Curious - cruelty case rescue dog.

+4
jola139
lumpydog
Debs01
Rachel33
8 posters

Go down

Curious - cruelty case rescue dog. Empty Curious - cruelty case rescue dog.

Post by Rachel33 Sun Jun 08 2014, 07:43

As many of you know, Biscuit came to me from a hideous home and has multiple fears and complexes that have required behavioural rehabilitation. She's been with me for almost 3 years now! And we've come so far.. It took me 6 weeks to gain her trust, and I do believe that she trusts me now.

The one thing that has never gone away is her sensitivity, which is obviously just her personality and something that we manage by avoiding too many visitors, using only quiet commands where possible, using pretty much positive only training as there's little need for reprimands, other than the occasional "no" or "enough" which is generally whilst on walks. But when I do have to tell her no, example; she can sometimes refuses to go for a wee in the garden if it's cold or wet, and will pretend to go and then run back in and go on the kitchen floor at a later time!! She's always done this, training doesn't seem to help as it's only in very bad weather that she will do this.

It was a little windy this morning and I stood out giving her the toilet command for 5 minutes to no avail, I went to go back in and she ran and barged me to get in the door first, I blocked her with my body, said "no" firmly, but not shouting, and pointed to the garden and said "wee wee's" and she just hit the deck and tucked her bum under tongue flicking and fast blinking. All over one firm command. I hate it, and realise that she had repeated trauma in her previous home, but I need to find a way to communicate to her that some things are wrong, without scaring the living day lights out of her. She does this 90% of the time when you're firm with her, which is why the majority of our interactions are redirects, but she's now up in the bed clinging to me whilst I'm trying to give low key reactions to soothe but not reinforce her.

Anyone had any experience of this? Does that fear of people ever fully go away? I wonder if it's a lack of trust in me, or a tigger reaction to negative interactions.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Curious - cruelty case rescue dog. Empty Re: Curious - cruelty case rescue dog.

Post by Debs01 Sun Jun 08 2014, 08:14

I have no experience Rach but I do believe dogs never forget bad treatment and I would say that it's a deep routed fear not lack of trust in you. She's been through so much I guess some tones of voice trigger old memories. It's heartbreaking to see I'm sure but you are doing such a great job with her x
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by lumpydog Sun Jun 08 2014, 08:14

Sorry, to hear about Biscuit being like this, Rachel. I have never known anything like this, but years ago, my friend rescued a Doberman called Max. He was a lovely dog, but as soon as you put a motorbike helmet on, he would go for you. The previous owners had tied him to a fence and drove motorbikes at him, so Andy (my friend) had to get ready to goo to work in the shed. It shows how previous experiences can mentally scar animals. I hope everything improves very soon.
lumpydog
lumpydog
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Meg
Dog(s) Ages : Sept 20th 2011
Support total : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Jun 08 2014, 08:39

I agree, it's not that she doesn't trust you, it's deeper in her. My parent rescued a mix type, he was scared to death of males, specially their shoes and he went mental when my parents were frying. He attacked my dad few Times, with time it was better. He started to trust my dad more after my mum's death. But those fears never went away. But my parents never worked with him, so it's different.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Jun 08 2014, 08:50

Thank you guys.. Logically I know it's probably very deep seated but it makes me feel horrible! She's fine again now, playing with her toys and skipping around! She did it the other day on a walk, she went to the toilet and when she had finished I praised and then picked up a stick/twig to flick it off the track and she ran away from me, bum tucked under. Her general posture can be quite hunched over, but she had SO many pups before coming to me that I don't know if the effected her spine or is just the way she carries herself, as she hates dogs sniffing her bum and doesn't like to be touched at all on her back near her tail. My little munchkin Sad hate whoever did this to her!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jun 08 2014, 08:52

We have a similar issue with Rocky. He cannot stand to hear anyone shouting, even on the TV. We have to change channels sometimes if there is an arguement on something.

Dogs don't forget things that have upset them, I believe this. Rocky was bullied by other dogs before we rescued him. There must have been a boxer dog involved somehow because he cannot go anywhere near them now.

