Injections

5 posters

Go down

Injections Empty Injections

Post by MrsS Fri Sep 23 2011, 17:41

At what age should puppies be having their injections? Are they only allowed out for walks once they have had them both?

Probably a daft question, but i'm just a newbie Smile
MrsS
MrsS
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chloe
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Injections Empty Re: Injections

Post by Steve Fri Sep 23 2011, 17:51

the first at 8 week old the othr at 10 week old i think you you have to wait another 2 weeks before they can go out.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 19:21

Steves correct if I remember, they are not allowed out till they have has their injections
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by billy and kya Fri Sep 23 2011, 19:23

they can go out a week after the seconed jab
billy and kya
billy and kya
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : billy and kya
Dog Gender(s) : billy male kya female
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsS Fri Sep 23 2011, 20:56

Thats great thank you - I'm also curious as my neighbour said he carried their pup around in a blanket until it'd had all its injections and I thought it was very risky :O
MrsS
MrsS

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Sep 23 2011, 20:58

When i used to go around my sister i just carry them around.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsS Fri Sep 23 2011, 20:59

Steve wrote:When i used to go around my sister i just carry them around.

Ah, so it's fine to do that then - as long as you don't put them down at all Smile
MrsS
MrsS

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Sep 23 2011, 21:02

you dont want to keep them out for long

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 21:05

It's good to subject your pup to all sorts of sights & sounds (as long as he feels safe!) as early as possible. Before Dempsey was allowed out officially I used to carry him around the block & let people look at him, but I didn't encourage them to touch him. Just quick walks here & there to get him used to the big wide world!

The 1st vaccinations should be given about a week after you get your pup (giving him a week to settle a bit before the vet jabs him!). The 2nd are normally about 2 weeks later &, depending on the vet, you can take them out properly a week after the 2nd jabs. Then you'll need an annual booster the same time the following year, but after that it's only necessary to vaccinate every 3rd year (ie you'll let him have a booster at 12/14 months old, then again at 4 years old, 7 years old & 10 years old. This is because the effective life of all the vaccines given in this country is now at least 3 years.

The only time this should vary is if your vet feels that the area you live in, or are visiting, has a higher than average incidence of any of the diseases that you vaccinate against - then he will recommend when to vaccinate.

This is the wsava vaccine recommendations...

http://www.wsava.org/PDF/Misc/VaccinationGuidelines2010.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 24 2011, 01:56

Vlad has just had his 12 week injection. The vet advised us it can take 2 weeks for the vaccination to take effect so still have to wait for a walk Sad He has another one at 16 weeks. He was very friendly towards everyone... licked them all, but there were three other dogs in the waiting area of the vet and he was terrified! The other dogs were lovely. They just ignored him. He settled eventually.

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Sat Sep 24 2011, 03:11

Paddy is 8 weeks old this weekend and we're hoping to get him in with the vet for his first jab next week. He currently goes out on the back garden only which we were told is fine. It'll probably be easier to get him used to the lead too Smile
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Injections Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paddy
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 24 2011, 04:41

over here in Australia we have to have 3 lots of needles when they are puppies, and then just their yearly ones every year after that.

The vet encouraged me to carry Winston around after his second lot of needles so he could get used to allsorts of different sights and sounds. But definitely NOT to put him down anywhere where other dogs might be. It is just not worth the risk. I mean he even went on the RSPCA Milllion Paws Walk with us and Jethro! Mind you we had to take turns carrying him, even then he weighed a ton!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsS Mon Sep 26 2011, 19:52

I've now booked Chloe in for her jabs on Thursday :O

I'm dreading it as the last time I saw a needle. my lovely Zoe (boxer) was being put to sleep Sad
MrsS
MrsS

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26 2011, 20:02

we used to carry lemmy every where till he was allowed out on the floor. he used to pop out from under my coat for alook round. when he went to the vets he was carried there wrapped in ablanket because it was during the really cold in february

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26 2011, 20:05

she wont even feel it you will wonder why you were so worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26 2011, 21:52

vanessa wrote: and then just their yearly ones every year after that.

