When is it the best time to get another dog/puppy?

4 posters

Go down

When is it the best time to get another dog/puppy? Empty When is it the best time to get another dog/puppy?

Post by Rachb26 Fri Apr 26 2013, 09:54

Hello, hope everyone is well and enjoying their day Smile

I was just hoping I could draw on peoples experience on bringing a second dog/pup into the household? Mainly just when is the right time?

Saffy is 1 next month, and we have been discussing this for the last couple of months. Obviously weighing up pros and cons. But it's always useful to get an outside opinion Smile

Also not sure if you are allowed to, but any ideas on good breeders? I have looked on the forum for info and know what we are looking for in a pup i;e health tests, kc reg, but looking around at advertising sites.....it's a bit of a minefield and for some reason the majority of puppies are blue thinking

Main preference for a pup, would be:
Health tested and so forth
Not too inbred....COI ?
Breeder involvement (i.e a breeder who would want to keep in touch )
Temperment (really important to us)
Male
Colour: any as long as the above is ok. Though would prefer not to have blue (not that I am saying anything is wrong with blue dogs, they are lovely Love Struck just personal choice Smile )
Pedigree...not looking for a dog with loads of champions and so forth.

We are also open to re-homing, though our primary choice would be through a breeder Smile

We are not in any rush but I do like to plan things in advance. So just doing some research at the mo Big Grin

Thank you
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

When is it the best time to get another dog/puppy? Empty Re: When is it the best time to get another dog/puppy?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 10:01

The general advised rule is allow an 18 month gap, however this fully depends on the dog and some may be ready a lot sooner than that. I intend to get another dog soon, although she will most def be a smaller dog or smaller staffy X. My Logan isn't ready though, he is still a bit rambunctious at times.

If you feel Saffy is ready though you will know her better than anyone.

The site "Champ Dogs" has some good dogs on there (some bad) but generally they are quite good and good breeders. Albeit, as you know, looking into the history etc needs to be done.

Good luck with it anyway Smile

Back to top Go down

When is it the best time to get another dog/puppy? Empty Re: When is it the best time to get another dog/puppy?

Post by Kathy Fri Apr 26 2013, 10:12

Ideally I would leave an 18 month age gap in between the 2 dogs. Personally I would only ever go to a rescue centre, but that's just me because Rocky came from one and I would always support them.

The most important thing is that the two dogs are going to get along so do any meet up with the new dog on neutral ground a few times first, take them to a local park together for a walk, before you introduce them at your home.

Best of luck, hope it all goes well for you.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Apr 26 2013, 10:32

MatLogan wrote:The general advised rule is allow an 18 month gap, however this fully depends on the dog and some may be ready a lot sooner than that. I intend to get another dog soon, although she will most def be a smaller dog or smaller staffy X. My Logan isn't ready though, he is still a bit rambunctious at times.

If you feel Saffy is ready though you will know her better than anyone.

The site "Champ Dogs" has some good dogs on there (some bad) but generally they are quite good and good breeders. Albeit, as you know, looking into the history etc needs to be done.

Good luck with it anyway Smile

Ahhh thanks for that! Smile

Just a quick question if I may?

You said you are considering getting a bitch, obviously Logan is a male...would you get Logan neutered?

I have a concern that bringing a male into the home obviously increases the risk of Saffy getting in pup (absolutely something we do not want!!!) yet I am loathe to get her spayed for various reasons.... but mostly that I don't want to alter her personality at all. I have always had same sex dogs who have been spayed.
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Apr 26 2013, 10:36

Kathy wrote:Ideally I would leave an 18 month age gap in between the 2 dogs. Personally I would only ever go to a rescue centre, but that's just me because Rocky came from one and I would always support them.

The most important thing is that the two dogs are going to get along so do any meet up with the new dog on neutral ground a few times first, take them to a local park together for a walk, before you introduce them at your home.

Best of luck, hope it all goes well for you.

Thanks Kathy Smile

I have been looking at rehoming centres too. The only thing is I'd like a staff /staffX and generally they wont rehome with under 10 year old kids as the dogs are 'bouncy' or 'full of energy'. thinking

So I guess its just a case of keep looking, which I will do as we aren't in any rush as I said angel
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 10:39

Rachb26 wrote:Ahhh thanks for that! Smile

You said you are considering getting a bitch, obviously Logan is a male...would you get Logan neutered?

