Humping

Go down

Humping Empty Humping

Post by reuben Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:02

Bacchus is now 7mths old and for the last couple of weeks when we meets his friends all he wants to do is hump them. As long as they keep on the move, playing chase etc. he's fine but the minute they stand still he's on them. I put him back on the leash when it gets too much but he doesn't seem to get the message. I worry that he will alienate us if the other owners get fed up of this.

Is this a stage he will grow out of ?

Any advice on discouraging this behaviour?

I don't want to have to keep him on the leash all the time as he needs to run with his pals or chase a ball to tire him, and according to the experienced staffy people on this forum he is far too young to consider neutering.

On the positive side, he is fantastically well behaved in the house for such a young dog and so loving.

Help.

reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Humping Empty Re: Humping

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:07

You just need to step in & discourage him or distract him each & every time he does it. It isn't sexual, although the hormones will have triggered it, it's a normal reaction in dog & bitch puppies. Castration won't stop it, only training! Big Grin

Just a firm "No!" or "Leave!" or some other 'trigger' word, and if he doesn't stop, take his collar, repeat the word & pull him away. Once he's calmed down a little he can re join the play!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 12:58

It might be excitement or a dominance thing, but either way, I'd follow Caryll's advice. Loki only ever used to hump his monkey teddy, but we'd just distract him from it for a bit. I don't know if it was something about the teddy he was attracted to or if he grew out of it, but he doesn't do it anymore, so maybe Bacchus will realise it means he'll have to stop playing for a moment and stop it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 21:58

Laughing Steff humps all her friends Blushing Its soo embarassing, but now I can pick when she is thinking about i step in and stop her every time she tries.. Surprised She is a little loopy silly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 23:47

Caryll wrote:You just need to step in & discourage him or distract him each & every time he does it. It isn't sexual, although the hormones will have triggered it, it's a normal reaction in dog & bitch puppies. Castration won't stop it, only training! Big Grin

Just a firm "No!" or "Leave!" or some other 'trigger' word, and if he doesn't stop, take his collar, repeat the word & pull him away. Once he's calmed down a little he can re join the play!

Agreed Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down