Help with barking!

3 posters

Go down

Help with barking! Empty Help with barking!

Post by Otissmummy Mon Apr 08 2013, 16:34

Hiya guys

My Otis is the perfect puppy he is so clever and knows so many tricks already despite only being 8 months. He is great with other dogs, great off lead, perfect recall and he is everything I ever dreamed of in a dog. I feel all my hard work and patience has paid off with his training.

However I have one major issue that I have tried to deal with several different ways and nothing seems to have worked....I cannot stand his excessive barking. I don't know what he barks at or why he is barking he just seems to like the sound of his own voice.

I have tried the command "quiet" then giving him a treat when he he is quiet but he stops for a while then goes right back to it sometimes louder than before.
I have tried ignoring him them giving him praise when he is quiet this doesn't seem to work cause as soon as he gets attention and then I stop he just starts again.
I have tried time outs....this does not work at all he just barks and barks and barks.
I have tried a squirts water bottle and he just tries to jump at the water or drink it...it quickly became a game.

I'm at my wits end..he doesn't bark when we are out, he doesn't bark on walks or outside. It's just appears to be over nothing but I'm well aware dogs shouldn't bark just for nothing there is usually a cause.

Please help me...and especially my upstairs neighbour cause I can probably put up with it but don't know how my poor neighbour must feel.

Thanks claire and Otis x
Otissmummy
Otissmummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Help with barking! Empty Re: Help with barking!

Post by Sazzle Mon Apr 08 2013, 17:18

I'm not sure, sorry. Daisy's not a massive barker, usually just when she gets excited or wants to play, or to tell me her tennis ball's gone under the sofa and she needs me to get it out!!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by fergus Sat Apr 13 2013, 22:20

Hi Claire and Otis , have you tried pet corrector spray , its a compressed gas , which you squirt when your dog is misbehaving , its the noise of the squirt which distracts the dog from what its doing , you don't have to be near the dog as its all about the noise . If my dog barks now all I have to do is show him the can or even say "Do you want me to get your spray " Its completely harmless and odour free , but obviously reward your dog when they stop their naughty ness !! good luck x
fergus
fergus
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ferguson
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 22:43

You are on the right track with the quiet command. Keep doing it everyday and add a speak command. Once he will bark on command use the quiet command to get him to stop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down