Camping dilemma.

+2
Kerrby
Skylas-mom
6 posters

Go down

Camping dilemma. Empty Camping dilemma.

Post by Skylas-mom Mon May 09 2011, 19:58

So,we go camping at a site in Wales each year (dog friendly) and were thinking of taking Skye with us this year,she is part of the family now after all.
Only Skyla HATES other dogs and there are an awful lot there...we could 'tie her up' so to speak in the tent but that doesn't seem fair,and what about night time?! She'd be off Surprised
Does anyone else have a dog aggressive stafflette that has been in a tent for a week? Or is she best in a dog hotel for the week?
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skyla
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Camping dilemma. Empty Re: Camping dilemma.

Post by Kerrby Mon May 09 2011, 20:08

Never had a staffy camping with me, but I had the worlds most dog-aggressive shepherd out tent camping, some of the skills and tricks I learned are transferable.

Step 1: Keep that lead on - I used her walking lead most of the time, to keep her near, and so she's out and about, but also restrained from going after other dogs.

Step 2: If you end up in a more enclosed spot, long lead the pooch, so she has some free roam ability, but still is restrained (I always tied Sasha to a tree near forested areas, or to a picnic table if they are provided).

Step 3: On walks around the site, if you see people walking their dogs, just give a quick shoutout that your does NOT like other dogs. Usually enough to get them to give you a wide enough berth, and (at least in canada), if you give the warning, and the dogs do go at it, your legally protected.

Step 4: at night time, long lead them, and do a pace around the lot to ensure they cannot reach other sites, or if your brave like me, just clip their nails short before you go, and bring them right on into the tent, tie the long lead to your ankle, and g'nite!
Kerrby
Kerrby
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Voodoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrby Mon May 09 2011, 20:09

I think camping is one of the greatest bonding experiences for an owner and a dog. It removes most distractions and really gets you out enjoying the world, however, with a dog aggresive pooch, keep that lead on em.

They're just happy to be outside with you. Dog's don't care about the lead as much as we think they do.
Kerrby
Kerrby

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylas-mom Mon May 09 2011, 20:13

I thought 4 kids in a tent was a challenge....this is gonna be something else!
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrby Mon May 09 2011, 20:17

Wow!

Did not see that 4 kids in a tent things coming. That's a lotta bodies. Well done btw!

But in all seriousness, its not terrible. I managed for 12 or so years of constant camping, and as long as you keep them on a lead, it's all good. Never free range your dog in a campground. Too much going on. Usually other owners do the same (90% of the time).
Kerrby
Kerrby

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylas-mom Mon May 09 2011, 20:26

Kerrby wrote:Wow!

Did not see that 4 kids in a tent things coming. That's a lotta bodies. Well done btw!

But in all seriousness, its not terrible. I managed for 12 or so years of constant camping, and as long as you keep them on a lead, it's all good. Never free range your dog in a campground. Too much going on. Usually other owners do the same (90% of the time).

I try not to free range the kids but they do object.
It just worries me having her there on that little 'pole'thing.Is it strong enough to hold her? She is very strong....i don't want to wake up with her in a field of sheeps.
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrby Mon May 09 2011, 20:33

Yeah, a tent pole certainly won't hold her. That's why I say tie her to a bench/tree, and bring her into the tent that way, or preferably, tie her to your ankle.

If you plan on going out a lot and leaving her, then tie her to a tree, and put her in the tent (yeah, the door won't close all the way with the lead in the way, but it should keep her mostly blind to all the excitement, and witha strong enough lead (I would use one of the metal wire outside ties) the tree certainly won't give way!
Kerrby
Kerrby

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylas-mom Mon May 09 2011, 20:37

We do go out an awful lot.This will have to stop now i guess.
Oh sod it,he can take the smallies and i'll stay home.
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylas-mom Mon May 09 2011, 20:40

Kerrby wrote:Yeah, a tent pole certainly won't hold her. That's why I say tie her to a bench/tree, and bring her into the tent that way, or preferably, tie her to your ankle.

If you plan on going out a lot and leaving her, then tie her to a tree, and put her in the tent (yeah, the door won't close all the way with the lead in the way, but it should keep her mostly blind to all the excitement, and witha strong enough lead (I would use one of the metal wire outside ties) the tree certainly won't give way!

