Neutering

2 posters

Go down

Neutering Empty Neutering

Post by otisthestafford Wed Mar 20 2013, 09:37

Hello Smile

Just wanted to ask a quick question. From what I have read about neutering I don't we would consider it until he is much older, about 2 years old I think is what I have read and I completely understand why, but just wondering at what age would be best if both testicles haven't descended as at the moment one of otis' testicles isn't fully descended. The vet located it and got it into the sack but it doesn't stay if you know what I mean! He is just coming up 6 months this weekend.

Thank you

X
otisthestafford
otisthestafford
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Neutering Empty Re: Neutering

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 09:41

I'm glad if you are considering neutering you are going to wait until he is old enough. I'm never going to neuter unless it is needed for health reasons, but at minimum it should be 18-24 months IMO.

He is still very young and is far from being fully mature so if the vet wasn't too concerned I wouldn't panic about it personally Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 09:56

It can take up to 18 months for both testicles to fully descend. However, you should be able to feel the other one even if it hasn't come down yet - can you?

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Wed Mar 20 2013, 10:04

Yeah its about 1.5" roughly from the sack. The vet has managed to get it to come down but it doesn't stay. Wow didn't know it took that long sometimes, we were strongly considering having him done but after speaking to our instructor in puppy classes last night, who told us do to a little more research into the downsides of having it done at a young age, I read the article on here and didn't know there was a much bigger picture to it all!
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 10:05

otisthestafford wrote:but after speaking to our instructor in puppy classes last night, who told us do to a little more research into the downsides of having it done at a young age, I read the article on here and didn't know there was a much bigger picture to it all!

Well done to your dog trainer, great advice applause

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 10:17

otisthestafford wrote:Yeah its about 1.5" roughly from the sack. The vet has managed to get it to come down but it doesn't stay. Wow didn't know it took that long sometimes, we were strongly considering having him done but after speaking to our instructor in puppy classes last night, who told us do to a little more research into the downsides of having it done at a young age, I read the article on here and didn't know there was a much bigger picture to it all!

Good dog trainer! thumbs up

Most dogs have both descended fully by the age of 5 or 6 months, but it can take a lot longer.

If the testicle hasn't descended within about 6 months or so, then you should probably start to make plans for neutering. If it's left undescended it can cause health problems, including cancer. But you're ok for a while yet! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Wed Mar 20 2013, 10:32

neutering i always feel and since beenon this forum is a pesonal preferance Smile

I had tyke done when he was inbetween 12 and 18 month,i do not regret that we had it done as he as his best pal is a unspayed staffy bitch and i feel much safer doing off lead walks as theres always that one female who would be out walking same time as us!

glad you gt good asvice from your trainer and that you are reasearching Big Grin
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 10:35

rebeccaleanne wrote:neutering i always feel and since beenon this forum is a pesonal preferance Smile

I had tyke done when he was inbetween 12 and 18 month,i do not regret that we had it done

Absolutely, it's a very personal choice. All I would say is research, and don't be rushed into it. Once he's castrated you can't reverse it!

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Wed Mar 20 2013, 11:15

Caryll wrote:
rebeccaleanne wrote:neutering i always feel and since been on this forum is a pesonal preferance Smile

I had tyke done when he was inbetween 12 and 18 month,i do not regret that we had it done

Absolutely, it's a very personal choice. All I would say is research, and don't be rushed into it. Once he's castrated you can't reverse it!

exactley thats what i say aswell caryll Big Grin the more you reasearch the more you will know
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Wed Mar 20 2013, 12:25

Definately do your research, I was quite shocked with some of the findings to be honest, there is so much that owners are not told... Important to make an informed decision. I'm glad to know that this undescended testicle has some time before it needs to show itself! Thank you everyone
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Wed Mar 20 2013, 18:20

Hey Smile

Discussed with the vet tonight about neutering and he said just watch his behaviour and see how he goes there is no real need to do it if he is doing alright... So I was happy with the response we got off him.

Smile

otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 18:21

Good advice from your vet too Smile

A lot of vets push early neutering.

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Wed Mar 20 2013, 18:27

He did mention you can have done as early as 6 months but wasn't pushy about it and did mention that it may affect his growth... So he kinda gave us a balanced view I felt Smile
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down