humping my leg

2 posters

Go down

humping my leg Empty humping my leg

Post by mazzyboo Wed Nov 27 2013, 10:58

hi everyone Smile 

Well Wispa started humping my leg today and was thinking it could have been out of frustration and excitement due to him not having his walk yesterday.  I am aware that this behaviour in dogs can be dominance also but what signs are there or other forms of behaviour that could support that?  When he did it twice in the space of about five minutes i just old him to leave as he knows that command very well and distracted him with a toy.

I had to physically move him the first time.  he is not long turned 7months and i've had him since he just turned 4months.  I usually take him with me to drop kids to school/nursery then go straight to the fields with him for about 45mins.  then walk him again before school run for about the same length.  before it got dark i would do his second walk after school with the kids for longer but don't like being out in dark with all the kids.
im thinkng i may have to up this walk to about an hour each now?

Two days in the week the youngest are off nursery so come with me but each of my twins fell ill so couldnt take them out yesterday with me hence why i think humping out of frustration?
i have asked my sister to come and sit with my little ones them today so i can give him a good walk.  
the thing is the last two walks he's had were both was cut short because he wanted to go home!

When my oh is home it helps  he works away part of the week on contract as self employed  so this job will be over this week. He helps with walking wispa and he feels that wispa may be cold and thats why he wants to go home, especially during the evening walks. but we usually get him to get walking and everythings fine.  

I dont think anythings spooked him as he did it (wanted to go home) both at the field and on the street these last two walks.  He does do it when he senses it wil rain too Laughing 
well we're going to invest in a coat for him not sure which, from where, i know some sites are mentioned on here though so will definately have a look and order one.

so does his humping sound like frustration or dominance and am i handling it right do you think?
thankyou for reading
mazzyboo
mazzyboo
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : wispa
Dog(s) Ages : 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

humping my leg Empty Re: humping my leg

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27 2013, 11:52

I take it he hasn't been neutered?

I think it may be a combination of things. He could be missing the extra time on his walk, he could have raging hormones (men Rolling Eyes ) or it could be behavioural (so-called dominance). I doubt it's the last one if he's never shown any signs of behaviour problems before.

I didn't ask about neutering because he should be neutered (neutering won't necessarily stop humping), just that from a hormonal point of view, an unneutered pup will have a bigger surge of testosterone than a neutered one.

Also, what do you feed him & has his food changed recently?

Back to top Go down

Post by mazzyboo Wed Nov 27 2013, 13:45

thankyou caryll,

he eats jwb with nature diet trays, the only thing i changed was the nature diet trays from the jwb pouches. the jwb pouvhes gave him awful wind sick plus the packs are a lot smaller than nature diet.
i give him the sensitive ones and had it for just under two weeks.

he loves them. not really a fan of wet food i originally thought it may be an allergy problem due to him itching so changed a while back from royal to jwb when he was 5months. but thought jwb pouches might help him to eat his kibble as he wont eat it alone and was trying to elimate my own toppings for awhile.  so he just gts jwb and tray. also jwb treats

no he isnt neutered so you guessed right Smile 

but to be honest im not sure it is an allergy problem anymore and more convinced its this dermedex that i read others speak of on here so booking him in for vets.  he dont itch loads but because ive noticed small patches i want him looked over.

yeah his behaviour is generally good, he gets a bit excited some times but generally quite calm.  just working on him taking his fetch toy when he drops it for me without attacking my hand but getting better. 

Just learning to control him being excited in the house so helps me to manage outside but doing much better. the only other thing i've noticed that he's jumped up on me and ive had to tell him 'down' twice which has just come to mind

other than that being his usual self

thx again Smile
mazzyboo
mazzyboo

Status Status :

Female
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27 2013, 13:51

Humping is part of doggie growing up. Just keep on either distracting him (if you can!) or a firm "no" and physically push him down, then ignore the way you would with nipping. He'll grow out of it as long as you're consistent.

Back to top Go down

Post by mazzyboo Wed Nov 27 2013, 16:45

thankyou caryll Smile 
mazzyboo
mazzyboo

Status Status :

Female