raw diet

2 posters

Go down

raw diet Empty raw diet

Post by BIG SBT Sat Apr 20 2013, 20:45

just started boss on a raw diet this morning he munched it down no bother so its a good start, i found a bucther down the road that sells people raw meats for dogs like 200 bags a week and they are 10lb in weight for £2 and its all minced so you just have to split it into meals and freeze it Smile the only thing is, im not sure if its mixed 10-10-80% or if theres bone or bone dust in it, all i know is loads of people use it. would i be better going to shops and just buying chicken wings/legs and adding my own liver and stuff?
BIG SBT
BIG SBT
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
raw diet Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

raw diet Empty Re: raw diet

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 20:54

BIG SBT wrote:just started boss on a raw diet this morning he munched it down no bother so its a good start, i found a bucther down the road that sells people raw meats for dogs like 200 bags a week and they are 10lb in weight for £2 and its all minced so you just have to split it into meals and freeze it Smile the only thing is, im not sure if its mixed 10-10-80% or if theres bone or bone dust in it, all i know is loads of people use it. would i be better going to shops and just buying chicken wings/legs and adding my own liver and stuff?

personally i would buy the mince but feed it as odd meals

I would find a supplier or buy from the supermarket so you know exactly what your feeding

Start with chicken wings, mince, chunks, legs etc and then add 1 new protein ever 1-2 weeks

You don't need to add organs i.e liver until about 3 months into the diet

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG SBT Sat Apr 20 2013, 21:20

is it not expensive buying good quality food from supermarkets on a regular basis? is there anything i can add to the minced stuff i buy to make it more suitable? like add more bone or add more protein? that way i can get it dirt cheap still.
BIG SBT
BIG SBT
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
raw diet Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 04:41

I buy from a supplier so it's mega cheap but unless you no exactly what's in the mince you wouldn't be getting it right

Also don't forget variety is a big part of a raw diet as is giving whole food and bones for the dental benefits, just giving one lot of mince is not a raw diet Smile

Back to top Go down

raw diet Empty Raw Food

Post by norfolklulu Mon Apr 22 2013, 18:31

Hi Luke

I raw feed my elderly spaniel, greyhound and 10 month old Staffie.

I wouldn't stress too much, if you want to give them the mince for the vast majority of feeds thats fine, just try to add some interest by adding some raw meaty bones (a lot of butchers will almost give these away, or ask for a small donation towards an animal charity). If you think that there is not enough liver etc just add some to a couple of meals a week - liver is soooo cheap to buy. Do not stress, I truly believe that even if you are not getting it exactly right - it is still so much better than regular 'dog food'.

Lorraine
norfolklulu
norfolklulu
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bella, Woody, Lilly
Dog(s) Ages : 10months, 10yrs 8yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female, male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 19:57

norfolklulu wrote:Hi Luke

I raw feed my elderly spaniel, greyhound and 10 month old Staffie.

I wouldn't stress too much, if you want to give them the mince for the vast majority of feeds thats fine, just try to add some interest by adding some raw meaty bones (a lot of butchers will almost give these away, or ask for a small donation towards an animal charity). If you think that there is not enough liver etc just add some to a couple of meals a week - liver is soooo cheap to buy. Do not stress, I truly believe that even if you are not getting it exactly right - it is still so much better than regular 'dog food'.

Lorraine

I'd disagree with you, I'm afraid. To feed raw properly it must be done properly. There should be bone content daily, for example.

Mince doesn't help their teeth, and you don't always know what's in it - is there offal already in it, how much fat is in it, is there any bone content?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down