giving to charity

+2
janey
rebeccaleanne
6 posters

Go down

giving to charity   Empty giving to charity

Post by rebeccaleanne Tue Mar 12 2013, 17:28

kathys post got me thinking, i like to watch red nose day for the entertainment but i guess im a little hypocritical as i do not believe in it 100% as the donations do not stay in the country. people may think i sound racist etc etc BUT as i see it why should i give to other people out of our country when there are so many people suffering and in need were we live.

I always give to charity but im a stickler for who and how. I will give to children s charity (UK), associated cancer charity's and armed forces.

I will not give to these students that are scouting or what ever they do in the street as thats not charity work or fundraising in my eyes!!

so who gives to charity and why?

rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

giving to charity   Empty Re: giving to charity

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 18:21

I give to the homeless every christmas cause its just something i like to do, it really breaks my heart thinking of them on xmas alone and cold...ahh!! Crying or Very sad

I buy merchandise from SSCS (sea Shepard) cause i like the TV show and am quite anti-whaling.

I put pennies and such in the boxes and always buy little stickers and what not, but i don't donate to somewhere monthly cause i really don't know where to donate to.

I get what you mean about sending all the money away, but i think they need to have a more public event like this for UK donations only too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 18:33

Whatever charity catches my eye Laughing nothing specific, the last time I gave to a good cause was to a fund set up for Molly, the pitbull whose story I posted about, so they can help other dogs, bought a shirt. But just this and that, really. I don't mind if it's for this country or other ones, because yeah it's stupid that countries get involved in other countries' problems when their country has issues that get ignored, but at the end of the day, if you're helping ease one person's suffering, you've done a good thing Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 18:38

We give to the NSPCC.

I stick a few coins in collection boxes when I see them. Give a few quid to a homeless person to get his/her dinner.

That's it really. I'm not really anti or pro charity tbh. If I thought I could help I would. I'm sure for all I do it doesn't help much though if I'm totally honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Mar 12 2013, 18:44

Battersea & Cancer charities plus our local hospice. I have to agree with you about Comic Relief though Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 19:29

For years it was Cancer because of losing my mam, then we added Heart Research because of the OH losing her Grandad , and now in the last couple of years its dog charities too , wherever possible that being Staffy specific for obvious reasons, was really pleased last year to do the Staffy Walk for Northern SBT rescue with Andy and Asajames and I managed to scratch together £200 so nice result.
As 1 offs I always give to the forces charities , poppy appeals etc and after that throw a few pennies in the bucket for the non tin rattling collectors

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 19:55

I give to Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital - monthly standing order. Also WaterAid because nobody (no matter what country they live in) should have to drink contaminated pond water & die. I used to give monthly to NSPCC but I stopped it because one of their largest donators is the Marie Stopes Clinics.

Several others on an ad hoc basis, plus a fairly regular small donation to CAFOD.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 20:00

Caryll wrote:I give to Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital - monthly standing order. Also WaterAid because nobody (no matter what country they live in) should have to drink contaminated pond water & die. I used to give monthly to NSPCC but I stopped it because one of their largest donators is the Marie Stopes Clinics.

Several others on an ad hoc basis, plus a fairly regular small donation to CAFOD.

Whats the Marie Stopes Clinics (sorry too lazy to google , bit if we all did then half the forum would be redundant)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 20:02

Marie Stopes Clinics are abortion clinics. Don't get me started on abortion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 20:02

Straight Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 22:07

We give to an animal rescue on a monthly basis and I also donate to USAID that assists with natural disaters around the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Tue Mar 12 2013, 22:21

janey wrote:

Battersea & Cancer charities plus our local hospice. I have to agree with you about Comic Relief though Xx

of course i always give to the dogs Big Grin yea comic relief i just dont do Sad

Caryll wrote:I give to Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital - monthly standing order. Also WaterAid because nobody (no matter what country they live in) should have to drink contaminated pond water & die. I used to give monthly to NSPCC but I stopped it because one of their largest donators is the Marie Stopes Clinics.

