked at each other so never have contact now.

My dog is really close with Molly there bestfriends and im so scared Molly and Tango will both turn on my new puppy and Tango will stick up for Molly rather than his new little sister, how do i go about introducing her without my puppy getting hurt? Is it too soon, should i let my older dog and the puppy grow a better bond? Ive really no idea how to go about it, all advice much appreciated! Smile I really need them to all get along as we are a really close family Smile

Thanks Emma and Luke xx
lukeyd123
lukeyd123
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tango and Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years and 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Femaile
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

How to introduce a puppy towards an unpredictable older dog Empty Re: How to introduce a puppy towards an unpredictable older dog

Post by Guest Sat Jun 21 2014, 16:09

Are you able to take them all for walks on neutral territory when Roxy is able to get out and about (I'm assuming she won't have had all her shots yet)? That way they're all on lead and get the chance to sniff around, but there won't be any need for "ganging up" or feeling like there's a newbie coming into the home so to speak.

Back to top Go down

How to introduce a puppy towards an unpredictable older dog Empty Re: How to introduce a puppy towards an unpredictable older dog

Post by janey Sat Jun 21 2014, 19:22

Agree neutral territory and on lead - but I would personally wait for a few weeks - let your pup find its feet Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by lukeyd123 Sat Jun 21 2014, 19:52

Thankyou for both your replys Smile we have a lake very local so will take them there in a month when Roxy has all her jabs done Smile Im so nevous :/ Hopefully it goes okay xx
lukeyd123
lukeyd123

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tango and Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years and 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Femaile
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jun 21 2014, 19:53

You can only try Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Jun 21 2014, 22:10

I would let your 2 bond for a while then introduce Molly to the fray on neutral ground over several weeks. Get them used to each other over time and then Tango shouldn't have to defend one or the other.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

How to introduce a puppy towards an unpredictable older dog B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down