News about My Boy and his Bone eating Problem

+4
ardvark
hollymolly
debbiewaterhouse
Lizzie
8 posters

Go down

News about My Boy and his Bone eating Problem Empty News about My Boy and his Bone eating Problem

Post by Lizzie Wed May 04 2011, 21:57

The Vets rang me this morning to say Harry was much brighter, had eaten a small breakfast and if the food didn't go through him he could come home at 1pm. I rang at 12.30 and checked before going to collect him but when they went to get him out of his crate he was sick for the first time and they decided to keep him in which I fully understand. But I insisted on seeing him, all he could do was raise his eyes to look at me when he heard my voice. It was terrible to see him like that, but he did give me his paw before I left.

So twice now he has relapsed when being given even a small amount of food, so I asked for more extensive tests done TODAY. They thought it could be either a blockage, pancreatitis or parvo-virus, not a nice choice at all. But X-rays, bloods and everything done ruled out all of this thankfully. So hopefully we are still looking at a very very serious case of diahrea (sp) caused by bacteria.

He is now back on a drip with strong antibiotics and another medicine to treat his gut and disperse the gasses he has in his colon and stomach, and pain killers. Have to see what tomorrow brings when if necessary he will have a scan.

I have cried all afternoon today, especially with the relief of hearing that it hadn't proved to be one the of worst things he could have had. Thanks everyone for your kindness.

Lizzie

Lizzie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

News about My Boy and his Bone eating Problem Empty Re: News about My Boy and his Bone eating Problem

Post by Guest Wed May 04 2011, 21:59

I'm so sorry about his relapse!! I hope he gets better soon! Do tell us what the results are of his new tests.

Back to top Go down

News about My Boy and his Bone eating Problem Empty Re: News about My Boy and his Bone eating Problem

Post by debbiewaterhouse Wed May 04 2011, 22:02

Poor you, you're really going through it arn't you, i'm sure he'll be ok, the vets are doing all they can, hope you get better news tomorrow, hugs n licks sent your way from me n Hollie >Big Grin< Tongues
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Hollie & Dotts
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 & 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Females
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04 2011, 22:19

hope he is all better tomorrow love and hugs xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04 2011, 22:24

Poor you, I really do know what you're going through. I don't want to question vets, but do you know if they've checked for Giardia?

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/giardia.html

A lot of vets don't look for this, but it's what brought Dempsey down so low, and he also had to have several days in the vet hospital.

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Wed May 04 2011, 22:28

Fingers xd for better news tomorrow Lizzie & Harvey... Inca sends the both of you big hugs XX
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Inca & Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old ...
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females..
Support total : 84

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Wed May 04 2011, 22:30

Oops Sorry !! Harry not Harvey !!...xx
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Inca & Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old ...
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females..
Support total : 84

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Wed May 04 2011, 22:33

Thanks for the suggestion Caryll. They are collecting stool samples over the 3 days he has been in. His temperature is normal and white cells are not elevated. But I did tell them that he had drunk from a trough whilst out walking the fields. I believe that one of the drugs they have started treating him with is metronadazole, so maybe they have this in mind.

Would you mind telling me about Dempseys experience please?

Im worried now about the gasses in his colon and stomach shown on the x-rays, can this lead to a twisted gut?

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Wed May 04 2011, 22:46

Oh my he sounds like he's having a rough time poor fellow and I'm not suprised you're feeling the way you are. But looking positively as you say at least it's not pancreatitis or parvo. I know from work that Metranidazole is a commonly used a.b. for gynae and general ops. so pelvic, abdo. and gut, fingers crossed they'll be doing the trick as we speak Wink
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
News about My Boy and his Bone eating Problem Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04 2011, 22:51

With Dempsey it was extremely sudden. He ate his dinner at about 5pm as usual, and was fine. At about 7pm he brought the whole lot up, but we didn't think too much of it - just one of those things. He then rapidly developed the runs, to a point where it was literally projectile diareah. He started to get very depressed, and then I noticed that he was losing blood from his rear end - not just a little bit, but a steady drip!

By 11pm he was almost in a state of collapse. We rushed him to the emergency vet (who I have to say were absolutely brilliant!) and they took him in immediately, straight on a drip.

As it was Saturday night (well, Sunday morning by then), they kept him there till monday morning when they transferred him to our vets, who also put him on a drip & began a battery of tests.

For 3 days he couldn't eat or drink, it would all just go straight through him. Once they realised it could be Giardia they treated him for it, and he began to pick up a bit. By day 5 he could eat a small amount of prescription dog food & keep it down. By day 6 he started to get depressed so they let us take him home.

He picked up quite well from there, but he was poorly for days afterwards & it took about a fortnight to get his exercise levels back to near normal.

The good thing was that he made a complete recovery, and suffered no lasting ill effects.

I'm not saying that it is the same for you, but it just sounds a similar pattern.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharleen&Tank Wed May 04 2011, 22:56

So sorry to hear that, hope he is better soon Sad Lots of love from Tank and I x
Sharleen&Tank
Sharleen&Tank
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tank
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05 2011, 08:32

big hugs to you and hope evrthing goes well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05 2011, 08:46

will be thinking of you and your precious boy XX

Back to top Go down

Post by barneynlynn Thu May 05 2011, 14:41

So sorry to hear about your dog.. Hope he recovers soon. >Big Grin<
barneynlynn
barneynlynn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Barney
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Thu May 05 2011, 21:27

Aww i hope he gets better soon
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu May 05 2011, 21:33

Send get well wishes to him sorry hes not well Sad
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down