I have a male that i am having problems with

3 posters

Go down

I have a male that i am having problems with Empty I have a male that i am having problems with

Post by Simba92 Fri Sep 23 2011, 18:44

i have a 2 year old white male that i have only had for two months he is very loveable and vocal. His old owners didnt tell us much about his behaviour or anything really when we got him. I am currently 5 months pregnant and worried incase he attacks the baby or something. We have got a red female weve had for 2 years since she was six months and she is fine we have no concern about her. when you give simba into trouble he will sometimes growl at you and get very defensive and he can be disobeidiant he has not yet been spayed we are getting it done very soon will it help? We think that his old owners beat him up as a puppy but when he started getting older he started protesting or something and they got concerned about the his attitude towards them. we worry about his attitude and are not sure how to deal with him to get him to stop the way he acts. Our female is in season at the moment and the other night she was lying on her bed and simba was beside with his toy then all of a sudden he just went for her and left her with a hole near her nose and under her chin would that have anything to do with her being in season? we are worried incase he does it again or to the baby. we are struggling about keeping him or not and i really dont want to because he has alot of potential but any information given will be greatfully accepted
Simba92
Simba92
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Simba and roxy
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

I have a male that i am having problems with Empty Re: I have a male that i am having problems with

Post by Steve Fri Sep 23 2011, 21:49

Sound like you need to train him, daily walks 2/3 times day a hour plus each time,

Last edited by Steve on Fri Sep 23 2011, 21:54; edited 1 time in total

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

I have a male that i am having problems with Empty Re: I have a male that i am having problems with

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 21:52

I hink you need to look at getting someone to help you and train and it will be ok

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 21:55

His aggressiveness toward you're other dog could be becuase she is in season. It might be a good idea to keep them seperated espically if you are not there. You will have to train him and earn his trust. Just start with the basics and be consistant. That combined with lots of exercise should do the trick.

If you are not very experienced with dogs there is nothing wrong with seeking help from a professional.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri Sep 23 2011, 22:34

The way you are describing your dog is to me a dominant dog, added to that hes aggitated and hightened with the begining of your girls season.
It doesnt mean because he grumbles that hes been beaten it means a slight challenge on you some people feel you need to take charge I feel that with a dog like this you need to treat it differently than a freindly dog I mean never suprise it, ignore it when its grumbling a dog like him likes his own space it doesnt mean hes a nasty dog and will love and play as any but it will be on his terms.
You have to think things through and think if you can provide a home that will suit him He has been a bit to rough with your other dog but she was invading his space when he had his toy and it was his way of telling her off.
It was irrisponsible of his other owners rehoming him to you and not telling you much about him and having him castrated may not change anything.
If you feel he is too much and you need to rehome him a stafford rescue would assess him and place him in a quiet home with no young children and a only dog.
Hes not a bad dog
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 24 2011, 08:23

I think the main thing here, as jstaff said, is to earn his trust. You have 5 months until the baby is born, and I would use that time to work with the dog if you truly want to keep him.

You need to be firm and consistent in your training, but as gem said, he is a dominant dog so you need to be aware of that, but do NOT show any fear of him.

If you walk him regualarly everyday, and do simple training regulalrly, like sit, stay, paw, roll over etc, and give him treats and play as reward, he'll soon understand that you are different and will treat him with love and respect (if he was raised in any other way previously)

All dogs, and people loving dogs like staffs especially, are so loyal and loving to those who treat them well. If you and your family treat this dog the way he should be treated, he'll come good.

Walk him and your bitch together regularly, always supervise their play, and separate them if it looks like its getting OTT, and never leave them alone together.

Re the baby, I can understand your fears, and if it were me, I'd keep introducing him to baby-related things in the house, let him get the scent of things like the blankets that you will wrap your baby in, and if you do work with him and keep him, introduce your baby calmly to him, dont let any fear show. And of course, as you know, NEVER leave your dogs alone with your child.

Good luck. If you put in the time and effort, you'll be rewarded with a loyal, loving friend Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Simba92 Sat Sep 24 2011, 20:11

thank you i really appreciate the advice because i do want to keep him and try my best with him i hope i can be good enough for him to learn and behave properly. should i have a cage for him or is he fine with just his bed? I know that males are more dominant and stubborn than females so he will be a bit more work and he is already 2 i just hope he can still be changed and hes not to set in his ways. I never leave him alone with the bitch when im going out they are always in seperate rooms and she has dog pants for her season so theres no mess and if they are in another room togethor and he tries his luck he cant haha i love this site so glad i joined so much information is in here and people that have the same breed its so handy
Simba92
Simba92

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Simba and roxy
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 24 2011, 20:46

Glad you're finding the forum helpful - that's what we're here for Smile

Re the cage, thats completely up to you. I recommend cages for puppies, as they become a nice peaceful heaven for dogs and aid the house training process. Older dogs can also be crate trained and, gven the fact that he seems to like his own space, it may actually be a good idea to get him a crate. That will be like his own personal 'bedroom'. It's up to you really. You know him best. If you need any help with crate training, just ask Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down