Walkies... (older Staff)

2 posters

Go down

Walkies... (older Staff) Empty Walkies... (older Staff)

Post by Sir_Maximus_I Mon Nov 26 2012, 21:24

Ok, i'm sure it varies between Staffs and their owners,

right now Max is 11 yrs old and in perfect shape for a Medium-Small Staffordshire bull..

But i'm currently not walking him right now (i can't) because he is with my mum whilst he visits the vets for eye treatment (yes, he had ulcers.. had ..which have cleared up nicely - i'd like to offer advice for others maybe here..?..)

anyway, like I say he has no walks, and the only exercise he gets is a run in the garden at my mumz (whenever he wants to.. which is anytime he hears something he is interested in..!!)

On the whole he gets a good run around in the morning, noon, tea time, bed time.. only in the garden which isnt too small either.. and she lets him stay out for a while..

Until last year I had been walking him daily, about 1/2 mile tops, every evening to calm him down before bed..!!
He no longer gets a daily walk, and might never get to live with me again.. doh (??)

Any advice from professional owners on this??

(Many thanks)
Sir_Maximus_I
Sir_Maximus_I
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sir Maximus I
Dog(s) Ages : 11
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Walkies... (older Staff) Empty Re: Walkies... (older Staff)

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 21:37

Has the vet advised against walking? If not is there a good dog walker in the area?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 21:48

As with humans, the more active they keep their brains the more healthy they are.

I'm sure he would rather go out for walks more. 11 is not old he has a good few years ahead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir_Maximus_I Mon Nov 26 2012, 22:27

Well the reason why he is stuck with my mum is the eyes, which have healed well.. however that took well over a year of treatment using various eye drops and lotions, which my mum administered (he received treatment like a soldier..) and they kept taking him to the vets reguraly, also checking his overall health - including his paws that he tends to enjoy chewing!
I think he gets eye drops twice a day now only as a prevention method for future ulcers.. lets hope he never gets them back!
I need my lad back so that I can take care of his walking rotuine, or he will start to get lazy and gain weight i'd imagine.. He has a smaller diet now due to less exercise..
Sir_Maximus_I
Sir_Maximus_I

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Walkies... (older Staff) Empty pix

Post by Sir_Maximus_I Mon Nov 26 2012, 22:36

jstaff wrote:Has the vet advised against walking? If not is there a good dog walker in the area?

I couldnt let anybody do that.. Its me and him only for walkies.... Love Struck
if anything happens to him i'm laying him to rest.... Crying or Very sad
Sir_Maximus_I
Sir_Maximus_I

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 22:41

I understand why he had to be kept at your mothers, but his treatment is over now. I think it is time to take him back and start walking again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir_Maximus_I Mon Nov 26 2012, 22:44

Yeah definately! ..he chews his paws alot and I thinik thats because he is now bored and energetic and needs walks to spend the enerrgy..! lol
Sir_Maximus_I
Sir_Maximus_I

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 22:58

Is there a reason why he's still at your mum's? If not, and you want to be the one to walk him, you should get him back home with you so he can get back to his walks. I don't know how much walk an 11 year old Staff should get, and like you said I'm sure it differs depending on the dog, but running around in the garden isn't as good as going on proper walks, and I reckon it'd stop the chewing his paws too. So if possible, get him back with you. If not, maybe you could go to your mum's to take him on walks, if she doesn't live too far away? Hope his eyes never give him any bother anymore Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 23:31

Sir_Maximus_I wrote:Yeah definately! ..he chews his paws alot and I thinik thats because he is now bored and energetic and needs walks to spend the enerrgy..! lol

Paw chewing isn't really bordom thing, its more an irritation thing. Licking or destruction is more classic boredom.

But i may be wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Nov 27 2012, 16:23

Hayley wrote:I understand why he had to be kept at your mothers, but his treatment is over now. I think it is time to take him back and start walking again.

I agree with this, time to get him settled back into your routine with you. Would he be able to visit your Mum on occasions so she can still see him from time to time, as I'm sure they will have formed a bond.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down