Can you see me strolling up Rhyl arcades with a dog stuck to my leg?!
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrby Mon May 09 2011, 20:42

Skylas-mom wrote:We do go out an awful lot.This will have to stop now i guess.
Oh sod it,he can take the smallies and i'll stay home.

Hahaha. Just take him with ya when you go. I'm sure he can handle a raft and beach volleyball (or whatever you get up to just as well as any vertically challenged human!)

However, your second comment reminds me more of myself now. "Seems like a lot of work" is an expression invading my life more and more. Remember, dogs, like people, enjoy barking (seriously, I do bark... don't judge me) at Call of Duty and the treadmill.
Kerrby
Kerrby

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrby Mon May 09 2011, 20:43

Skylas-mom wrote:
Can you see me strolling up Rhyl arcades with a dog stuck to my leg?!

Haha, I have no idea what a Rhyl arcade is, but if it's what I literally assume it is... probably not!
Kerrby
Kerrby

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylas-mom Mon May 09 2011, 20:48

Lmfao! CoD is the kids thing...can just see me prancing around with doglette whilst they do the 'bang bang' thing Rolling Eyes
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09 2011, 21:04

I went camping with Dempsey last year & although it had its problems we coped pretty well.

We used two ground tethers (a big corkscrew in the ground with a loop at the top to fasten the lead to), one for outside the tent & one for inside (our tent has a hole in the groundsheet for anchoring the kids' bed areas, and it's just the right size for the corkscrew!).

He got away from us once (my son was supposed to be watching him & let him get out of the tent!) and he did his "I'm the boss round here" act with a young boxer a couple of tents away, but we stopped any harm happening & the couple with the boxer were fine about it.

We took him everywhere with us, though, including pubs in the evening. I cooked on a calor gas stove for breakfast & evening meal & we picnic'd lunchtime.

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Tue May 10 2011, 08:50

We are taking Polly camping with us next week, but we have a camper so slightly different, the only thing I am worried about is if it gets hot the camper and tents can get stiffling, our other dogs are white so they don't get as hot as Polly who is brindle when they are out in the sunshine. I can see the paddling pool will be coming with us again.

We have a couple of those screw into the ground things for putting their leads onto. We usually water the ground to make sure they screw in nice and deep and then the sun bakes the ground hard again so they don't pull out. Our old Rottie cross never managed it even when he saw a cat once, although He did rip his way out of our tent one night when we heard a child being smacked and then screaming and he was worried about it. Surprised

I did see a German Shepherd pull the bumper off a car once when it saw something it wanted to chase on a campsite so make sure any tethering points are stonger than your dog Laughing
You'll only find out what it will be like once you do it, some dogs love it some don't, our old greyhound hated it and so she had some lovely holidays with my parents while we took the other dogs and kids away.

Just take it as it comes and have a great holiday

Tina
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by burties35 Tue May 10 2011, 09:42

We took Bodhi camping the other weekend for the bank holiday. We took a corkscrew thing and wire and just made sure he was restricted to our pitch we did also take his crate which we put in the awning for bedtime and when we popped to the pub for a couple. He was golden, behaved really well and seemed to enjoy the great outdoors.
burties35
burties35
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Camping dilemma. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bodhi
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Tue May 10 2011, 10:54

took buster camping after only having him 2 week got a chain for him and it was surpost to be very strong he broke it after 5 mins trying to chase another dog so had to take a trip to local hardwear store to fix it

Big Grin any way good luck
buster2011
buster2011
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Camping dilemma. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylas-mom Tue May 10 2011, 18:29

buster2011 wrote:took buster camping after only having him 2 week got a chain for him and it was surpost to be very strong he broke it after 5 mins trying to chase another dog so had to take a trip to local hardwear store to fix it

Big Grin any way good luck

Lol! This is what worries me Laughing
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa & Kuta Wed May 11 2011, 08:20

We take Kuta camping all the time, he loves it. However, he gets along well with other dogs. We bought a 5 metre long lead to tie him up at night, maybe you could do the same. If you stay around the camp site, you can have him on the chain, he will be happy with you there anyway. And if yor a walk, just put hinm on his normal lead.
I'm sure he would rather be there with you and on a long lead, than at a boarding kennel for the whole time.
Good luck tho.
Lisa & Kuta
Lisa & Kuta

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kuta & Brutus
Dog Gender(s) : both Males

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down