I have a concern that bringing a male into the home obviously increases the risk of Saffy getting in pup (absolutely something we do not want!!!) yet I am loathe to get her spayed for various reasons.... but mostly that I don't want to alter her personality at all. I have always had same sex dogs who have been spayed.

I wouldn't get Logan neutered because he is happy and healthy the way he is, but since I'd pretty much def be getting a rescue dog she would be spayed first.

I would just be looking a female because it is generally easier to have opposite gender pets and if anything makes dog ownership easier...I'll do it! Laughing

That said there is no reason that you couldn't get another female if you wanted. I would personally feel uncomfortable having both genders unspayed/unneutered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Apr 26 2013, 10:45

MatLogan wrote:
Rachb26 wrote:Ahhh thanks for that! Smile

I wouldn't get Logan neutered because he is happy and healthy the way he is, but since I'd pretty much def be getting a rescue dog she would be spayed first.

I would just be looking a female because it is generally easier to have opposite gender pets and if anything makes dog ownership easier...I'll do it! Laughing

That said there is no reason that you couldn't get another female if you wanted. I would personally feel uncomfortable having both genders unspayed/unneutered.

Yeah thats the way I feel...a bit uncomfortable with having two un-neutured dogs in the same household....but I have had two of the same sex too and they used to fight although they were yorkies and didn't cause much damage to be fair. certainly something I am really going to have to think over....

Thanks Smile
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 10:47

I had two females before Logan and they were great...90% of the time. But then occassionally they would full on scrap. I think this is possible with any gender though.

The only thing that matters is how you handle it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Apr 26 2013, 11:00

Mine were ok probably 90% after I got them spayed but the other times.... I dont want to s

Yes, I agree. With any sex dogs I don't think it's advisable to leave them alone together. But I think I'd have to spay one if not both. Saffy can still be quite domineering with other dogs at times so I guess it would be dependent on the other dogs temperament. Something to have a good think about and research most definitely Big Grin
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 11:01

General rule is to leave a two year age gap so they're more likely to get along, but every dog is different. Personally, I'd leave it until she's a bit older for the simple fact that she isn't mentally mature yet, so she still might change a little bit. I'd love another dog but Loki still requires so much effort and training Rolling Eyes but if Saffy's given you no worries, I'd reckon you wouldn't have to wait too long. Sounds like you know what you're looking for too, and as Mat says, ChampDogs is a good website. If you're unsure about a breeder/litter, you could always post the link here and those with more experience can give you their opinion Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Apr 26 2013, 11:13

Tara wrote:General rule is to leave a two year age gap so they're more likely to get along, but every dog is different. Personally, I'd leave it until she's a bit older for the simple fact that she isn't mentally mature yet, so she still might change a little bit. I'd love another dog but Loki still requires so much effort and training Rolling Eyes but if Saffy's given you no worries, I'd reckon you wouldn't have to wait too long. Sounds like you know what you're looking for too, and as Mat says, ChampDogs is a good website. If you're unsure about a breeder/litter, you could always post the link here and those with more experience can give you their opinion Smile

Thanks Tara Big Grin

Yeah deffo waiting till she's older! I am just doing some research at the mo. And I would want to wait till she's in between seasons or it will be too stressful for her. She should come on within the next 3 months (she had her last at xmas), then I will give her another good 3-4 months to settle again. Or maybe not till her season after this one. So maybe a year! It just depends on her at the time Smile

In the meantime, I really would like to find a good breeder that maybe I could log my interest to or get put on a waiting list....though I'm finding it difficult as when I look through their parentage, I see things like 'close line breeding' if that's what it's called (?) and I don't know how to tell if it's too much or ok....if that makes sense confused
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 11:28

Yeah, that's why I said about posting any possible links here, because there's a site (not sure what it's called) where you can find out the COI, so a few people here would be able to do that for you and let you know what the COI is and if it's good or bad Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 11:32

Tara wrote:Yeah, that's why I said about posting any possible links here, because there's a site (not sure what it's called) where you can find out the COI, so a few people here would be able to do that for you and let you know what the COI is and if it's good or bad Smile

This it it Tara just incase you ever need to use it Smile

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/inbreed/Default.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 11:42

Oh cool, thanks Mat, wasn't sure Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri Apr 26 2013, 13:30

My girl was about 13mths when we got Tank our boy.