I doubt that Biscuit has a lack of trust in you it's more likely to be a trigger of a memory from her time with the previous people.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Jun 08 2014, 10:25

I know exactly what you are saying Rach and the signs appear in Ledger every once in a while too, raised voices is a massive trigger, when I let him off lead in the park I can't lean over him and have to cover the lead clip with my hand and take it straight out of his sight (same at flyball/agility), and when I play with him there have been times when my arm is in a certain position where he will just cower back or jump at it. He often seems to see 'No' as a challenge almost like he is trying to engage attention but if I can then ignore him (depending on what he is doing) he stands there staring at me with his bottom lip quivering
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Jun 08 2014, 11:33

Rachel33 wrote: She did it the other day on a walk, she went to the toilet and when she had finished I praised and then picked up a stick/twig to flick it off the track and she ran away from me, bum tucked under.

Think this may underline some of the problem, she sounds like she has been mistreated alot for going in the house so now thinks anything to do with going to the loo is bad and punishable. if as i suspect it has and this was done while a puppy it will be ingrained im afraid but not reversable to a degree.
It's going to be a hard one to tackle and I really cannot think of much you can do that you arnt allready doing especially as this isnt the only issue. If positive reinforcement isnt working for the loo command then one thing you could to try and do is to get her doing it without thinking about it. You will need to some other work with her first. Activities that stimulate her drive will build confidence in herself and have her hanging on your word. Use this to work her and getting her to do things for fuss like jumping onto logs, fetching a ball/item you havent thrown, find treats hidden around. You can even try direction commands while out walking, basically anything that involves her doing a task for you. then fuss like mad to let her know she has done well if she achives the goal. The aim is for her to see that any command given will be praised for when completed, even going to the loo.
It will take quite a while to start off but once dogs realise they are doing something for you and its pleasing you alot it gathers momentum quite quick.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Jun 08 2014, 17:06

Aw Rocky! Biscuit doesn't seem to get upset by the TV at all! Must make choosing a film hard lol!

Jules, Bug is the same with the leaning over her thing, she looks up with worried eyes and tongue flicks! Do you find agility has helped him to build confidence/helped your bond? I really want to do agility with bis but can't find anybody that does it 1-1!

Nathan, that's a really good point! To be honest, I've always been so focused on her problems with her aggression that I've missed little worries that she has with toileting etc, didn't really see them as problems I guess! I've found swimming together to build a massive bond, and climbing/hiking too! We're really in sync when we climb together and she watches to see where I'm going to go next, where as usually she just bulldozes everything. I really want to start free running with her as she's amazing at jumping and climbing! Can't wait to get my car so we can climb tors on the moors every day! I praise her like mad for everything, and always try and be as gentle and calm, but also firm and fair with her as humanly possible. I've gotten frustrated with her before of course; I'm only human and he aggression can be very testing, but I've never laid a finger on her or really shouted at her, but she can pick up on it if I'm tense for sure, then the tail goes under and she just crawls around everywhere, ducking and flinching if I try to stroke her. Poor Bug Sad any other suggestions for activities for confidence building?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Jun 08 2014, 18:58

Having a rescue myself, you are always left wondering what happened before we stepped in to give them the loving home they so deserve.

My Flo only shows stress when I play fight with either of my boys. She will bark and dance around us. It's clear that she isn't wanting to play.

From what we know she didn't come from an abusive home but we will never really know.

I think Nathan throws up some good tips. If you can make it all positive when out walking and make toilet time become a non issue when out walking then perhaps this will transfer to the home environment.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Curious - cruelty case rescue dog. B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Jun 08 2014, 21:43

Rachel33 wrote: I really want to start free running with her as she's amazing at jumping and climbing! Can't wait to get my car so we can climb tors on the moors every day!

Thats exactly what im talking about, perfect, perfect perfect. working together; bonding and building trust beyond the normal everyday fun, she will also begin to look out for you as well. i cant let my two off lead' yet when i bikejore my two i have no physical control whatsoever just verbal and they act like we've been doing it for years. free running is an excellent sport to do with your dog, have a look out for canicross belts as it may make it a bit easier.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down