janey
Steve
Kathy
Jasminesmum
Neil.
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Injections or Not ? - Page 2 Empty Injections or Not ?

Post by Neil. Wed Nov 06 2013, 10:35

First topic message reminder :

This might be a bit of a controversial topic but what is peoples views on here about the arguement for not giving dogs the immunisation injections , i have read various papers on the subject and to be honest both sides seem to give reasoned views , is it dangerous to have them done ? Is it just the boosters which are the cause for concern ? To be honest i will probably have them done as i think the pros outweigh the cons.
Neil.
Neil.
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Roxi
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Injections or Not ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Injections or Not ?

Post by Sara n Ozzy Tue Nov 12 2013, 20:32

I gave just had Oz at the vet for his boosters but I never thought to ask about every 3 years. Oz occasionally goes to a dog hotel if we go away so I don't thinking have a choice but to get them done annually as the hotel wouldn't take him otherwise
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 12 2013, 21:12

Nuala wrote:Thistle had an allergic reaction to her first jabs, very scary, I have always had my dogs vaccinated as puppies but never bothered with the boosters at all, never had a problem, I had a collie that had never been vaccinated he came into contact with a puppy that had distemper, the collie displayed mild symptoms but recovered, they have to be up to date with their vacs if you are going to kennel them. Thistle has had one thing after another since her vaccinations......coincidence? she has demodex at the moment which can be as a result of a weak or suppressed immune system.
As already said, some dogs do get allergic reactions to the vaccines. Nobody disputes that. But it is quite rare, and for the most part all a pup will feel is a little under the weather for a day or two.

As for the Demodex, many young dogs get problems with it, whether they've had vaccinations or not, because their immune system is not at full strength for some months.

Sara n Ozzy wrote:I gave just had Oz at the vet for his boosters but I never thought to ask about every 3 years. Oz occasionally goes to a dog hotel if we go away so I don't thinking have a choice but to get them done annually as the hotel wouldn't take him otherwise
Telephone the dog hotel and ask if they are up to date with the latest guidelines.Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Tue Nov 12 2013, 21:32

I will do defo thanks Caryll
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by kandydragons Thu Nov 14 2013, 12:22

I've Given Roman his puppy jabs (well second one is due on monday) and I will give him his first booster then I will see after that.
I don't vax my cats (although my 2 were 10 months old when I got them and alreadyhad the kitten ones). I used to run a cat rescue shelter and I saw and knew of so many kittens dying after vax Sad

kandydragons
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Roman
Dog(s) Ages : 31st August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by AliceStarFox21 Sat Nov 23 2013, 23:15

I haven't had Harley jabbed and he's almost 11 months, I personally believe that animals can get on fine without them..after all, thousands of years without us humans and our drugs! Also never had my two cats jabbed, never had a problem.

AliceStarFox21
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog(s) Ages : birthday 28/01/13
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23 2013, 23:27

AliceStarFox21 wrote:I haven't had Harley jabbed and he's almost 11 months, I personally believe that animals can get on fine without them..after all, thousands of years without us humans and our drugs! Also never had my two cats jabbed, never had a problem.
Yes, and probably thousands of years of dogs dieing needlessly because of distemper. Up until about 60 years or so ago disremper killed thousands of dogs in this country per year. Now, because of vaccinations there are only about 50 or so a year, and those deaths are in unvaccinated dogs.

Yes, we over vaccinate, but that doesn't mean that they are totally unnecessary, just that they should be given with care and at greater intervals than before.

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sun Nov 24 2013, 02:31

ella wrote:
Neil. wrote:Hi Ella ,
I would be interested to hear your reasons not to vax.
because i do not believe in vax for people or dogs. I am all for allowing them to build upon the natural immunity that comes from the pups mum, and the side effects that could happen especially auto immune disease and cancer at the point of injection are just not worth it. Also i will not inject my dogs with very harmful chemicals like formaldehyde which is in vax
I also have this opinion on vaccinations for humans and dogs. While I think the first shots are necessary for dogs while they are pups but we've never given the boosters as I think there are too many risks associated. The only time we've given extra shots were when they were absolutely required for international travel when we moved countries and which there was absolutely no way to avoid.

I think depending on circumstances and if the dog is at an extremely high risk of a particular disease, it may be necessary to protect against those but in general, I think it causes more problems.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2