Vaccinations

2 posters

Go down

Vaccinations Empty Vaccinations

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 21:33

Read this article in Dog World & found it quite revealing....

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/87596

Hope this link works - please let me know if it doesn't.

Back to top Go down

Vaccinations Empty Re: Vaccinations

Post by janey Thu Feb 07 2013, 21:38

Depends what views/opinions/write up/recommendations you read, there always arguments for and against, to many things.

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 21:41

As janey said its all a lot of opinions lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 21:41

Did either of you read the article?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Feb 07 2013, 21:46

Yes
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 21:58

It isn't about whether we should vaccinate or not, it's about the lack of training vets get with regard to the vaccinations themselves.

I find that quite frightening!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Feb 07 2013, 22:05

As I said before I had a long discussion with my vet and threw as many questions at him as I could. I am not one for taking things 'as is'.

Every procedure advised by vets is advised for a reason. I for one am not going to argue with a vet nor qualified too, when they answer all my awkward questions, most of which learnt here!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 22:20

Ah, but if your vet hasn't been trained properly, is he giving you the right info? That's what I find scary - what is the right information? Vaccinate or not? It seems that even the vets don't know - or at least haven't been trained to know.

Leaves us poor owners up in the air & not being sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Feb 07 2013, 22:38

But you can argue that with anything. You are pretty adamant in certain things, and all your going on is research which will always be for or against!

Depends what you read and who you listen too.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 22:40

You're missing the point Janey. This isn't about vaccinating or not, it's about whether the vets have been trained properly in the first place to give advice!

Most of that article contains quotes from vets saying that they didn't receive proper training. That's what worries me!

It's nothing to do with difference of opinions.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Feb 07 2013, 22:48

Caryll you dog should just be wild Laughing

Your against neutering, against chipping (but have just had it done), very pro raw (but have just changed), anti vacs with minority opinions.

Dogs are pets and I don't want to seem rude but I think they should be bought up and evolve into the family pet that they are. They can still be dogs and I like nothing more than watching Moo hunt/chase etc.

I hope that makes sense and I'm not trying to argue and no offense to you but you always come across so negative.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 22:49

I think vets give a lot of wrong info. How often are they "updated" on things? Like a recent post saying a more mature vet saying to stick your fingers down the dogs throat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 23:03

janey wrote:

Caryll you dog should just be wild Laughing

Your against neutering, against chipping (but have just had it done), very pro raw (but have just changed), anti vacs with minority opinions.

Dogs are pets and I don't want to seem rude but I think they should be bought up and evolve into the family pet that they are. They can still be dogs and I like nothing more than watching Moo hunt/chase etc.

I hope that makes sense and I'm not trying to argue and no offense to you but you always come across so negative.

*I'm not being negative, Janey, just passing on worrying info. As I said, I didn't post that info to back me up because I don't think it does. I posted it because it's worrying, to me at least, that our vets are not being taught properly.
*I'm still pro raw, but I've always said it doesn't suit everybody or every dog - for some reason at the moment it doesn't suit Dempsey.
*I'm still against me neutering my dogs, but I'm not against neutering & never have been - I'm against neutering early.
* I'm still against chipping as the only means of permanently identifying a dog. Tattoing is just as reliable (maybe more so) and less invasive. But if it's going to be law, I'm all for it - just not for the reasons you are.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 23:08

And by the way, not vaccinating yearly isn't a minority opinion. There are an awful lot of vets that don't vaccinate yearly because there isn't necessarily a need, and most know that, in this country at least, we over vaccinate.

However, there are also those who will vaccinate yearly without a second thought because they'll be making an extra £30 odd quid per dog every year. That is negative, I'll grant you that, but so many vets nowadays are all about money & not the welfare of the animal.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Feb 07 2013, 23:14

Again though it depends who you talk too and what opinions you read. I agree, I don't think they need to be vaccinated every year, on your advice I have left it 3 years without a problem, but if everyone thought like that then how long before disease could become a problem?

Sticking to yearly boosters now, I talked it over in depth, just wish I could re type there words.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 23:15

Well now, isn't that interesting - thanks Caryll.

I've just been wondering on this forum whether the annual boosters are necessary for our dogs.

