New People and Dog arriving to meet puppy for 1st time!

2 posters

Go down

New People and Dog arriving to meet puppy for 1st time! Empty New People and Dog arriving to meet puppy for 1st time!

Post by claire Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:02

Hi there (again)

Just wanted to run this by you.
At the weekend the family (including neices, nephews, aunts, uncles and their doggie which is rather small and quite old) are all descending upon us for lunch. Now they are a rather noisy lot and I think I'm going to tell them that when they arrive, to basically ignore the puppy and let her come to them. I'm also thinking that maybe I should tell them to leave their doggie outside for a few minutes so its not all too much for Winnie to take in at once. I say this, because when my mother in law came the other day she was very loud and loomed over Winnie to pick her up and Winnie looked visibly frightened. I'm just hoping that their dog is nice to Winnie as I want it to be a positive experience for her. I'm told the dog is sociable with other dogs so fingers crossed. I've also checked with the vet and they say its fine.

claire
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New People and Dog arriving to meet puppy for 1st time! Empty Re: New People and Dog arriving to meet puppy for 1st time!

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:20

My advice would be to walk both your dogs together before a face to face greeting in the house as this could cause problems even with two of the most plasid dogs. When your family arrive you and one other take the dogs for a few trips around the block let them walk nxt to eachother and smell eachother and then im sure u will have no problems! x

Back to top Go down

New People and Dog arriving to meet puppy for 1st time! Empty Re: New People and Dog arriving to meet puppy for 1st time!

Post by claire Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:22

problem is, she's only 10 weeks and can't go out yet so the meet would have to be in the garden.

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:24

ooohhhhhh okay then yea the garden then lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Feb 02 2011, 22:32

You know Claire the more you introduce to your girl as shes tiny will be good for her she will need to get used to noises strangers ect im sure she will be fine also the other dog will tell her when it has had enough and it looks worse than it is she needs to learn a whole load of things yet. Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 23:12

claire wrote:Hi there (again)

Just wanted to run this by you.
At the weekend the family (including neices, nephews, aunts, uncles and their doggie which is rather small and quite old) are all descending upon us for lunch. Now they are a rather noisy lot and I think I'm going to tell them that when they arrive, to basically ignore the puppy and let her come to them. I'm also thinking that maybe I should tell them to leave their doggie outside for a few minutes so its not all too much for Winnie to take in at once. I say this, because when my mother in law came the other day she was very loud and loomed over Winnie to pick her up and Winnie looked visibly frightened. I'm just hoping that their dog is nice to Winnie as I want it to be a positive experience for her. I'm told the dog is sociable with other dogs so fingers crossed. I've also checked with the vet and they say its fine.

Claire Milly was about 11 weeks when my brother and his family came and they brought masey their dog we just acted like normall and they didn't make a fuss of Milly just let her go to all of them in her own time and she was fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 08:54

We had this on saturday, we had a few people ( no dogd though) round for dinner etc. we locked Billy in his cage untill we had all finished eating he did a few howls, but afterwards he carefully choose someone who would let him on his knee and he stayed there all night. The rest of us were playing games and drinking and he was fine. I has a few sleepless nights before wondering how he would cope. just relax I am sure it will be fine.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 10:36

claire wrote:problem is, she's only 10 weeks and can't go out yet so the meet would have to be in the garden.

The garden's fine, but make sure it's controlled at first - both dogs on leads. Then maybe take Winnie's lead off & let her sniff at the other dog before letting them play. That way she'll still feel in control.

As long as everyone lets her take her time, I'm sure she'll be ok. If she starts to look stressed at all indoors take her into the garden for a little play & then try again.

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Tue Feb 08 2011, 10:48

thanks everyone. The day went really well. Winnie was very friendly to everyone and loved sitting on everyones lap. As for the doggie. She started out a bit shy but by the end of the day she was jumping all over the dog to the point that the dog was getting a bit annoyed and running away from her! I think she was probably too much for him. She also met a rottweiler in the week and that went well too. She's a real cutie. And she didn't have a single accident in the house. Did everything outside. What a star!

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 08 2011, 11:09

claire wrote:thanks everyone. The day went really well. Winnie was very friendly to everyone and loved sitting on everyones lap. As for the doggie. She started out a bit shy but by the end of the day she was jumping all over the dog to the point that the dog was getting a bit annoyed and running away from her! I think she was probably too much for him. She also met a rottweiler in the week and that went well too. She's a real cutie. And she didn't have a single accident in the house. Did everything outside. What a star!
Well done Winnie wot a star Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 08 2011, 12:36

Well done Winnie thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down