My bitch keeps trying to mount my new male

5 posters

Go down

My bitch keeps trying to mount my new male Empty My bitch keeps trying to mount my new male

Post by Scissorjockey Sun Apr 27 2014, 22:07

Tia is 6, and we rescued her at 6 months old. On Tuesday we gave Harold a home, hes 3.
We made sure to take her toys away, and bought new ones for both of them. They walk together brilliantly on a multi lead, and trot happily along on long walks, drink out of the same water bowl, eat at the same time with absolutely no agression. Even sleep on the same sofa . Some times they just ignore each other   But every now and again, she will start by sniffing his bum, then his penis, and then she tries to mount him, and would hump if we didnt stop her. Most of the time he ignores her, but every now and again he will let her know that hes had enough, so we have handbags at ten paces, but this is stopped with a sharp "no". Both are neutered
How do I stop her from doing this?.

Any advice or tips would be most welcome.

Thanks
Scissorjockey
Scissorjockey
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tia and Harold
Dog(s) Ages : 6 and 3
Dog Gender(s) : female and male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My bitch keeps trying to mount my new male Empty Re: My bitch keeps trying to mount my new male

Post by Sazzle Sun Apr 27 2014, 22:10

Other than discouraging the behaviour, which your doing, I'm not sure x
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

My bitch keeps trying to mount my new male Empty Re: My bitch keeps trying to mount my new male

Post by Scissorjockey Sun Apr 27 2014, 22:13

Im hoping that its her trying to assert her status in the house, and will soon stop
Scissorjockey
Scissorjockey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 27 2014, 22:45

Keep up what your doing, very early days Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Apr 27 2014, 23:16

Scissorjockey wrote:Im hoping that its her trying to assert her status in the house, and will soon stop

Think your right, I have seen this with both males and females. Sounds like what your doing is good but will just take a little time for things to settle down, even then you might find it happens from time to time.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

My bitch keeps trying to mount my new male B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Apr 28 2014, 07:45

Biscuit does this. Some dogs will tell her off themselves, which she does listen to but it has resulted in a tiff if the wrong dog tells her off. As other have said, correct with a big "no" and then distract with a toy or something. But be sure to encourage positive interactions, so praise when they're playing nicely etc.

Biscuit bumps if she's excited or anxious mostly, if we're play fighting with her she has been known to mount our leg if she gets over excited!! We corrected and replaced the behaviour enough times that now if she's getting too excited she runs and gets her teddy and gives him a chew instead. With the other dogs, sometimes it's excitement but mostly it's status. She's a very mixed up little lady bless her lol!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Scissorjockey Mon Apr 28 2014, 08:37

She has never humped before in her life, mind you up until a few months ago we couldn't even let her near other dogs, so anything is an improvement.
My husband thinks she is jealous too. If anybody fusses Harold, she runs straight over, and if anybody is playing with him and his toy she won't let him play, just growls at him and tries to mount him.

This too shall pass is my current mantra
Scissorjockey
Scissorjockey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Apr 28 2014, 09:13

Ah okay, was she not great with dogs when you took her in at 6 months? Do you know if she was socialized as a younger pup? I took Biscuit in as an adult rescue and she's still aggressive with unknown dogs, but with the right introductions can live with another dog peacefully and has a small number of play mates that she's gradually interacted with over time. She just doesn't know the rules of play and interactions so i've mixed her with lots of calm, steady dogs to teach her the rules around dogs that it would be impossible for me to teach her myself! She's getting there, but it's a long process.

It does sound like jealousy, especially as she's been on her own with you guys for so long. What are their personalities like in general? I found Biscuit and my first foster worked well together as she's quite bossy and he was the opposite, so he let her rule the roost between them but I didn't allow her to bully him, and she would have if she could! She's much nicer nowadays through boundary training! However, she has lots of rules within the home enforced by us, so if I say "enough" she knows it means "enough." Dogs will generally sort themselves out between them, but she needs to understand that you are going to fuss him/play with him and that's that. I'd suggest when she rushes in and pushes him out of the way, you ask her to sit nicely and be patient. If she continues to attention seek, ignore her. Though, when doing this, watch how she is with him as if she's used to getting attention she may take it out on him if she's not getting what she wants. You don't want to create problems with them, and to an extent dogs should figure themselves out, but if he's missing out because she's being a little madam this isn't really fair.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Scissorjockey Mon Apr 28 2014, 09:31

She had been put in a cage from a young age with an adult Mastiff. So she used to be very defensive and attack in defense, before she could be attacked. Took a baskerville muzzle, a short lead and lots of friends with dogs to cure her of that.
She is still very giddy. Jumps all over the car, even though she is harnessed in she still tries it. Cant control herself when you get the lead out, and jumps on everybody if they come to visit. He is the exact opposite. Sites up straight in the car looking out of the window, waits patiently for his harness, and I've not even heard him bark yet
Scissorjockey
Scissorjockey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Apr 28 2014, 10:15

Oh bless her Sad Sounds a lot like my girl, unfortunately I took her in at about 2/3 and she still can't cope with unknown dogs running up to her. Well their differing personalities could compliment eachother, providing she doesn't over do it with him and make his like miserable, which will take management on your part. Is she enjoying him being there in other aspects? Do they sleep together and play together in general? My last foster was a staff/lab and very in your face, bouncy and vocal. Though Biscuit is bossy with other dogs, she's very gentle, calm and quiet in the home and he really put her on edge from the constant boisterous behaviour.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Scissorjockey Mon Apr 28 2014, 11:33

Hes brilliant to be honest, just totally ignores her, or walks off. Its very rare that he will put her in her place. They will sleep quite happily on my bed together, eat bones next to each other, lie on the sofa together, drink from the same bowl, and eat together. They just dont play together yet. I think he is trying every now and again, by bouncing around next to her, or running after her, but she just growls, so he walks off. He doesnt seem miserable, absolutely loves cuddles and kisses, and is never happier than when he is cuddled up next to you, or on your knee, snoring.
She is very spoilt though, and isnt used to sharing. Hes so gentle, that he didnt mind when she took a piece of bread out of his mouth, with absolutely no agression on either part.
There hasnt been any agression really to be fair, just lots of noise
Scissorjockey
Scissorjockey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down