Need some advice on staffy x puppy management

+4
mrapcraig
-Ian-
Sazzle
Kathy
8 posters

Go down

Need some advice on staffy x puppy management Empty Need some advice on staffy x puppy management

Post by mrapcraig Thu May 01 2014, 16:26

Following on from my post in the intro section last weekend. The reality of owning a 4 month old staff x has set in  Laughing He is a lovely dog and I think we have all done well in the past week settling in , considering this is the poor little guys 4th home since birth  Surprised 

He has really settled in and I am wanting some advice from other owners from the following issues I have noticed and am trying to iron out.

1- He can be mellow some times when we are just me and him in the morning and lies on my lap while Im working on the laptop, but other times he literally is an exocet missile jumping from settee to chair to floor back around again and then diving on me from height (hard) at high speed for some licking...and nipping occasionally (working on that).

Is allowing him on the settee a bad idea? Ive tried tackling this by putting him on the lead but he gets caught up in it on the floor, nearly chokes himself trying to get back on the settee to lie next to me!

2/ the other weird thing is he did go for walks ok (procrastinated a little on leaving the drive) up till yesterday and he wouldn't leave the drive when my dad tried to take him yesterday avo. He did the same for me today, just sat on the drive and wouldn't budge , kept looking back at the house!! He doesnt like rain but it had stopped ages before. I didn't force the issue and we went back in. Just wondering what I should do, if anything!!

mrapcraig
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Need some advice on staffy x puppy management Empty Re: Need some advice on staffy x puppy management

Post by mrapcraig Thu May 01 2014, 16:27

Thanks for any help!!

mrapcraig

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Need some advice on staffy x puppy management Empty Re: Need some advice on staffy x puppy management

Post by Kathy Thu May 01 2014, 16:32

For the walking part have you tried taking a squeeky toy with you, this way he knows that going out for walks are fun and will therefore be more willing to go out. If it's a bit chilly outside does he have a coat you could pop on him, or a doggy jumper ? He is looking back at your home because he knows it's warm and comfy there, he will be fine once he gains a little more confidence in you when he is more settled in his new surroundings.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by mrapcraig Thu May 01 2014, 16:57

Thanks Kathy for the advice!
I was thinking he might need a dog coat, will get one ordered post haste! and I will try the toy idea too. Thanks for the help.

Anyone else with any tips Im all ears! This little dude is a handful!

mrapcraig

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu May 01 2014, 19:46

They are very energetic so the zooming around is not really unusual, when he is older and have have longer walks you'll be able to tire him out more!

it's up to you whether you allow him on the sofa (I do) but whatever you decide just been consistent  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu May 01 2014, 22:45

The consistent message is key in all that you do.

Flo has tried the not walking thing and given my neighbours many a laugh and this is when it isn't raining. If its raining forget it with Flo.

The way I managed this situation was to not give in. I have even carried her down the road in the past !. If Flo thinks she can get away with something, then she will try her luck again and again, they are stubborn little beggars at times.

Be firm and don't let him win, command and treat will nearly always work too.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Need some advice on staffy x puppy management B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by mrapcraig Fri May 02 2014, 11:00

Thanks Ian.
Will try the carry and walk method if he refuses today!!!

Command and treat is a regular occurance, didnt work yesterday for the walk though!!! Will have a re run today and update later on!
cheers

mrapcraig

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Fri May 02 2014, 21:13

We let Bane up on the sofa but when he starts playing and getting a bit crazy we make him get down so he will learn sofa time = calm snug time, just so if we have people around he won't trample them.

For walking, have you tried getting him all excited as you get out the door, maybe running and calling him, jumping around with one of his toys so he almost forgets he is leaving the house and just thinks fun, lets go!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Sat May 03 2014, 00:37

Well done on the forever home 1st of all ! The zooming is normal lol. I let my 6mth up on the lounge but if he gets stupid while up there he's sent off it so he learns it's for snuggles/rest only. I've been super lucky as he's always enthusiastic to walk, so am guessing with the walking perhaps he's had a bad experience in the last day or two, or simply avoiding the wet, I'd persist and take him anyway even if it's a bit hard to start with, as everyone said consistency is the key. Good luck ! Smile
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Sun May 04 2014, 02:21

willow is allowed on sofa bed etc but knows if i tell her to get down she does as shes told! remember your incharge. i dont think any staffies like the rain but my 2 also dont like wearing their coats so u may find that a challenge to begin with, willow has had a coat for years now and still sulks when shes wearing it! she also is nearly 4 and runs round like alooney when shes got the wind in her tail! hes still such a baby have u tried teaching him fetch of a ball that tires them out kongs with treats in keep them busy lots of chew toys as hes probably teething u can get furry toys that dont have stuffing in them my 2 still love to rag them about. the walking have u checked that hes got no sore spots but persistance is a must just really shorts drags(walks) i know alot of puppies are wary and dont enjoy their first walks but u said he was ok until maybe he got wet or your dad took him and not u, maybe stick with just u for now then bring your dad along the more confident he gets who knows whats going through his mind he maybe  anxious he not coming back to his new home again be really positive lots of praise if u start to feel stressed hell pick up on it , its early days for u both dont rush things try not to stress and bless u for adopting him! if u dont have any history (sorry havnt read your intro post) on him he could have a few insecurities that pop up along the way theyll always be someone on this forum with advice he sounds like a diamond lots of firm love! good luck
willowthewisp
willowthewisp
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Need some advice on staffy x puppy management Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Sun May 04 2014, 11:26

All sound very normal and familiar don't worry we got peppa in the winter and she didn't want to go out because of the rain although she had coats/jackets but once she was out she was fine if it wasn't raining so just pick him up treat him and play outside with him and hell be fine. Im sure hell get settled in few weeks time Good job giving him a lifetime home.
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down