Advice Please

2 posters

Go down

Advice Please Empty Advice Please

Post by julespercules Mon Jul 15 2013, 20:51

Hi all,

My little dog got attacked on Saturday with a dog who allegedly just wants to play. My husband has taken her out yesterday as I was ill.

Had a lovely walk this morning, didn't meet any dogs, tash as good as gold.

Took her to the local park, playing ball when all of a sudden 2 cocker spaniels and a little Labrador puppy came out of nowhere. Tash was off the lead playing ball, they came over tash greeted the two cockers fine then picked her ball up and growled at them, I threw the ball for her she fetched it, the Labrador puppy went over to her and tash greeted her fine then somehow sat on her face and when the dog started growling she turned round and pinned it down growling.

Very shocked and upset by this, apologised profusely. Would have put her on the lead if i'd seen them coming but when I did notice them they were nearly upon her anyway. I pulled her off, she hadn't bitten, was just being dominant.

What would you have done, my husband says I should have called her off the dog rather than pull.

Whats your ideas

Jules

julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice Please Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Advice Please Empty Re: Advice Please

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15 2013, 20:54

Yes, you could have called her off, but if she had ignored you not only would you still have to pull her off, but you'd have presented a very bad image to the other owner.

That aside, the labrador owner was partly to blame. I would never allow my dog to approach another dog that is playing with a ball/stick/toy! Many dogs that are perfectly friendly will take exception to a strange dog going near its property!

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Mon Jul 15 2013, 20:57

Thanks Caryll, she is very ball possessive so I do only tend to play when there are no other dogs about but normally she drops the ball, greets and then runs off and only gets angry if they continue to chase.

Love this forum, it always gives good advice and helps you feel that your dog is not horrible and is just doing what most dogs would do.

julespercules
julespercules
Advice Please Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16 2013, 12:49

Blue can be ball obsessed and other dogs will get on his nerves if they just keep following him while he's trying to play fetch. Like Caryll said. I won't let Blue approach any dogs either on lead or who are in the middle of an activity like training, playing fetch etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Jul 16 2013, 13:25

Daisy is really friendly and not aggressive at all but if another dog tried to pick up her toy I know 100% she would go for them. Food and toys are the only things she ever fights about (or if another dog went for her).

It is suprising how often off lead dogs do come up to us when we are playing, I make sure I pick her toy up straight away to avoid any nasties!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Thu Jul 18 2013, 21:44

thanks everyone, I do only allow Tash balls when their are no other dogs around for this reason so do tend to get annoyed when people don't listen when I tell them she is ball possessive.
julespercules
julespercules
Advice Please Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down