I do believe that we should immunise our puppies against the horribles out there, and that a booster at about 1 year old is wise, just in case. We had this as children ourselves, and do the same for our children in turn.

It's the year after year after year boosters that worry me as to if they are necessary. We humans don't have yearly boosters so why should dogs have to, are their immune systems worse than ours? Or is it a money spinner for the vets - mmmm.

I know that vets have a lot to learn in their 7 years of study before qualifying, but to hear from qualified vets that vaccination was just skimmed over as a given, is disturbing to say the least.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 23:19

janey wrote:Again though it depends who you talk too and what opinions you read. I agree, I don't think they need to be vaccinated every year, on your advice I have left it 3 years without a problem, but if everyone thought like that then how long before disease could become a problem?

Sticking to yearly boosters now, I talked it over in depth, just wish I could re type there words.

That's fine, Janey - totally your decision & I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just concerned that our vets aren't being given the right teaching about vaccines in general. If they're not being taught properly, then either of those opinions could be wrong, couldn't they?

So, if we don't vaccinate annually our dogs could be at risk (but might not be) & if we do vaccinate annually our dogs might be at risk (but might not be). Which is right? Because quite frankly, after reading that article, I don't know any more.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Feb 07 2013, 23:24

I love to swap opinions but on that note I must get some shut eye, work tomorrow.

Some interesting points, on both sides Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 23:36

Me too.

Nighty night! >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Sun Feb 10 2013, 10:07

JANEY, Please check with your dogs insurance company, if a dog is not up to date with his jabs it can render some policies null and void.
Panda
Panda
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Feb 10 2013, 11:19

Panda wrote:JANEY, Please check with your dogs insurance company, if a dog is not up to date with his jabs it can render some policies null and void.

It doesn't, you are asked whether they are up to date but as long as the issue isn't to do with the vacs then it doesn't affect the insurance (just made a claim myself) but do check Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 18:25

not aimed at anyone but

MY vet tried to argue to me until he was blue in the face as i refuse to vaccinate my dogs if they already show enough immunity through titre testing, the amount of dogs who have been ill with x, y, z through over vaccinating is a very scary thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 20:05

ella wrote:not aimed at anyone but

MY vet tried to argue to me until he was blue in the face as i refuse to vaccinate my dogs if they already show enough immunity through titre testing, the amount of dogs who have been ill with x, y, z through over vaccinating is a very scary thing

That's one of the reasons I don't entirely trust some vets. They never seem to tell you both sides of the story in their entirity, or the advantages and disadvantages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 20:13

Panda wrote:JANEY, Please check with your dogs insurance company, if a dog is not up to date with his jabs it can render some policies null and void.

By all means check, but most policies will only not pay out on diseases/ailments that could have been prevented by vaccinations. All they say is that your dog should be vaccinated in accordance with the advice from your vet.

I agree. My only reservation is that, a titer test costs about £70! Add to that any vaccinations the dog may need if the test shows low immunity, and a lot of people just won't be able to afford it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 20:20

Eleanor wrote:

That's one of the reasons I don't entirely trust some vets. They never seem to tell you both sides of the story in their entirity, or the advantages and disadvantages.

Same. They tell you the side of the story that benefits them.

Apart from my own vets, who are all farmers so don't * people with all the pampering crap. If you don't want a vacc, they don't give it. They have never asked me about them before and only the last time i took her in for her teeth they said "did you know that there was parvo in your area, if you want you can get a vacc but its up to you"

thats why i love my vets (doesnt hurt that they are easy on the eye...but i think i am drawn to all farmers hahaha)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11 2013, 03:44

Caryll wrote:

By all means check, but most policies will only not pay out on diseases/ailments that could have been prevented by vaccinations. All they say is that your dog should be vaccinated in accordance with the advice from your vet.

I agree. My only reservation is that, a titer test costs about £70! Add to that any vaccinations the dog may need if the test shows low immunity, and a lot of people just won't be able to afford it!

i know they can quite pricey but my vets said they would be £60 and i do save up for them otherwise i couldn't afford but i think vaccs for a lot of people are the easy 'cheaper' option!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11 2013, 03:45

like Janey said this is not true.

I don't vacs and have already informed my insurers, the clause is 'if you do no keep vacs up to date, then you cannot claim for anything that could have been prevented by the vacs, but the rest of your insurance is still valid.'

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down