Irresponsible Owner On My Walk

+2
Debs01
Ben
6 posters

Go down

Irresponsible Owner On My Walk Empty Irresponsible Owner On My Walk

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 16:30

I wasn't even gonna post this, sorry for the rant.

I'm just home for my big walk for the day and it was absolutely great, Logan was so well behaved as he has been recently and I was really proud. I walked just up from my house, there's 5-6 football pitches and plenty to keep Logan occupied and it's handy for me when I'm short of time. There is always loads of dogs there, children on bikes, people racing toy cars, playing football etc.

I turned to head back home when I heard somebody screaming a name (Jack I think) from across the fields. I looked up to see a woman, who I've seen before, with her two Staffords off lead running absolutely wild. She had no control over them whatsoever and were terrorizing everyone I dont want to s

She was running about like a total moron to get these dogs and they were running 300-400 metres away from her. She had no chance whatsoever. They were chasing people, dogs etc.

I kept my distance as I always do because frankly, Logan wouldn't put up with that sort of dog. However, one of the dogs saw Logan from the whole way across the park and ran like hell. I turned and walked the other way and thankfully once I got round the corner the dog lost interest and ran after someone else. It would have been a disaster otherwise.

I stood there for a good bit, she eventually caught one dog then the other dog was easier caught.

It really pains me to say it, but with Stafford owners like this I can understand why people are afraid of these dogs. I mean, it was quite intimidating to watch and she genuinely had no control over either dog. Something really, really bad could have happened.

Back to top Go down

Irresponsible Owner On My Walk Empty Re: Irresponsible Owner On My Walk

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 16:33

Yeah, this is why even when Loki's recall was perfect, I didn't let him off the lead around people and dogs. I wouldn't want him jumping up or nipping someone and them getting the wrong idea, plus a random dog running mad towards you is scary even for a dog-lover. Some people are insane, how can you let your dog run free, especially around others, when you can't call them back? Glad it went without incident for you and Logan though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 16:37

The fact was it was two dogs. With that lack of control it tells me she isn't confident enough to be letting two dogs off in a public park. Even the way she was screaming for them to come back and chasing them which was making things ten times worse.

It was awful. I stood watching, I'd have done something if I could but If Logan had got caught up in it, it wouldn't have ended well. I can't imagine what would have happened if it was a sunny day and there was even more kiddies around etc I dont want to s

Last edited by MatLogan on Fri Apr 12 2013, 16:42; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 16:41

Well, if your dogs don't come back to you when called, they shouldn't be off the lead at all, the fact that there were kids and dogs around just makes it worse. Some people just lack common sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Apr 12 2013, 17:00

People don't get it. This is why I don't take my dogs to dog parks. Wouldn't know for sure what to expect and what if one of them went nuts, can't control more than one off lead at once even for "well behaved" dogs. Good eye and excellent maneuver.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Fri Apr 12 2013, 17:22

People are so dumb Sad It annoys me that there are so many irresponsible owners around. That's half the reason I can't walk Axl in "peak" times and have to get him out early for a long walk because some people don't have a clue. An aggressive greyhound ran up to him the other day and my partner and his mate had to shield Axl with their bodies to stop anything bad happening. I was fuming when he told me!

I am doing my absolute best to keep Axl from having bad experiences as I don't want him to get dog aggressive he's a diamond at the moment and loves everyone and every thing but its so hard to keep him away from bad dogs with people like these about. If she couldn't control those dogs they should be on a lead end of.
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 17:39

I don't think greyhounds are allowed off lead at all, def not in N. Ireland anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 17:43

MatLogan wrote:I don't think greyhounds are allowed off lead at all, def not in N. Ireland anyway.

Really? The vets/vet nurses in our dog-walking group have loads of Greyhounds and they let them off the lead. They're amazing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 17:46

I had a quick check online, I don't believe they are, at least over here. My granda always said that.

Dog racing etc is very big in Ireland so you would see them regularly muzzled/on lead. Even though they seem very friendly they are sighthounds and very hard to predict.

Still one of my favourite breeds though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 17:51

Ah, silly them then. Watching them run around was brilliant though, all the other dogs banging into everyone and they're dodging everyone and looking very agile and graceful. Think they got all of theirs from a Greyhound rescue or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 17:53

The greyhound rescue page I was on there said they wouldn't adopt out to someone who thought they could have a greyhound off lead. But I'm sure it's not as strict everywhere.

I'd love one myself some day, apparently they are big couch potatoes Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 18:01

So glad it worked out well for you mat, why on earth would you allow your dogs of lead if you can't control them, darcy's recall isn't very good so she we dont take her of lead in public places & she uses her training lead, her recall is getting better but no were near what is needed to be aloud of lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Apr 12 2013, 18:17

Wow, people like her are the reason why they are trying to bring in the act of all dogs to remain on lead in public areas Rolling Eyes
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 18:24

janey wrote:Wow, people like her are the reason why they are trying to bring in the act of all dogs to remain on lead in public areas Rolling Eyes

My point exactly Janey. If responsible owners have their dog(s) off lead and can call them back etc that's totally fine but people like that are ruining it for everyone.

It's the main reason why people are scared of dogs, irresponsible owners and bad experiences.

It takes a disaster to happen for some people to realise they are wrong though. Just glad it wasn't with Logan.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Apr 12 2013, 18:26

I would have been so angry! Stupid stupid people.....
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Apr 12 2013, 18:36

Wow mat, that have been a bit scary for you and Logan. Sounds like she needs to do some more recall training with them before she can let them off lead again.

As you say this situation can all so easily get out of hand should there have been a dog there that was DA it would have been a very different outcome. The lady was quite irresponsible for letting them off in the first place without them having very good recall.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 19:08

That's terrible! It doesn't take much to ruin a great walk! As you said, that's why people are so afraid of staffords and I'm sorry but she shouldn't be allowed them if she lets them run riot like that. Ebonys recall is perfect but as soon as she sees another dog that's it, she's off; I've never let her of lead walking through the woods to the fields ect just incase there's anyone there, it's not hard I just wish people would have more common sense. If I see any dog, leaded or not I put ebony straight back on the lead and go the opposite way - I make a point of diverting even if I need to get home ect, and even though she's good with dogs. I think it's just courtesy to respect the other owners and their dogs as it always used to annoy me when I had ebony off lead and people would walk into the field I'm on and let their dogs off (there were also plenty of other fields to go in too!!!); it used to ruin her walks and I ended up spending like 3 hours most days just waiting and walking round for people to leave so I could give her a good hour an a half run off lead! I now go to a completely different place as people there were very rude about ebony too because of how she looks and how I'd put her on a lead when dogs came onto the field we were on. They were so quick to judge yet they still let their dogs of on the field with her?! I dont want to s This topic makes me so angry gosh... And breathe Laughing

Last edited by CodlingKid on Fri Apr 12 2013, 19:11; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 19:10

stupid people Sad how horrible for you

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Fri Apr 12 2013, 21:15

stupid humans yet again letting the breed down...very sad. just what can you do thoough but dispair as you know they just wont listen to reason
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down