Bed Dilemma

+2
Maria90
Rosie3
6 posters

Go down

Bed Dilemma Empty Bed Dilemma

Post by Rosie3 Thu Aug 01 2013, 14:05

I introduced myself and our unnamed Pup the other day (looks like he's going to be a Bruno).
My partner and I are gradually buying things for him, we're moving house next week so don't want to buy too much before we move so we'll have extra to pack! We have a crate with a cushion in it to bring him home and that's where he'll be sleeping at night in our bedroom at first so we can hear him and then downstairs eventually.
We would like to get him a bed that he will have downstairs to nap in throughout the day if he wants to but oh my days it is hard work finding a bed!!
We want something with sides, but not a rigid bed, and we'd ideally like it to last until he's an adult too so would have to be big enough for a full grown lad.

Do you have any recommendations for beds? We don't mind paying a little extra if it will last but can't spend extortionate amounts. What size beds do your staffies enjoy the most, are they curler uppers or do they spread out? I suppose we won't know what our pup likes until he's home.

Next to his name it's the hardest decision we've come across so far! Hope someone can help us! Big Grin

Rosie and (probably)Bruno x
Rosie3
Rosie3
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Bed Dilemma Empty Re: Bed Dilemma

Post by Maria90 Thu Aug 01 2013, 14:09

Hi Rosie Smile

Love the name Bruno! Its so cute! We didn't crate Rocky, but many members here do crate, also we bought the largest possible size bed for Rocky to lounge around in and sleep, I find Rocky does like to spread on, especially on his back, feet in the air and thrown about the place (its super cute) I cant recommend any places as im in Australia, so unsure of the best places to visit for beds Smile You will have to post pics of Bruno when he gets his new bed!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Aug 01 2013, 14:14

Hi Rosie, I've crated Zeus since day one and have had plenty of experience with beds. I first started off by putting in an oval bed, similar to this:

Bed Dilemma Prd34e21163-53ed-48ec-989f-c95bd07984ab

For the first few weeks, he was fine with it, but then his teeth developed a bit and he chewed it apart.

After this, we had a number of other beds which Zeus simply kept chewing up. In the end, we put down a flat spongey mattress for him, which my Mum sewed a fleecy material onto, this worked a treat and has done ever since. From the age of a few months to now (18 months), he's never gone for it or tried chewing it up.

So my advice would be to get a flat, spongey bed, especially at such a young age. Don't spend too much money, as 'Bruno' will most likely go for it, especially when he's going to be crated.

goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 14:19

Vinnie only uses his crate for sleeping as he is used to it, but do make sure the size is big as they defo do like to stretch out very much so.Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu Aug 01 2013, 15:21

When I was in your position I asked the same question and most people replied not to spend lots of money on a bed. An old coat or folded up blanket would suffice as he is likely to tear them apart anyway, so wait until he's past this stage before spending your hard earned. I ignored them all and was very lucky ( apparently ) as Bacchus has never been destructive.
Re the sleeping arrangements... personaly I would start as you mean to go on. If you want him to sleep in your room fair enough, but, be aware, staffies are notorious for their silent but deadly farts which can melt iron bars at 40 paces especially when very young and experimenting with different foods.
I started Bacchus from day one in a large crate in the conservatory and hid treats in his bedding which made going to his crate both fun and exciting. On his last toilet trip at night I would make sure he did 1s and 2s then put him into his crate with a kong stuffed with a little mashed sweet potato and no fuss. Just put him in and close the gate. This would normally be around 11pm and I would set my alarm for 3am and get up and take him out, let him do his business and put him back in his crate and go back to bed. This early morning toilet outing must be done without any fuss. No attention should be paid to him, other than lots of praise when he "goes", no matter how cute he looks or how sad the big eyes appear. If he cries when put back in his crate ignore him. His needs have been met and he only wants attention. If you give into this he will catch on and play on it. They are very smart little dogs and will manipulate you given half a chance. I was very tired and tetchy for a few weeks but it paid off. He is 1year old now and I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to get up during the night. He now has the run of the house day and night, but if he comes upstairs to our bedroom I know there is good reason ( upset tummy and needing to go etc).
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 01 2013, 16:11

Rocky bed is an Earth Bound bed which was made in the UK surprisingly.

We got it the day we got him from Wood Green Rescue Centre nearly 3 years ago now. It has lasted very well and still looks like new. Rocky has never attempted to chew his bed, one of the few things on this list.

The bed looks similar to the one in the link below which is also an Earth Bound bed. It's approx 2 feet across at the widest part and Rocky loves to curl up inside it in the evenings, when he's not on our bed that is.

http://www.sam-turner.co.uk/pets/earthbound-xtra-medium-tweed-dog-bed-brown.html?gclid=CKTdm8jD3LgCFU_MtAodLEUAAQ
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu Aug 01 2013, 16:27

T K Maxx also do a reasonably priced line in dog beds. Have had one with sides ( so nice and snuggly ) since Bacchus was a pup. It gets machine washed and tumble dried and still looks like new. The brand is Chilli-Dog but they do all sorts.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Thu Aug 01 2013, 16:47

Hi Thistle is 4 months (nearly) now, I have been lucky with her sleep patterns, she is a lazy dog. I started her in a crate, in the kitchen. she slept all night from the off, but I noticed she was peeing in her bed, she had an old towel and a soft dog mattress, so I left her crate door open and she got up and wee'd when she wanted at night. I also have a hard plastic type bed in my living room, again full of old towels and an old jumper of mine, so she has a choice now of where to sleep. She chews the plastic bed but I don't mind that better than my furniture. She has learn't to open the door from the kitchen to the living room, so at night when I crate her, she will inevitably be found fast asleep in her bed in the living room when I come down in the morning, She still takes herself back into the kitchen for a wee, although I have had a couple of dry nights now, I can't be bothered to get up in the early hours and she never makes a fuss, so as far as toilet training we will get there eventually, she can hold her poos Smile My advice would be to get her a hard plastic bed, more durable and washable, just make it cosy with old towels and stuff, they love to snuggle in, they don't care what the bedding looks like. You can often find them in charity shops, towels and dog beds.
Nuala
Nuala
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Thistle
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down