janey
Kathy
bambamstaff
9 posters

Go down

Neutering Empty Neutering

Post by bambamstaff Fri Apr 12 2013, 19:56

Hi there,

Can someone direct me to information on age to neutering a male puppy? I have a 3 month old pure bred. I live in the US, so at times my dog often gets categorized as a pitbull or the American staff. I live in the US and my vet is similar to the ASPCA. I feel that they tend to push getting this done at a young age because they want to promote controlling the pet population. I support that as well as the other benefits. I just want to better understand the full picture before I bring my pet in to be Neutered.

I have read a lot of conflicting information on neutering. My biggest concern is if I do this too young. I want to better understand if my puppy will act like a puppy permanently if I do this to young, for example. or if it will grow differently.

Has anyone neutered young/old at what age and seen any affects of these statements? Does anyone one know the best age range to neuter your puppy. are there any studies specific to staffy neutering?

thanks for those who post!
bambamstaff
bambamstaff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bam Bam
Dog(s) Ages : December 19, 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Neutering Empty Re: Neutering

Post by Kathy Fri Apr 12 2013, 20:02

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

There are many arguments for and against this, if you do decide to go ahead with it please wait until he is mature at about 18 months - 2 years old.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Apr 12 2013, 20:03

Hi & Neutering Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Neutering Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Neutering Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Neutering Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Neutering Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Neutering Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Neutering Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Neutering Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 20:04

Hello and welcome to the forum from me and the kids Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 20:05

Welcome Big Grin have a read of this, hopefully it'll help weigh out the pros and cons:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12763-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs

Early neutering is pushed on dog owners a lot, but as long as you know the possible risks with it, it's your decision Smile personally, I've decided not to neuter Loki, but if I were going to, it'd be when he's two years old so he's matured.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 20:17

Welcome to the forum from me and the Monster Big Grin

Logan isn't neutered and won't be. But if you want to, it's best to wait until 18-24 months or as late as possible to allow them to fully mature. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Apr 12 2013, 20:18

Interesting first post! Personal decision, both my girls have been done at a young age, Moo looks great with an attitude to match.

Hiya from us Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Fri Apr 12 2013, 20:42

My male was done when he was under a year - forget exactly how young he was, i think about 10 months and its not effected his growth/development.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Neutering Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 21:04

Hello and welcome from me and ebony! Smile due to ebony beig a rescue, she came in as a puppy and had already been spayed in the previous rescue center before our center collected her so I'm not sure of her nurturing age but she's not turned 12 months yet and she's still growing and changing all the time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Apr 12 2013, 21:33

Hello and welcome from me and Daisy Big Grin

I got Daisy as a rescue and they said she was 1/2, I had her spayed after her first season with me.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 21:36

Hey and welcome! Smile

I'm glad you asked - a lot of people go ahead with important decisions without thinking it through. Smile What ever you decide to do, it's always best to research! As people have already said, it really is down to personal choice.

Personally, I believe that it affects different dogs in different ways. With some, early neutering may not be detrimental to the dog at all, but with others it could cause their growth to be stunted and their behaviour to stay very puppy-like.

The link Tara provided is quite useful for finding out the facts. Smile Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 22:25

Hi & welcome from us Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by bambamstaff Fri Apr 12 2013, 22:34

Hi everyone,

thank you for welcoming me and your thoughts. I really appreciate it. The article was very helpful. I am still torn, but glad I have not rushed the decision. this is a great resource for me and how to raise my pup. Its great to have found a group who understands what type of dog I have!
bambamstaff
bambamstaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Apr 12 2013, 22:36

Nice to have you on board, all experience is helpful Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 00:00

Hi & welcome.

I don't neuter my dogs, but that's a personal decision after weighing up the pros & cons. If you do decide to neuter I would always recommend waiting for full mental & physical maturity, which for s stafford is probably around 2 years old.

rescuestaffords wrote:My male was done when he was under a year - forget exactly how young he was, i think about 10 months and its not effected his growth/development.

You can't possibly say that, as you don't know what he'd have been like if he hadn't been neutered.