Vanessa, next time the boosters are due, print this off & show it to your vet - ask him what he thinks of the advice in it.

It's generally accepted that we over vaccinate dogs nowadays. Years ago the effective life of the vaccinations was only about 18 months, so they vaccinated yearly. Now, all the manufacturers produce vaccines with an effective life of at least 3 years, so the need to vaccinate yearly is no longer valid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27 2011, 08:50

Caryll wrote:
vanessa wrote: and then just their yearly ones every year after that.

Vanessa, next time the boosters are due, print this off & show it to your vet - ask him what he thinks of the advice in it.

It's generally accepted that we over vaccinate dogs nowadays. Years ago the effective life of the vaccinations was only about 18 months, so they vaccinated yearly. Now, all the manufacturers produce vaccines with an effective life of at least 3 years, so the need to vaccinate yearly is no longer valid.

I will..thanks for that.. as a matter of fact Jethro is actually going to the vets tomorrow for his booster needles..and check up ( and I would say to get his anal glands done! sick ) We are taking Winston with us so Richard can see the size of him now.. last time he saw him he was having his last lot of puppy needles..think he will get a surprise when he sees the size of him.!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27 2011, 10:34

i actilly brought the issue up with my vets about the jabs yesterday as i have vacs 4 life and it didnt seem as good value if you only needed them every 3 years my vets give full spectrum vacs in puppy course and the same in year 1 then yearly they get a virus spasific every year after that ie one year parvo next year dog bordeler(sp)lol and so on .
hope this helps
(i was acctully at the vets booking my friends new american bull dog pup in for his jabs he gorge and has made me doggy broody again lol)
some may remember my topic about tyson my friends american bull that had died
and this is his great great great about 7/8 great grandson .
will try gettin some pics to post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27 2011, 12:24

bigwazza wrote:i actilly brought the issue up with my vets about the jabs yesterday as i have vacs 4 life and it didnt seem as good value if you only needed them every 3 years my vets give full spectrum vacs in puppy course and the same in year 1 then yearly they get a virus spasific every year after that ie one year parvo next year dog bordeler(sp)lol and so on .
hope this helps

The thing is, a lot of these vaccinations just aren't necessary unless there's a particular problem in your area, ie if there's a known risk of Leptospirosis in your local pond (passed through rats' urine sick ) or an outbreak of Distemper (rare nowadays) or Parvo. I'm firmly of the opinion that if you don't need to pump chemicals into your dog, then you shouldn't. The puppy vaccines, followed by the 1st year's booster are the all-important ones, and yes, one of those is for parvo! But you see, that parvo vaccine lasts for 3 years, so why re-vaccinate until you need to?

I'm afraid there are some vets who still think more about making money, than they do about the animal concerned. I'm not saying that your vet is like that, just that some are still giving the full boosters every year when it's totally unnecessary, and sometimes harmful (ie when there are bad reactions to them).

Last edited by Caryll on Tue Sep 27 2011, 12:48; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27 2011, 12:40

I'm not sure what happens everywhere else and I am DEFINITELY not an expert Tongues but in Australia we have the puppies vaccinated at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. After the 12 week injection you need to wait until 2 weeks after the needle for the vaccine to take effect. Vlad just had his 12 week injection and we are counting down the days until we're able to walk him! I would just take your puppy into the vet and have a chat about all of your options. Just through doing some research there are some kennels (if you ever need to leave your dog in one) and some training classes that you need to have your dog vaccinated for before they will accept you. I am sure your vet will be able to give you all of your options Big Grin Good Luck! P.S I was dreading Vlad's injection too, and as soon as I saw the needle I turned away (my husband had a hold of him)and he didn't even flinch!

