dog thinking their pregnant

3 posters

Go down

dog thinking their pregnant Empty dog thinking their pregnant

Post by Gemma_Roxi Thu Feb 28 2013, 12:24

hey please dont judge me Sad

my dog as never been neautered being the reason i never wanted to put her through pain i know sounds silly, and its same reason Ive never let her near another dog!
im over 100% sure shes not pregnant shes never been near another male noone but me and partner walk her.
I just been fussing her and noticed she has milk leaking, with this she's very mardy and crying all the time and wont leave me alone as to practically sit on my knee before she's happy and settles.
Im taking her to the vet but cant get her in until saturday morning.
Im just worried a little.
I did a little googling and was petrified as came up with all sorts so thought i'd ask others that know staffys

thankyou
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Roxi
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

dog thinking their pregnant Empty Re: dog thinking their pregnant

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 12:28

Sounds like a phantom pregnancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Feb 28 2013, 12:29

It could be a phantom pregnancy, the link below explains this quite well, however if you are concerned over her health and safety please see your vet asap:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/reproductive/c_dg_false_pregnancy
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemma_Roxi Thu Feb 28 2013, 12:33

i've heard of them within dogs but how serious is it? what will happen to her?
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemma_Roxi Thu Feb 28 2013, 12:35

thankyou for that kathy..
she has alot of the symtoms mentioned looking through it
rang vets earliest is saturday morning as they said its 'non serious'
how they spoke to me on phone sounds like they already think i've made her pregnant so to speak so guessing its not that common?
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Feb 28 2013, 13:37

Daisy was recently spade and when we booked her in , the vet said it had to be 10 weeks (I think) after her last season finished before they could do it because in that time period it is possible for them to produce milk and if you were to spay them while they were producing milk they may continue to do so for the rest of their life.....not sure if that helps at all?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 13:49

Gemma_Roxi wrote:i've heard of them within dogs but how serious is it? what will happen to her?

It isn't serious at all. I take it that she has recently had a season, probably within the last 8 weeks? The only thing you need to be aware of is that a phantom pregnancy can sometimes lead to pyometra. So just be aware of how she is over the next 10-14 days. If she seems off colour, or isn't eating/drinking, or if you see a discharge from her vagina then contact your vet. Pyometra is always treated by spaying.

If it is a phantom (and it certainly sounds like it) she'll mope around for a week or so and generally get under your feet. She might start 'nesting' and being extra gentle with toys, especially squeaky ones. The milk should dry up on its own, but again, keep an eye on her & if any of her nipples look red or sore, then have a word with your vet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemma_Roxi Thu Feb 28 2013, 14:39

Yeah she has to be with someone all the time, my mums even having her whilst we at work as she's crying so bad when we leave her, she's always been a 'clingy' dog but for last week its become quite worse, she's following me around house and constantly crying and 'sulking'
she seems okay, she isn't eating as much as usual we feed her in bits through out the day and bowls having time to fill up now Sad.
i'll take her to vets anyway as she has a cyst next to vagina aswell and its getting a little yellow.

i know i should get her spayed really, as i never can imagine her having pups nor would i be able to keep more dogs and there be no way i could part with them not knowing the other people.. so far shes 4 and been able keep her away from boys! lol

thankyou for all your help first time roxi's been like this and seeing her leak milk petrified me as when googled said sign of cancer and all sorts, think the vet thinks i'm slightly phsycotic!
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 14:56

Gemma_Roxi wrote:i know i should get her spayed really, as i never can imagine her having pups nor would i be able to keep more dogs and there be no way i could part with them not knowing the other people.. so far shes 4 and been able keep her away from boys! lol

That's totally your decision. I don't neuter my dogs, although I'm not totally against it as long as it isn't done too early. The only thing that would make me consider it is the increasing risk of pyometra as she gets older. Having said that, I've had 4 bitches & only one of those developed it & was spayed as a result. She was about 4 or 5 at the time (I think - it was a loooooong time ago!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28 2013, 15:01

They're not dangerous, just a little annoying and if your dog gets really obsessional about things thinking they are her puppies she may be a little aggressive, but thats not very often.

If you don't want to spay her you don't have to, its a totally personal choice. If you and your partner are able to keep her away from males then whats the point in using the money and the pain for nothing? Spayed bitches can have phantoms too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down