Recall

3 posters

Go down

Recall  Empty Recall

Post by Bruno311210 Fri May 27 2011, 21:27

Tonight we took Bruno for his usual walk.

We walked our normal route straight up and then turn right, well there was a man with a stick (think it was one of collaspable ones (Sp?) we looked to see if he has dog with him and he didn't, next thing we know Bruno has jumped at him, we tried to call him but he wasn't listening properly, we got him to stop jumping or so we thought and he jumped again, and the man mumbled something about put on a lead and thought well that what we were trying to do but the puppy wasn't listening, i said he's a puppy and he's got to learn. and walked off and looked back and the man was still standing there,whether he was looking at us or the scenery i don't know.

I thought Bruno has good recall but it turns out , he doesn't. So i think he will be kept on his lead till he learns to come when call, I know he may only hear when he was but what is best way to teach him ?

The only way i can think is to do with treats, we've got some JWB minijacks treats which he goes mad, is this a good way or is there a better way, I do want to get reported for having a out of control dog

Bruno311210
Bruno311210
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Recall  Empty Re: Recall

Post by janey Fri May 27 2011, 21:42

Moo is fantastic off lead, when we are in the woods she is so busy hunting, dogs/people are know interest to her, but if we are more confined ie a park she will jump at anyone that looks at her. I still pop her on lead, and can also tell when she starts to 'home in' on people! There such friendly dogs, but I'm carfull cause Moo would knock someone clean off there feat.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Fri May 27 2011, 22:35

Keep him on one of those long leashes (tracking leads work, or you can just buy a long piece of line and a hook and make one yourself) - that way he gets the "off leash experience" and you know you have control. Just let it drag on the ground behind him and then you can just step on it if he seems to be running off. Yummy treats are good (always reward in the beginning, but after that you should only reward him on occasion - you want him to wonder if THIS is the time he gets the treat).
If he is toy motivated a game of tug-a-war can be good, too (for instance treats for good recalls and tug-a-war for the extra fast ones). Some use a kong or ball attached to a rope so the dog can't run away with it (this is YOUR toy, that you only allow the dog to borrow on special occasions. It should never be left on the floor at home, but preferably somewhere up high where the dog can see it but not reach it.) I have had stuffie lovers, so have tied a special stuffie on a rope.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27 2011, 23:53

I agree with Ane. Use a long line, but only tighten it when he won't come back, otherwise just let it trail. Also, make sure that every time he comes back to you, you give him loads of praise & play with him - tug toy or favourite squeeky. Not a ball, because you want him to come to you & stay with you, not race after a ball! Never get angry with your dog if he's come to you, even if it's taken 20 attempts at getting him back - always praise him, or he just won't want to come!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Sat May 28 2011, 07:26

Thank you everyone, I'll try that Big Grin
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 08:24

Aniemother wrote:Keep him on one of those long leashes (tracking leads work, or you can just buy a long piece of line and a hook and make one yourself) - that way he gets the "off leash experience" and you know you have control. Just let it drag on the ground behind him and then you can just step on it if he seems to be running off

Hey Ane (Aniemother) I am in a similar situation as Anne (Bruno301210) as her Bruno and my Roxy are only 2 weeks diff in age. When you say use a long leash, roughly what sort of length are we talking???????? I would like to give this a go for Roxy as most times on our everyday walks there are no other dogs and it would be great to give her the feeling of freedom while still knowing I have control.
( Sorry Anne for butting into your post Wink )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28 2011, 08:57

we have the same problem with billy and at the moment using a long rope that my hubby made we have lots of treats as billy is not too fussed about toys we have only just started this so its ongoing

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sat May 28 2011, 09:59

Loopy wrote:Hey Ane (Aniemother) I am in a similar situation as Anne (Bruno301210) as her Bruno and my Roxy are only 2 weeks diff in age. When you say use a long leash, roughly what sort of length are we talking????????
I think the tracking lines usually are 15 meters, they are generally made of nylon and are intended to drag on the ground when the dog is tracking and are good because they don't absorb water in the way most line you'd buy at the store will. However the home made ones are also good and often cheaper. I also tend to buy an even lighter line than the tracking lines, especially for puppies, so there's the smallest drag possible (you don't really want the dog to think it's on leash).
I think 10-15 meters is a good length. They can roam quite far, while it's still manageable to handle the leash. If you start with 15 and find it too long you can always remove a piece of it!
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down