help n advice about roxy goin for bigger dogs

3 posters

Go down

help n advice about roxy goin for bigger dogs Empty help n advice about roxy goin for bigger dogs

Post by lauralou22 Tue Aug 27 2013, 18:22

roxy is a fun loving dog to people and some dogs but some dogs she growls and goes for them exspecially bigger dogs lik huskys smaller ones she is ok with is ther anything we can go to help stop her goin for other dogs we tried sittin her while the dog walks by she has none of it and tried a click n treat she takes no notice as she is fixed on the bigger dogs any help and advice plzzz
lauralou22
lauralou22
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : roxy
Dog(s) Ages : just over 1 year old
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

help n advice about roxy goin for bigger dogs Empty Re: help n advice about roxy goin for bigger dogs

Post by Guest Tue Aug 27 2013, 20:49

Have you tried distracting her with a favourite toy?

Back to top Go down

help n advice about roxy goin for bigger dogs Empty Re: help n advice about roxy goin for bigger dogs

Post by Sazzle Wed Aug 28 2013, 21:10

Yes I would try distraction, teaching a watch me command can be very useful.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Aug 28 2013, 23:07

Zeus is similar, he's good with people and totally ignores smaller dogs and pretty much lets them do whatever they want (aslong as they don't bite, which has happened before). But when he sees a bigger dog, he always runs up and wants to play/show them whose boss etc. I let it carry on if its friendly play but the minute Zeus starts overstepping the boundary, I tell him off (a firm "NO") and put him back on lead and take him away from the other dog.

I also try to distract him which is hard at times as he doesn't want to know anyone if there's another dog around but I always carry something with me that he doesn't get until towards the end of his walk or get at all, something like a wooden stick (which isn't safe to give anyway) but it keeps his attention on me as he really wants it and is good at distraction. It works at times, and sometimes doesn't.

Overall, he's got a little better but practice makes perfect!
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down