i want another staffie/need some advice pls

4 posters

Go down

i want another staffie/need some advice pls Empty i want another staffie/need some advice pls

Post by rainny/bruno Thu May 09 2013, 22:03

hi everyone
iv had Bruno now for 3 months and he has become a well behaved dog, and feel i'm ready to take on another, i was thinking of getting him a play mate, but not sure if i get a puppy or a rescued staffie, and if it is best to have two rescued dogs in the same house, or is it to soon to bring another dog in the house, would love some advice on this please. Smile
rainny/bruno
rainny/bruno
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

i want another staffie/need some advice pls Empty Re: i want another staffie/need some advice pls

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 22:06

no problem at all havin 2 rescues in the house but personally would advise you to leave it a little longer and get your boy settled fully

Back to top Go down

i want another staffie/need some advice pls Empty Re: i want another staffie/need some advice pls

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 22:09

Three months isn't a long time, really, but if you do decide to get another, obviously it means double the costs, the training, the walking, etc., a huge commitment, so a decision that you should take as long as possible thinking on. If you get a rescue, you'd have to make sure Bruno meets them and gets used to them first and have a trial run to see if they get along. Two rescues can of course get on well, just depends on the individual dogs. If you get a puppy, it means going through the horrible puppy stages (both you and Bruno Laughing), so it really depends on your own personal preferences. Definitely something to think long and hard about though.

Back to top Go down

Post by rainny/bruno Thu May 09 2013, 22:12

i'l wait a little longer, but i really wanted to get a rescue again, someone told me not to have two rescue's in the house, thank you for clearing that one up, i really enjoy walking him and watching him play and run with other dogs, and there is lots of staffie out there in need of a home Smile
rainny/bruno
rainny/bruno

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 22:17

It is generally speaking ood advice to maintain a 2 year age gap and opposit sex as the best chance of getting along best and of course if you do rescue you can take your boy along for that first meeting Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 23:13

Can't agree more with the advice that's been given Smile Well done you for taking on another rescue dog though! thumbs up I'd personally always say rescue over getting a puppy since I work with rescue staffs and my girls a rescue too Big Grin I was going to get another dog myself as I'd fallen for another doggie and my girl, like yours, LOVES playing with other dogs; they'd met through the kennel bars and loved each other but when he was out his kennel he was nice, but way to nervous around her so sadly I wont be getting him Sad We will work on his "issues" as such, but he wont ever go well suited with another doggy in the house it seems. Almost every rescue center will happily give you trial runs though, and will spend as much time walking them with you to get them used to each other ect too, I'd say go for it after you've waited a little longer and you're definitely ready Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 01:22

I also agree with the above Big Grin 2 rescues is great and like you said there are plenty out there in need of rescuing Sad I too would leave it a little longer for Bruno to settle in fully and then think of getting a girly Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 08:22

I would wait a while longer myself as even though he is well behaved now a change so quickly could upset him.

Fair play on working towards another though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri May 10 2013, 10:21

I would say leave it for another 12 months if you can. That will give your current dog chance to settle in well with you.

If you decide to go for a rescue again, and you shouldn't have any problems with this, ask the centre if you can take your dog in with you to meet some possible play mates, this way the rescue centre can help match you and your dog with another which is compatible.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 10:23

I would wait until you have had your current dog awhile longer and until he is at least two.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 10 2013, 10:28

Can't add anymore but defo a rescue when the times right Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sar H Fri May 10 2013, 13:58

I understand completely! Maddie is settled in well here (also a rescue) and is getting on so well with other dogs my other half wants to get her a friend. I think we should wait until we have had her a year. Then she will be totally settled (we are moving house in two weeks so it will give her 4 months to resettle after that). Two dogs is a big commitment (especially if, like us, you were a no-dog household 8 months ago!).
As for what to get - rescue. Every time. There are dozens and dozens of staffies in rescue. Many are pts every week. I'd never buy privately because of this. I know two people who have 5 dogs, all rescues, so don't think you could never have two rescues together, just choose carefully.
And take your time. Wink
Sar H
Sar H
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Maddie
Dog(s) Ages : about 9
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by rainny/bruno Wed May 15 2013, 20:51

he going to love a girlfriend, goes mad over female dogs, but is better behaved around males, if there is a female about, he forgets who i am lol, i'l wait till next year, i'm all for rescued dogs.....can't deal with the puppy stage lol Smile
rainny/bruno
rainny/bruno

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 15 2013, 21:46

Great news your waiting, then he'll be settled Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down