gosh caryll you really do support Big Grin Big Grin

i understand what your saying and its each to there own with charity

Caryll wrote:Marie Stopes Clinics are abortion clinics. Don't get me started on abortion.

now this one is a taboo, me personally i think abortion is each to there Straight Face
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Tue Mar 12 2013, 22:22

I just give to water aid on a direct debit . We had a campain at work about 5 yrs ago and it prompted me to set up a regular donation. No other charity has had that affect on me before .
If I was to give to another regularly it would be a cancer research charity but i have never actually done it :/
I do the shoe box appeal every year and have had a child over from Belarus for 4 yrs ( chernobyl disaster) but should probably do more . I never donate on the phone.
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Mar 12 2013, 22:30

i give to any cancer charity, dogs trust, ddawatch and battersea. i cant give to all and i wont be emotionaly blackmailed by tin shakers. the only other exception is poppy day which ill give to anyone that i see around asking for donation.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Tue Mar 12 2013, 22:43

racamoe wrote:I just give to water aid on a direct debit . We had a campain at work about 5 yrs ago and it prompted me to set up a regular donation. No other charity has had that affect on me before .
If I was to give to another regularly it would be a cancer research charity but i have never actually done it :/
I do the shoe box appeal every year and have had a child over from Belarus for 4 yrs ( chernobyl disaster) but should probably do more . I never donate on the phone.

wow, what they stopped for 4 years with you??

i at the mo just feel like there too much going on hear that needs help Sad

Nathan wrote:i give to any cancer charity, dogs trust, ddawatch and battersea. i cant give to all and i wont be emotionaly blackmailed by tin shakers. the only other exception is poppy day which ill give to anyone that i see around asking for donation.

im same as you i guess, more of an impulse donater but i do choose. the asda was doing a good thing with the green tokens
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Tue Mar 12 2013, 22:44

No not for 4 yrs , one month of the year on 4 separate occassions lol
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Tue Mar 12 2013, 22:45

racamoe wrote:No not for 4 yrs , one month of the year on 4 separate occassions lol

hahaha was going to say Tongues
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13 2013, 09:59

I don't like the Comic Relief thing, I feel it is a bit like extortion! I support Autistic society and the odd dog charity. I used to give to Cats Protection League yearly but they increased the price and I felt it was to pay the bosses rather than feed the cats Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13 2013, 10:02

What is the issue with Comic Relief? Genuine question, I can't work out what's the problem with it thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by wendy1971 Wed Mar 13 2013, 10:14

We give to macmillon cancer they were great with members of my family Big Grin
wendy1971
wendy1971
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
giving to charity   Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : miley and dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and 2 and a half
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13 2013, 10:51

MatLogan wrote:What is the issue with Comic Relief? Genuine question, I can't work out what's the problem with it thinking

I think it's just that it helps people in other countries when people would rather it go towards helping people in the UK first and foremost.

Back to top Go down

Post by rubyroo25 Thu Mar 14 2013, 13:09

Animal charities only
rubyroo25
rubyroo25
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sherlock and Tommy
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 8 years
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Thu Mar 14 2013, 13:37

MatLogan wrote:What is the issue with Comic Relief? Genuine question, I can't work out what's the problem with it thinking

with out sounding harsh and we are all entitled to our opinions haha!

i believe that we should help the problems that are here in our own country first i can not imagine what they go through in these other countries but my heart lays hear and some people and kiddies are going through so much in there lifes and where i think my money would be better spent if you get me
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Mar 14 2013, 21:41

rebeccaleanne wrote:

with out sounding harsh and we are all entitled to our opinions haha!

i believe that we should help the problems that are here in our own country first i can not imagine what they go through in these other countries but my heart lays hear and some people and kiddies are going through so much in there lifes and where i think my money would be better spent if you get me
i agree, if we help here first there will be more people in a position to help others. keeping a country strong allows it to look after more not just in financial aid but in aid workers. if we become crippled were no help to anyone. compassion can jade our views but it needs something like a buisness like approach to make a real difference and make sure things get to where they are needed. i also think people resent seeing political leaders of countries living the high life while expectingthe poor of one country to fund its own poor
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down