They get on great. But u need to put a lot of effort into training.

If u feel ready - and your dog seems ready - go for it !
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Apr 26 2013, 13:52

Jackieb wrote:My girl was about 13mths when we got Tank our boy.

They get on great. But u need to put a lot of effort into training.

If u feel ready - and your dog seems ready - go for it !

Thanks Smile I was thinking that, as Saffy would still be a baby herself....so still needs training of some sort everyday.

How did you get on with them play fighting? I have visions of Saffy being a bit rough with the pupster I dont want to s
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri Apr 26 2013, 14:00

My girl was very gentle with him and mothered him when he was small. He would be playing hanging off her ears/face. She rarely 'told him off'
She would be covered in scratchs and lil pin like bites - puppy bites.

At the end of the day they'd snuggle up n sleep.

It would have been a nightmare if it wasn't for my girls sweet nature abd being well behaved.

X
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Apr 26 2013, 14:23

Jackieb wrote:My girl was very gentle with him and mothered him when he was small. He would be playing hanging off her ears/face. She rarely 'told him off'
She would be covered in scratchs and lil pin like bites - puppy bites.

At the end of the day they'd snuggle up n sleep.

It would have been a nightmare if it wasn't for my girls sweet nature abd being well behaved.

X

Awww they look like best pals in your avatar pic Love Struck

Yeah Saffy is quite laid back now, and has been for a good couple of months. She goes a bit scatty occasionally over people as she ADORES people making a fuss of her, though she rarely jumps up anymore. With other dogs, she can take them or leave them. She has a friendly sniff, sometimes a play but is only interested in chasing her toys when out and about. Which is good in a way. When play fighting with other dogs, she doesn't use her teeth...she just pretends to...its mostly just kiss chase and rolling around (noisily) Laughing

Thanks Smile It's good to hear your experience has been a positive one!
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Sat Apr 27 2013, 09:04

What is your opinion of these? thinking

http://www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/28255
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 11:21

Rachb26 wrote:What is your opinion of these? thinking

I'm sure someone will be along soon with advice Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 11:24

Thought you were planning to wait a bit Smile . Just picked up on this and obviously got a little experience so here's my 2 penneth.
People say 18 months minimum and that is about right but I would leave a little longer if I could do it again , maybe another 6 months if you can hang out that long.
Regarding neutering Tilly was done at around 18 months so no problems there for us. If you have 2 entire opposite sex dogs in the house you are really going to have your work cut out keeping them separate for avoiding any accidents and also other people have stated if you have an unneutered female and a neutered male this can still send the male crazy when the girl is in season.
Other members do have 2 same sex dogs and it works for them so its not a golden rule just a good guideline on generally the best way to keep problems to a minimum.
If you are a little impatient and can't wait , why not go around the rescues and have a look at a neutered boy about 4 + so very mature , sure he would appreciate a loving home too Smile , Saffy can meet him and you can get good advice from the kennel staff on how they assess the dog.

Not wanting to be too personal but are the finances side of things ok for you , 2 x food , 2 x vet bills, 2 x Insurance, 2 a toys, 2 x treats ..........................................
Time is an important factor as well , if you are in a situation where you have to walk them separately can you still give them equal amounts of exercise ie if you have a pup who can only walk a little , or Saffy is in season (you need both eyes on her)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 11:25

Both health tested which is important but Daddy is 15% inbred and Mummy is 19%. Both too high IMO. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 11:31

Darcy-may wrote:

I'm sure someone will be along soon with advice Big Grin

These are no doubt 2 lovely looking dogs and health tests appear to be in place so that's pretty good , however the predicted COI for these pups is 13% (6% above the breed average of 7%) so pretty high and sadly this is a reflection of how many champions there are in the lines (which you say isn't important to you ) so to me 1 to avoid Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by treacle4775 Tue Apr 30 2013, 09:46

We've just got a new pup. She came home on Obi's first birthday (friday 26th). It's still early days but things are going great. Obi loves little Ava and has been mothering her since she arrived. He is so gentle with her even though he is a pup still himself. Having a little friend has calmed him down a little I think.

treacle4775
treacle4775
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Obi, Ava, Zac (R.I.P boy)
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, 12 weeks 11.5 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female, Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down