Introducing to new staff - rescue Barks - mine starts a fight!

+2
Mark
DBug
6 posters

Go down

Introducing to new staff - rescue Barks - mine starts a fight!  Empty Introducing to new staff - rescue Barks - mine starts a fight!

Post by DBug Sat Jan 26 2013, 16:33

Hi Everyone,

I'm new the forum, although I've owned by Staffy D, castrated male, for 4 years. D has always lived with Boxers since I took him on at 18 months old (he was rescued). As he's not a fan of dogs taller than him, I'm now looking into rescuing a 10 yr old Staffy from our local RSPCA. D is fear aggressive on a lead, but fine when off unless there is a dog that specifically seeks to attack him. The introduction have gone well so far, and today we had our 3rd off lead session in the play pen. The rescue Staffy has an unusual habit of either barking when receiving fuss and therefore getting excited, or when bored - ie. we put all the toys away to judge the reaction between the two as they're generally not interested in each other. One the rescue Staffy had slowed down due to no toys, when my partner gave him fuss he barked. Instantly D tells him off - I don't yet understand why - however this is then taken as a signal requiring defence by the rescue Staffy and before I know it I'm having to separate the two. I'm quite certain they weren't playing, it seemed more serious than that, but it wasn't quite 'fight to the death' standard either. As I can't bring him home before adopting him, I don't want to get him and find they've had a fight at some stage when I've popped out, or alike. Has anyone seen this when introducing Staffies before? We've picked a boy as D seems to get on better with boys than girls, he has a boy staffy friend and a boy boxer friend that he shows no aggression towards.

Thank you for reading.
Nicky
DBug
DBug
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dizzie, Arni & Beau
Dog(s) Ages : 9, 14 + 6
Dog Gender(s) : 2 boys & a girl
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Introducing to new staff - rescue Barks - mine starts a fight!  Empty Re: Introducing to new staff - rescue Barks - mine starts a fight!

Post by Mark Sat Jan 26 2013, 16:48

Ours just played for hours when they met. It needs careful thinking before you adopt this dog. If he is not right for your household could you not choose another,they do play rough though. Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Introducing to new staff - rescue Barks - mine starts a fight!  Empty Re: Introducing to new staff - rescue Barks - mine starts a fight!

Post by Mark Sat Jan 26 2013, 16:49

welcome by the way Big Grin
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jan 26 2013, 16:51

Never had 2 dogs together but you'll find some great advice here.

Maybe you could come and introduce yourself Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by DBug Sat Jan 26 2013, 16:53

ok thank you good point, I'd rather not leave a 10 yr old in a rescue but if they don't get on then he's definitely not right for us. Crying or Very sad
DBug
DBug

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sat Jan 26 2013, 16:59

take your time when choosing another dog it will pay off in the long run. If your dog gets on well with the other dog your on to a winner. Also house trained would be good also obviously Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Sat Jan 26 2013, 21:21

Sounds like directed jealousy of a sort to me. Shouldn't be too difficult to overcome.

Toys away so nothing to squabble over.

Lots of mind-engaging activity for them both so they can get used to each others' company without having to focus directly on the other.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by DBug Sun Jan 27 2013, 08:32

Thank you thats very helpful. D has spent some time with our friends boy staffie Bert ( I know cool name! ) who is exactly the same age. Bert came to stay for 4 days and there was never any trouble at all of any sort. We did get 1 squabble between D & the rescue over a tennis ball a few days ago after D got over-engaged in playing but that ended itself after a few seconds. The rescue dog loves running around with toys and D isn't that fussed with them, he's certainly not possessive with toys so I'm hoping they will be ok together. I've read lots of the net about 2 boys fighting, as D is 5 & castrated and the rescue dog is 10 and castrated, does anyone think we'll have this issue?

Thanks in advance
DBug
DBug

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jan 27 2013, 11:56

I have never had two dogs at the same time but some questions I would ask are:

Did you take D with you to the rescue centre when you first met the new dog?

Did they get the chance to meet on neutral ground before you took them both home ?

If you have to leave them both home alone is it possible to separate them into different rooms ?

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by DBug Mon Jan 28 2013, 19:06

Thanks Kathy, they have met at the rescue centre 4 times (more on that below). First times for on lead exercise, then 3 times for off lead. The rescue dog hasn't come home yet, that is planned for Wednesday. I could separate them if necessary when I go out.

When they met for the 4th time again yesterday we took all the toys away again. The rescue staffie then barked again (took him longer this time) and this time my staffie D just joined in barking. Unfortunately the play pen at the rescue has the rows of kennels around it in a U shape so all the dogs barking is reflected into the pen. This time they were together for about an hour again and there was no aggression of any sort- toys or not, and they were a little more interested in what each other was up to, in a positive way.
The rescue are aware that the rescue could go back if there's any aggression at home.
DBug
DBug

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DBug Thu Jan 31 2013, 15:07

just to say that our rescue edition joined yesterday, and the boys have been brilliant with each other so far. Marni - now Arni, from the rescue is settling in nicely, and D is being wonderfully patient with him. I definately have no concerns mixing two boys now provided you get the character and judge initial reactions correctly.
DBug
DBug

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Fri Feb 01 2013, 14:31

What a great outcome..I hope they grow to be great friends.

I love it when the oldies get rescued...well done you Smile Smile
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Feb 02 2013, 13:48

Well done, pleased to hear all is going well so far, good luck with it all, I'm sure they will get along just great.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down