Early neutering makes the growth plates close later than normal, which results in a narrower, leggier dog. You also risk 'fixing' your dog's mental age so that he remains a 'pup' all his life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 00:51

Hi Bambam - Kuchar is my first Staffie and my first male dog (I always had bitches previously). I was encouraged by my vet to neuter him at 6 months old. However, I explored on the internet and received advice from the good people on this forum, and decided that for me at least, I wanted my dog to mature physically and if possibly mentally (and I have been concerned about the "perpetual puppy" syndrome), before he was neutered, if at all.

Kuchar is now nearly 16 months old and for him I feel the time has come - it may be earlier or later for individual dogs and only you can decide - it is a decision not to be undertaken lightly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 04:15

Hi and welcome from us and Suki

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 12:06

Hi and welcome from me and Vinnie Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 14:10

Hi and welcome from the kids and I Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Apr 13 2013, 16:15

Hi and welcome from me and the furballs, hope you enjoy the forums
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 16:56

hi from me and the boys

I personally do not neuter my dogs at all, but if you are set on neutering i'd always advice waiting until a minimum of 18 months

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Sun Apr 14 2013, 11:12

welcome Big Grin
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Apr 14 2013, 14:13

Hi & welcome to the forum Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bambamstaff Mon Apr 15 2013, 17:12

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give you an update from my recent vet visit. We took Bam Bam in for his rabies over the weekend and asked about neutering. The first person said, he has his rabies, its time! Not sure what one has to do with the other, but ok, its this persons opinion and what a typical answer is from this clinic. The next person I spoke with was the vet who did say she likes to neuter males a little bit older but should still do around 9 months. I expressed my concern about his growth, but she insisted this time would be ok. There is a pit bull/pit mix (including my breed) ordinance that says I have to neuter him, but does not specify at what time. Still not sure what to do, but I just wanted to share what happened.
bambamstaff
bambamstaff

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Apr 15 2013, 18:12

Well make your own mind up, its your choice Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 18:16

As long as you know the pros and cons with neutering, and particularly the possible risks with early neutering, it's entirely your choice. I would wait until he's older, personally, but as long as you've made an informed decision rather than following what everyone says and neutering them as soon as you're told to, it's down to you Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Mon Apr 15 2013, 18:21

Caryll wrote:
rescuestaffords wrote:My male was done when he was under a year - forget exactly how young he was, i think about 10 months and its not effected his growth/development.

You can't possibly say that, as you don't know what he'd have been like if he hadn't been neutered.

Early neutering makes the growth plates close later than normal, which results in a narrower, leggier dog. You also risk 'fixing' your dog's mental age so that he remains a 'pup' all his life.

He is 15" to the withers and no different to an entire male in size, muscle etc. As for his mental age, he's absolutley fine and hasn't retained any puppy like behaviour.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Neutering Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 20:34

rescuestaffords wrote:
Caryll wrote:

He is 15" to the withers and no different to an entire male in size, muscle etc. As for his mental age, he's absolutley fine and hasn't retained any puppy like behaviour.

I'm not going to start an argument or a debate, but it's a fact that early neutering results in a taller, narrower dog (note, it doesn't affect muscle developement), and can affect mental developement/maturity. As I said before, you can't possibly say that his growth hasn't been affected, as you don't know what he would have looked like had he not been neutered early.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Apr 15 2013, 20:39

Caryll wrote:
I'm not going to start an argument or a debate, but it's a fact that early neutering results in a taller, narrower dog (note, it doesn't affect muscle developement), and can affect mental developement/maturity. As I said before, you can't possibly say that his growth hasn't been affected, as you don't know what he would have looked like had he not been neutered early.

Could you not argue that the other way round also? ................ and no I don't want a debate about it either Mrs C. We all have our own opinions and it has to be a personal choice Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 20:44

janey wrote:
Caryll wrote:

Could you not argue that the other way round also? ................

Yes, and no. It's a fact that the growth plates close later when a dog is neutered early, and it's a fact that they will be taller & narrower because of that.

Obviously you can't undo what's done, so you can't know exactly what the difference would be, but there will be a difference.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 23:30

Hi and welcome from Me n Steffi Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Tue Apr 16 2013, 19:05

Hello and welcome aboard Smile
Dan
Dan