Worried my female staffy is putting on too much weight after neutering

3 posters

Go down

Worried my female staffy is putting on too much weight after neutering Empty Worried my female staffy is putting on too much weight after neutering

Post by bixiwixi Sat Apr 13 2013, 00:46

Hi all,

I'm new here, came across this site while trying to find info on my baby girl's weight. Bixi is 10 months old now, she's 15 1/2 inches and weighs in at 15kg. Her Mum and Dad are both fairly stocky so I do expect her to be a good size, but when I had her neutered 4 months ago she was only 12kg. Since then she spent a couple of nights at the vets with what they suspect is Addisons disease, she had vomiting and projectile diorrhea, became dehydrated and lost over a kilo within a week, she looked so skinny it was heartbreaking. It happened 2 days after we were out walking on the roadside when a bus came whizzing past us at such a speed it made Bixi jump from one side of me to the other. She recovered just as quickly and regained the weight, but has be gaining weight pretty quickly ever since. To me she looks perfect, she eats her meals twice a day, has sardines 3 times a week and only has fish skins for treats and walks at least 4 miles every day. To me she looks perfect, but other people are commenting that she's looking a it 'chunky'. What do any of you think?
bixiwixi
bixiwixi
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bixi
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Worried my female staffy is putting on too much weight after neutering Empty Re: Worried my female staffy is putting on too much weight after neutering

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 00:50

aslong as she looks right then she's fine, she's still growing.. dont get hung up on weight imo..
My boy is nearly 9months and he's 20kg.. He's not even filled out

Back to top Go down

Worried my female staffy is putting on too much weight after neutering Empty Re: Worried my female staffy is putting on too much weight after neutering

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 02:18

Don't get bothered by the actual weight, because they all have different builds and grow at different rates, but if she looks OK to you then she probably is. Here's a link for you to have a read on anyway:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t31577-is-my-staffy-overweight

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Apr 13 2013, 09:50

Agree with Jason and Tara, although they are prone to putting on more weight once neutered. Maybe you could pop over an say hi

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 09:55

Agree with the others, if you're happy with how she looks then ignore them!

By the way, what made you think she had Addison's?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 11:08

I was always lead to believe that once neutered it's worth cutting down how much to feed a dog, as because that drive isn't there they don't need as much calories. (Not sure on the facts of this though)

At that age weight fluctuates up and down quite a bit as they are still very much growing. Don't worry too much about it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Apr 13 2013, 11:44

It is easy sometimes to get hung up on the weight issue, so long as she is happy and healthy eats her meals and gets plenty of exercise she should be OK. Do you have any pictures of her, the link below should help with posting them ?

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12017-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 13:44

^^^^agree with above, if she's happy & healthy & exercised then try not to worry. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by bixiwixi Sat Apr 13 2013, 18:57

Thanks for all of your replies, I have just figured out how to upload a pic to my profile, this was taken last week. I am a little bit paranoid I guess. She is lovely, one of the kids really, even more so since she got ill. The vet suspected Addisons disease as it started within a couple of days of her jumping out of her skin over the bus whizzing past too close. I have never seen diorrhea like it, in fact the sound of it was the worst. The vet gave her a canine kaolin 2 help stop her dehydrating, but what we did anage to get down her didn't work. She refused to touch water, we were syringing it into her mouth but it wasn't enough to stop her lips sticking to her gums, it was awful to see. The vet then kept her in for a couple of days on a drip, they suspected Addisons because her heart rate was very slow, when dogs are ill their heart rate should increase. The vet did another test while she was there, I can't remember what it was, but he said it showed signs that could be Addisons. The next day she recovered so quickly and from thereafter was as if othing had happened, which is another sign of the disease. The vet said he didn't want to do the actual Addisons test unless she had another episode. Having read up on it, it does make sense as she has never been good with any kind of stressful situation.
bixiwixi
bixiwixi

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bixi
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 18:58

She looks great Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down