Recall!

4 posters

Go down

Recall!  Empty Recall!

Post by Brindlestaffy Thu Jul 21 2011, 15:48

What's the best way to get your dogs to come back when you shout them, if my OH shouts our two they come straight back. If I shout them it's like they've gone deaf! They ran straight up to a woman walking her dog this morning and covered her in mud I was about 100 yards away shouting them, they just totally ignored me. Needless to say, she wasn't happy as she was wearing white trousers! oops I dont want to s

I've tried carrying treats round, they ignore the treats when they are out on a walk so I'm not too sure what else I can try!
Brindlestaffy
Brindlestaffy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Brock and Jeff :)
Dog Gender(s) : Brock - female, Jeff - male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Recall!  Empty Re: Recall!

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 15:49

You need something that will get thier attention i find a squeaky toy will get thier attention then a treat when they come back x

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Thu Jul 21 2011, 16:21

Technically you need to make yourself fun enough for the dogs to prefer you over other things. How you do that can differ from dog to dog, but things like tug games with a toy and yummy treats can help. (Not only on walks, but around the house, too. I like Susan Garrets way of saying it- the owner should be "the keeper of the joy".) And make sure calling your dog isn't really you telling them that the fun is over. If you only call the dogs to get them away from other dogs, so you can go home from the park, to come have their nails clipped etcetera you end up teaching the dogs it's better not to come..

Also - if the command you're using today isn't working, replace it when you teach them to come properly. If they associate "come" with "if you've got nothing more fun to do you could always come to me" it's better to start with a new word rather than altering their perception of the meaning of the word "come"(or whatever word you're using).

You can check out "recall games" on youtube for lots of good ideas on how to train.
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jul 21 2011, 16:24

I'm lucky, Moo comes when I shout her, I think with her it's my tone of voice, so not much help. Why oh why would you wear white trousers dog walking Laughing I'd be filthy everytime!! Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 17:55

janey wrote:I'm lucky, Moo comes when I shout her, I think with her it's my tone of voice, so not much help. Why oh why would you wear white trousers dog walking Laughing I'd be filthy everytime!! Xx
same as my mom lol, her tone of voice makes them come over straight away, VINNIE SKYE *ZOOM* they're there lol* .. DROP IT! *WALAH* they drop it lmao

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 19:46

Good advice there!

Until you've got the recall perfect, you could try putting them on long lines & letting the lines trail, but never beyond your grabbing range! Then if you call them & they don't listen (selectively deaf!) then you can pick up the line & reel them in!

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Fri Jul 22 2011, 10:26

I just walk off in the opposite direction and say "bye or cya then" and Lola comes, then when I think she is about to do a u turn I run and she runs after me.

Or if that fails I just scream BISCUIT and that usually works Big Grin
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 12:07

When Suki was about 4-5 months old, I tought her to "wait" first by using a treat. Then, when she could wait until I walked out of her sight, I waited a bit then I gave her the "come" command. If she came, I gave her a treat. I was having the distance between me and her longer and the time for her to wait longer each day. By doing this as a game inside the house everyday, I think that the recall command got inprinted in her mind. Now we can off-leash her outside without worry because she will come back when we call her. (Mrs. Jstaff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Fri Jul 22 2011, 14:51

That sounds like a great recall game, Mrs. Jstaff! Gummi doesn't have a stay command yet, but I've tried something similar leaving treats on the ground for him to search out and eat before I call for him. Only works with really yummy treats, though, or he'll just follow me before I call. Big Grin
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brindlestaffy Sun Jul 24 2011, 23:28

To be honest their recall for their ages is fantastic, I can shout them to stand and way when they are 100 yards away. Brock will sit and wait for you, they also come back brilliantly. The only problem is when they see other dogs, because there's two of them if I shout them one will come back then the other will run to the other dog, then the other dog follows. They are like bill and ben ha ha. For their ages they are fantastic, really obedient. Like I say the only problem is when they see other dogs, could be my fault as I have really encouraged them to be social with other dogs so now when they see other dogs they seem to think "yey, it's play time"!!
Brindlestaffy
Brindlestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25 2011, 00:00

I think the real problem here is their ages. They're still such babies & other dogs are SO interesting!

I think if you just stay patient & keep up the training they'll get the idea soon!

Back to top Go down

Post by Brindlestaffy Mon Jul 25 2011, 00:31

Thank you for your replies, I'm going to try liver treats see if that will get them interested instead of playing with other dogs. Hopefully with lots of perseverence we will get there, give me two kids any day atleast they are open to negotiation!
Brindlestaffy
Brindlestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content