veg healthy gravy

3 posters

Go down

veg healthy gravy Empty veg healthy gravy

Post by Steve Sun Jun 16 2013, 11:29

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegetarian-gravy/

i didn't add the oil or the all-purpose flour i added cornflower it less sins lol

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

veg healthy gravy Empty Re: veg healthy gravy

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 12:29

I think I will stick to proper gravy.

Back to top Go down

Post by pag Sun Jun 16 2013, 13:57

Always use your veg stock for your gravy don't waste it.. some meat juices and a little plain flour or cornflour is good.. If you're not eating meat Steve how are you getting your protein... you need to be eating lots of beans and pulses and water cress and dark greens to help..Smile
pag
pag

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 14:20

I always use veg water and meat juices to make my gravy cant beat it Imo:D

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Jun 16 2013, 16:47

i realy enjoy the new gravy i think i will do it all the time now Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Jun 16 2013, 17:18

pag wrote:Always use your veg stock for your gravy don't waste it.. some meat juices and a little plain flour or cornflour is good.. If you're not eating meat Steve how are you getting your protein... you need to be eating lots of beans and pulses and water cress and dark greens to help..Smile

plain flour is like 4.5 sins

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 17:34

The protein isn't actually as important as people make out. People used to believe that vegetarians would die from protein deprivation, but protein isn't a fixed nutrient. It's a macronutrient - a group of amino acid molecules together.

It is still important, but it isn't necessary to get it from meat. There are actually loads of better sources for it, such as almonds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 20:16

I just couldn't be doing with garlic on my roast dinner, maybe over something else:D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Jun 16 2013, 20:36

mmm sounds nice, I have to admit I've never made gravy from scratch Blushing

I use veggie granules and add hendo's or wholegrain mustard, very nice Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by pag Tue Jun 18 2013, 11:25

Eleanor wrote:The protein isn't actually as important as people make out. People used to believe that vegetarians would die from protein deprivation, but protein isn't a fixed nutrient. It's a macronutrient - a group of amino acid molecules together.

It is still important, but it isn't necessary to get it from meat. There are actually loads of better sources for it, such as almonds.

I was always taught that the best source of protein was meat, it's a first class source. The other sources of protein are from dairy, veg and nuts seeds and pulses etc.. The lack of it in the diet can lead to a lack of important minerals which could impair the immune system. So it is quite important to have in your diet.
pag
pag

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 18 2013, 11:44

Some meats are good sources of protein. My point was that there are others, so it isn't necessary to get it from meat. The 'If you don't eat meat, you'll not take in enough protein' assumption is vastly overblown.

Yes, it's important to have the essential amino acids. But there are still protein-filled options which are far healthier and better for you in a diet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 18 2013, 11:50

pag wrote:
Eleanor wrote:The protein isn't actually as important as people make out. People used to believe that vegetarians would die from protein deprivation, but protein isn't a fixed nutrient. It's a macronutrient - a group of amino acid molecules together.

I was always taught that the best source of protein was meat, it's a first class source. The other sources of protein are from dairy, veg and nuts seeds and pulses etc.. The lack of it in the diet can lead to a lack of important minerals  which could impair the immune system. So it is quite important to have in your diet.

Meat isn't actually the best source of protein because it contains far too much bad (saturated) fat, especially once cooked! Even lean meat has high levels of saturated fat. The best sources of protein are from nuts/seeds and tofu/soya or Quorn. They are high in protein & low in saturated fats.

Back to top Go down

Post by pag Tue Jun 18 2013, 13:24

But the quality of the protein is better from meat, it's a first class protein, I'm aware of other ways to get protein in the diet, that was what I was stating in my first post, if he is not eating meat he should be getting it from pulses, seeds etc as it is important to have it in your diet.
pag
pag

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 18 2013, 14:41

That's not what I was saying though. Tongues I never said protein wasn't an important part of a diet. I said it isn't as important as people would make believe. Getting protein from other sources, such as Quorn, is just as beneficial for the average person.

If somebody's on a serious diet, the food needs to be looked at as a whole. Yes, some meats are good sources of protein. However, protein isn't the only factor affecting dietry control. You'd need to eat a hefty portion of meat to get the same amount of protein as, for instance, a handful of almonds. In comparison to each other, the almonds have a lot more health benefits and a lot fewer health drawbacks - for instance, the type of fat.

So yes, protein is as important in a diet as other nutrients and macronutrients. However, most of the meat people eat is actually very poor in protein - frozen, chemically-treated, grain-fed, processed, etc.

Another point that is often missed is that other foods do contain protein. Certain foods, such as nuts, seeds, etc., may contain higher levels, but that isn't to say that protein is absent from all other foods. Eggs, for instance, are one of the best sources of protein and also extremely healthy in the correct amounts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down