Puppy dilemma

Go down

Surprised Puppy dilemma

Post by Ian2785 Sun Sep 30 2012, 02:19

Hi guys and girls.

Really new to this forum lark so forgive me for slow replys etc.

I was hoping you could help me with something?

We have a 1 year old staffy called max Smile

We love him to bits really warm hearted dog just loves attention of anyone. However we have a small problem with him going to the toilet in the kitchen.

Now let me clear the basics here because he his toilet trained! When he was small he used to go in the kitchen on the newspaper. Then came outside when we are in he comes up to us and lets us know he wants to go out we let him out he does his business and comes back in. Same on walks he'll do everything on walks no problem.

However when we are going out and leaving him alone or going to bed, we let him out before hand then leave him. Sometimes he can go all night and not do anything. Other time he seems to always have left us with a mess to clean up he next morning in the kitchen. Same when we go out we can let hime out to go the toilet, go out for 3 hours come back and find hes gone in the kitchen other times we can go out and come back to nothing. But when we are around he never goes in the house.

Is this natural for his age? If not how can we stop it? Weve tried telling him off and putting his nose in it but it seemed to do no difference.

Any help would be great thanks
Ian2785
Ian2785
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Surprised Re: Puppy dilemma

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30 2012, 03:40

Welcome Smile

I can't really offer you advice on how to handle it, sorry. But I will say that you should never rub their nose in it, it doesn't work at all. Nor does telling them off after it's already happened. Unless you catch him doing it, don't bother telling him off; he won't understand what you're telling him off for, won't make a difference. Anyway, I hope someone comes along soon with some advice for the problem Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30 2012, 05:58

Definately don't rub his nose in it or tell him off. It won't help him learn and it may cause him to find other places to go that are harder to find.

He is likely anxious and having a bit of seperation anxiety. Try making sure he is exercised before you leave him so that he will just rest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30 2012, 08:41

As Jstaff said, rubbing his nose in it will only encourage him to go and do it somewhere you won't find it, and as Tara said, telling him off after he has done it is no good, he'll have no idea what you're telling him off for and will probably think you're a little bit mad Big Grin

I agree with Jstaff, I think its separation anxiety, I had a greyhound that did exactly the same when he was left alone. For the nighttimes, I moved him into my room which stopped the overnight messes immediately. Leaving him during the day was more difficult. I made sure he had a really good walk before we left, and left him with a Kong and toys to entertain him and I left the tv or radio on for him. Sometimes I would still come back to a mess, he really didn't like to be alone and actually tried to chew through the door to get out!

Its just trial and error and perseverance until you find what works with your dog. You could also try having a word with your vet who may be able to give you some practical tips.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30 2012, 09:22

Agree as above , rubbing the nose in it is definitely not recommended and also as said telling off neither as he really won't understand what he has done wrong.
A good amount of exercise before you go out rather than being let out to toilet will help you a lot, how much exercise does he presently get

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian2785 Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:33

Thanks people surprised to get replies so fast. Some forums are slow.

He gets walked twice a day. Once in morning then when i get in from work round 5. However if im on a late it'll be around 8 by the time we walk him.

Ive heard alot of people mentioning those kong toys? Will they withstand his desire to destroy most toys within minutes? Ha ha. Looking at the pictures of everyones dogs. They are all so cute.
Ian2785
Ian2785

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:38

Kongs are great staffy toys , you can put in the food and then freeze it to make more of a challenge , pretty much staffy proof.

We love pics on here so please feel free to bombard us with yours Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian2785 Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:41

Dave wrote:Kongs are great staffy toys , you can put in the food and then freeze it to make more of a challenge , pretty much staffy proof.

Thanks ill look to invest. Whats best to put in them? He used to have a treat ball but he basically took it to his bed and cracked it open ha ha. Waste of five pound that was. Laughing
Ian2785
Ian2785

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30 2012, 16:49

Ian2785 wrote:
Dave wrote:Kongs are great staffy toys , you can put in the food and then freeze it to make more of a challenge , pretty much staffy proof.

Thanks ill look to invest. Whats best to put in them? He used to have a treat ball but he basically took it to his bed and cracked it open ha ha. Waste of five pound that was. Laughing

I'll fill the Kong with treats, his biscuits and seal it with peanut butter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down