Worried about Diablo

4 posters

Go down

Sad Worried about Diablo

Post by mary94 Thu Sep 19 2013, 06:35

My partner and i have moved house and since we moved about 3 weeks ago Diablo hasn't had his usual appetite. He doesn't want to eat,i feed him Canidae kibble with abit of natures gift canned food. He has his usual amount of exercise and we have recently found a off leash dog park close to our area which we take him to in the evenings so he can socialize and play with the other dogs. In our old house we had two other dogs there with us (dachshunds)

He won't eat anything unless i feed it to him by hand.. if i don't feed it to him he'll lick it abit and have a bite or two and than leave it - even after he's been out for 2 hours playing and runnning around non stop! Sad i would have thought he'd work up an appetite but no.. im getting real worried.. worried 

I let him go out in the morning at about 6-7am for his wee and he never really has an appetite in the morning so i'll give him a little canned food and hand feed it to him.. and than his usual big meal is at 5-6pm after his walk. He does chew bones during the day and he has a few treats during training.

He has just recently turned 6 months and he's not desexed. I'm just wondering what has caused this. Some days he'll be really energetic and happy and other days he'll be really lethargic and just laying around all day.
It is the summer i guess now in Townsville this is my first summer and i dont know how hot it gets but at the moment it is boiling! mauyb its the weather? i really don't know.. but he has lost a lot of weight in just the past week!! Sad

Please help. Thanks!
mary94
mary94
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Diablo
Dog(s) Ages : 10/3/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Worried about Diablo

Post by mary94 Thu Sep 19 2013, 06:59

Oh and he has had all his shots! his next ones are next year... and he is recovering from an ear infection.. Sad
mary94
mary94

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19 2013, 07:12

The ear infection could be putting him off a bit. Have you tried going a day or two without bones and treats to allow his appetite to build up a bit? I'm not familiar with the food you feed but I'm sure someone will be along soon who is.

I must say, my Roxy also goes off her food in the heat and prefers to eat more at her dinner time. However I feed raw so they get it semi frozen to cool them off.

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Thu Sep 19 2013, 08:10

could be the weather if its that hot,the change of house might of upset him a bit too,they are sensitive little things,if it carrys on i would give the vet a call Smile 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19 2013, 08:12

Could be a combination of the heat, new environment and the ear infection. I don't feed dried so not much help there.
You could try some sardines on top or fresh raw egg to try and coax him a bit. Hope he is back to normal soon Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19 2013, 08:28

Aww poor Diablo, I hope he's feeling we'll again soon I agree it's probably a culmination of new home, heat & ear infection that's throwing him off, you could ring your vet and ask for some advice and if your really concerned take him in, best to be safe. Smile let us know how you get on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Thu Sep 19 2013, 11:42

As said above it could be a combination of all of those things at once, as well as leaving the other dogs, he may just be adjusting to the new environment. The weather has started heating up here also, and Rocky has stopped eating his morning meal and is now only eating his one meal at night.

I would keep an eye on him and maybe give the vet a call for advice Smile
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Sep 19 2013, 17:33

It does sound like it could be a combination of a few things, hopefully he'll settle back to normal soon xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by mary94 Fri Sep 20 2013, 06:17

He has been doing well so far and eating atleast 1 meal a day and yes i do honestly think that the heat may have something to do with how he is feeling as it is starting to get so hot here! :-< 

Something i have noticed about Diablo is that he is crying more..
if im watching a movie or laying on the bed he'll come and join me for a cuddle and than he'll go off on his own and cry a little than ill call him up and he'll come for a cuddle.. Sad

His ear infection seems to be heaps better as he isnt scratching anymore! RESULT! thumbs up thumbs up 

we went to the dog park last night and there was no-one there.. so we played for about 30 mins and another staffy called Tiger (age 7) came into the park and the owner suggested Tiger and Diablo meet thru the fence first as Tiger can be aggressive towards other dogs... they met through the fence and they were fine.. i let Diablo off the lead again and her dog started snarling at Diablo and the woman told her dog off and than he did it again but alot rougher that was when i took Diablo home..

The night before he was fine at the dog park.. there was another dog a roman nosed bull terrier (age 3) and he actually got quite aggressive with Diablo too so i ended up having to take him home..

I dont understand why most of the bull breeds are being so aggressive towards each other and not the other breeds. is it because of the reason they were bred? for fighting against their breed? or.. sorry i dont mean to sound stupid im just curious because all other breeds seem to be fine with Diablo..

Thanks everyone! Big Grin
mary94
mary94

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20 2013, 10:17

I think the biggest problem with bull breeds is that they can sense that the other dog isn't a pushover! Then they make eye contact & that's a definite no-no with a bully!

Glad Diablo seems to be eating a bit better. If it should happen again, you could try splitting his meals into 3 or 4 for a while until he recovers his appetite. The heat often seems to get them a bit.Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down