feeding

3 posters

Go down

feeding Empty feeding

Post by janfrost489 Sun Oct 27 2013, 18:07

Hi everyone

Over the last week we have switched sasha from 3 meals a day on to 2 meals. The only problem is that for the past 4-5 days she has been constantly farting and I mean constantly my living room really smells its embarrassing when we have visitors we have to excuse the smell as the smell lingers we give her prebiotic natural yoghurt in the morning and wainwrites dry food which really aids her coat condition etc the only difference is that she is on lamb and rice and not turkey and rice. A friend said maybe its where we've switched her feed routine. Can this really be the reason ????
janfrost489
janfrost489
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 06/05/2013
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

feeding Empty Re: feeding

Post by Guest Sun Oct 27 2013, 18:24

No I wouldn't say it could be to change the meals from 3 to 2 makes no sense. Did you swap over the flavour gradually ?? I was advised by PAH staff when changing flavours you don't need to but not sure myself as it has always been a gradual change for us but over a few days not the recommended 2 weeks if changing foods altogether

My 2 do have stinky bum syndrome though and are on Lamb and Rice , but nothing as bad as when they get a bit of left over Sunday dinner sick sick 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 27 2013, 18:35

you can try charcoal biscuits to help the tum and lots of incense candles lol

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sun Oct 27 2013, 18:37

Hi Dave they said it could be because the meals are bigger so stay in her tummy for longer not a breeder but have owned staffies for many years. The only reason why I had to get her lamb and rice was because pah had run out of turkey and rice and pah are the only shop locally that sells wainwrites the lady in pah that served me said it didn't really make a difference as I wasnt switching brands. It doesn't seem to bother sasha she looks at us as if to say you smelly oiuks have tried giving her charcoal biscuits but no deal lol
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 27 2013, 18:59

Well if the 3 down to 2 meals makes a difference I have been around here on the forum a while and never heard that before but always something to learn Smile
Some of the PAH do a limited range of flavours , you do realise that this is PAH own brand so thats why you can't buy it anywhere else ??

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sun Oct 27 2013, 19:04

My 2 have gone right off Wainwrights - I always only used it as a mixer but now I'm giving them brown rice or pasta as a mixer instead. Anyone know if that's okay? They get the rice or pasta with beef mince 2 nights, liver 2 nights, chicken 2 nights, and sardines 1 night.
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Sun Oct 27 2013, 19:05

I thought it was a bit of a bizarre idea myself when they said it and told them so lol thats why I decided to ask on the forum as ive always been given excellent advice before. Sasha is 26 weeks old which is a little over 6 months do you think that she is old enough to be taken down to 2 meals per day ??? No I didn't realise that it was a pah brand that kinda explains why the staff suggested it when we first got sasha and transferred her from the food she was on in the first place x
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crutchlow79 Sun Oct 27 2013, 20:12

I feed nel on chicken and rice she loves it I am looking to cut out the dry food she has in the mornings and lunch times and switch to fresh meat daily just gotta weigh up the price vs my budget (selfish I know but she eats better than me already)

Crutchlow79
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : nel
Dog(s) Ages : 1 yr
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 27 2013, 23:53

janfrost489 wrote:Hi Dave they said it could be because the meals are bigger so stay in her tummy for longer not a breeder but have owned staffies for many years. The only reason why I had to get her lamb and rice was because pah had run out of turkey and rice and pah are the only shop locally that sells wainwrites the lady in pah that served me said it didn't really make a difference as I wasnt switching brands. It doesn't seem to bother sasha she looks at us as if to say you smelly oiuks have tried giving her charcoal biscuits but no deal lol
The meals stay in the stomach the same length of time. If you overfeed then the dog may not be able to digest the food properly & they might get the runs, but it'll still go through the same time, or maybe a little quicker!

If you change flavours, you're actually changing the protein source, so some dogs do need the changeover to be over a period.

Crutchlow79 wrote:I feed nel on chicken and rice she loves it I am looking to cut out the dry food she has in the mornings and lunch times and switch to fresh meat daily just gotta weigh up the price vs my budget (selfish I know but she eats better than me already)
If you're going to be giving your dog a home cooked diet, then take care. It's a lot more complicated than it sounds!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down