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Wed Sep 28 2011, 03:10

MrsS wrote:I've now booked Chloe in for her jabs on Thursday :O

I'm dreading it as the last time I saw a needle. my lovely Zoe (boxer) was being put to sleep Sad

How strange! Paddy is in on Thursday too! Booked it today

So sorry to hear you'll have such sad memories. Could someone go with you?
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Injections Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 14:28

hey Caryll.. being a forgetful sort of person I forgot to print out that info you put above on my other computer before I went to see Richard. Anyway when he looked at Jethro's vaccination card he said that Jethro only needed his kennel cough needle this year..and then he went on to tell me all about over vaccinating! So it is good to know my vet isn't just after the almighty $$$$$$$$$$$ Thanks X Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28 2011, 23:02

It's nice when your vet proves to you that he's in it for the animals, rather than just the money! thumbs up

I think most vets are coming round to this now, and are using the yearly visits to do a little health check on the dogs rather than vaccinating. I've no objection to that, after all they usually only see them when they're ill!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29 2011, 07:38

Only problem is I asked him to check Jethro's anal glands and then after he had checked Jethro over and gave him his needle, the conversation got on to Winston as we took him in with us . Well we were driving home and I suddenly said to Tony "Oh no... Richard forgot all about doing Jethro's anal glands!! " .. maybe he forgot on purpose!! Laughing sick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29 2011, 10:01

haha crafty vet .
you cant blame him tho lol

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsS Thu Sep 29 2011, 10:55

KerryAnn wrote:

Ok, so I was a very brave mummy Big Grin and went on my own. Chloe was a little star and didn't even realise she was having the needle. I'm so proud - of chloe that is! Wink

Hope Paddy gets on as well Smile
MrsS
MrsS

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29 2011, 10:59

Bandit never worried about having injections, he just used to stand there & grin at the vet!

Dempsey is a wimp. The slightest little pin * & he yelps!

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsS Thu Sep 29 2011, 12:51

I'm hoping I have a Bandit on my hands Smile
MrsS
MrsS

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29 2011, 16:31

MrsS wrote:
KerryAnn wrote:

Ok, so I was a very brave mummy Big Grin and went on my own. Chloe was a little star and didn't even realise she was having the needle. I'm so proud - of chloe that is! Wink

good girl Chloe !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Busta-boy Fri Sep 30 2011, 01:58

Ad Busta jagged at 9Wk and 2nd 1 at 12Wk ,will need to take him back in yr Fa booster, the only thing i found wi 2nd Jag was that Busta got a big lump where he'd ad Jag tuck about awk to show & is just started to go,just out Ov curiosity as any1 Eles experienced this !
Busta-boy
Busta-boy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kira & Busta
Dog Gender(s) : female. Male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Fri Sep 30 2011, 03:15

MrsS wrote:
KerryAnn wrote:

Thankyou. Yep, went great. He got a good vet checkover too Love Struck
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Injections Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 30 2011, 10:22

Busta-boy wrote:Ad Busta jagged at 9Wk and 2nd 1 at 12Wk ,will need to take him back in yr Fa booster, the only thing i found wi 2nd Jag was that Busta got a big lump where he'd ad Jag tuck about awk to show & is just started to go,just out Ov curiosity as any1 Eles experienced this !

You do sometimes get a reaction to the 2nd jab. I think it's cause the body's developing an immune reaction & the 2nd jab sets it into overdrive! It should go fairly quickly, but if it causes any distress or hangs around for more than a few days have a quick word with the vet. Very often half a piriton will help.

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Sat Oct 01 2011, 01:15

Paddy's been pretty poorly (sick) tonight. The vet said it may happen but Sad
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Injections Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01 2011, 09:45

KerryAnn wrote:Paddy's been pretty poorly (sick) tonight. The vet said it may happen but Sad

poor little Paddy... hope all is well today....

give the little darling a cuddle for me... Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsS Sat Oct 01 2011, 10:45

KerryAnn wrote:Paddy's been pretty poorly (sick) tonight. The vet said it may happen but Sad

Oh No . . Sad . . Hope Paddy is better soon x
MrsS
MrsS

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Sun Oct 02 2011, 02:22

vanessa wrote:

poor little Paddy... hope all is well today....

give the little darling a cuddle for me... Love Struck

MrsS wrote:

Oh No . . Sad . . Hope Paddy is better soon x

Thankyou. Much better now Smile xx
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
Injections Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down