pros and cons of neutering

5 posters

Go down

pros and cons of neutering Empty pros and cons of neutering

Post by bluediesel Fri Apr 11 2014, 17:42

hi all
Diesel is 10mths old , a lovely sweet natured dog, ? is to have him neutred or not, i have no intentions of breeding or showing him ,he is a family member, would neutering change his temperment is it better to get him done read it can help stop future health problems,what is the best age have seen views rangeing from 6mths (vet) to 2yrs ,what does it entail , what sort of problems could he have after

bluediesel
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 7mths
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

pros and cons of neutering Empty Re: pros and cons of neutering

Post by dazoldo Fri Apr 11 2014, 20:11

there is no serious evidence to suggest that neutering or speying changes an animals temprement/personality although there is plenty of anecdotal evidence where people THINK that their dogs have been changed. males may be calmer after neutering due to the reduced testosterone in the system after being 'cut'.
neutered dogs are far less likely to suffer from prostate problems and some form of cancers. speyed bitches are less likely to suffer from mastoids (mammary tumours) ovarian cancer and phantom pregnancies (very distressing for the animal) amongst a host of other problems.
there is no valid reason NOT to do it and no one ever comes up with a good enough argument against. unless you intend to become a breeder (a proper one not selling the pups in the pub for £50 each) then you have a duty to get it done as soon as he is old enough as it doesn't matter how careful you are they will find a way to spead their seed and there are too many unwanted staffies in the rescue centers as it is.

dazoldo
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : tessa
Dog(s) Ages : around 4 we think
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Apr 11 2014, 20:43

I think it really comes down to personal choice, there are arguments on both sides, I rescue so mine will always be neutered  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Fri Apr 11 2014, 21:12

i looked into neutering b4 i had chester done and found so many different opinions on the effects it can have from weight gain to growth problems! i discussed it with my vet whom i have been with for many a year and he reassured me problems are rare! i had chester done at 12months recommended by my vet and for reasons such as he is a dog aggressive dog and fairly dominant also i agreed to get chester neutered with staffyrescue! the procedure went well infact he hardly seemed bothered by it at all it has not affected his growth but has definetly helped calm him down and he has no weight problems! both my dogs are neutered and i feel that is the right chose for me no unwanted staffy pups will come from my household!!
willowthewisp
willowthewisp
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
pros and cons of neutering Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Ditchers Sat Apr 12 2014, 02:51

We too are wrestling with this one, Radley is a year old next month and the Vet mentioned about getting him neutered again.

At the moment he is calm, non-aggresive and not trying to hump everything in sight, so I am inclined to hang on for a bit.

The Vet recommended we get him done when he turns a year old, in an ideal world I would like to wait until he is 2 years old as I've heard Staffy's aren't mature until then but will probably get him done when he hits 18 months - all depends on his behaviour really going forward
Ditchers
Ditchers

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Radley
Dog(s) Ages : D.O.B. 18th May 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by bluediesel Sat Apr 12 2014, 17:08

thks all , we r due at the vets end of june ish ,for his booster jabs and will spk to the then,i agree their r too many staffies in rescue hence the ? about neutering and if i decided that it is the way to will wait until Diesel is around 18/24 mths  Smile 

bluediesel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 7mths
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down