Recall

4 posters

Go down

Recall Empty Recall

Post by stiofan Wed Nov 09 2011, 16:06

I have been using a long line for Kasidy to help her recall, stop her running over to every black lab she spots.I decided to clip it on every time we are chucking balls about, doesn't bother her but makes me feel more relaxed and we have more fun. Someone in the park thought it was cruel? i think it is keeping her safe and it has no effect unless i pick it up to make sure she comes to me instead of getting into trouble when she picks the wrong dog. She is very well behaved except for her legging it if she spots a black dog.Hopefully i will get her recall sorted . What do you think?.
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Recall Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Recall Empty Re: Recall

Post by linzy Wed Nov 09 2011, 16:45

People in the park are constantly telling me to let Violet off leash. But, although her recall is good most times, she's only 6 months old, the vets don't want to microchip her until she's bigger so she's not chipped yet (although I've pre-paid for it in her puppy pack), and she's too boisterous to be let loose if little kids are around (not that she's aggressive, but if she zooms into them, someone could end up hurt). So she's only let off leash if I have someone with me, and it's a fenced off area with no one else about. She loves being out on her extending lead though, and she can zoom about on that without getting into too much trouble!

I think you're just being responsible by keeping your dog on a long lead - it gives them freedom whilst still looking after them.
linzy
linzy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Nov 09 2011, 17:38

I have found that it is best to ignore other owners at the park who express thier "beliefs." Had one the other day get up in a huff because my male is unaltered (nobody would know as he doesn't exhibit male dominance and avoids confrontational dogs). She told me that unaltered dogs disrupt the peace. I just stared at her (probably not the kindest look...), and she left in a huff. Seems like dog people always have strong oppinions and some don't know how to keep them to themselves. Funny enough, they usually aren't very good owners or very educated on dog behavior to begin with, they just think they are. I keep mine on an extendable lead under certain circumstances as well. You know your dog best.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2011, 18:32

i think most people on here would agree that there is nothing wrong with the long leash as we have more control over our dog and we feel safer. the dog doesnt care if he's on it or not so long as he can move but we have had far too many incidents to let them go on a full park becasue the staffy always gets the blame even though its our dogs that are coming off worse. i will keep my 2 safe and sound on a lead if there are others about that i dont know if we are alone they can have a good free run

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2011, 21:41

Cruel? Utter rubbish!

Sensible, more like....unlike an awful lot of other dog owners around!

I keep Dempsey on a lead when there are other dogs around, and only let him off if I know the coast is clear. I know my dog, and I know his reactions to other dogs (dominance) so to avoid trouble I clip on the lead. And, yes, I've been told that's cruel as well!

A long line is fine - you carry on doing what you're doing & ignore the ignoramus's that pass themselves off as dog 'experts'!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 10 2011, 10:29

I keep mine on a lead unless they are in an enclosed area, there arent any fields where i live just parks and my mum lives beside a farm so letting them off there is a no no. The park beside my house has an enclosed area for dogs. I dont see it as cruel at all, I feel like I'm keeping them safe and doing the best I can to avoid any problems with other dogs/animals and people. I've had people saying I should let Millie off but I'm sure they would be the first to complain and say she should be on a lead if she ran at them full speed to say hello and knocked them over Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 10 2011, 10:32

Millie&Bella wrote: I dont see it as cruel at all, I feel like I'm keeping them safe and doing the best I can to avoid any problems with other dogs/animals and people.

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 10 2011, 11:30

Definately not cruel. Suki stays on a short lead most of the time. We let her off at the dog park since her recall is really good and she won't stray too far.

At the beach we use a long lead so she has her freedoom but we can keep her from eating things that she shouldn't. You know your dog best and whatever makes you the most comfortable is the best option.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Nov 11 2011, 15:49

Dont be silly its not cruel at all! Your doing whats best for your dog and thats keeping her safe and controlled, the people who say things like that will only learn the hard way when their dog runs into the road or something.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com