rosie2011
Hayley109
gem
janey
staffi_lover
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My staffy has cancer (advice needed) Empty My staffy has cancer (advice needed)

Post by staffi_lover Fri Feb 11 2011, 23:29

I havent been around for a long time, so I'll re-introduce.
I have 2 Staffs. Father & Son, Zack & Bailey. Zack is 9, Bailey is 7.

Zack is the one that is ill. It started a couple of weeks ago when Zack seemed to be bumping into things and looked like he'd lost some balance. I took him to the PDSA and the vet said he'd had a small stroke. On further examination she felt his stomach and noticed it swollen and that there was a mass in there, she wasnt sure if it was his spleen or liver. She said if they operated and it was his liver they would not bring him round and just let him go as nothing could be done. If it was his spleen they could remove it, but dont know if he would pull through because of the stroke and his age. I was told to return to them in a week which I did. She then just repeated what she'd already told me. And advised me that because he seemed ok in himself, eating, alert etc, to leave him for now and see what happens.
The thing is I feel like I'm in limbo, kind of.
What do I do now? Just wait for him to get worse?
I'm watching him constantly for signs of him worsening and it's tearing me up inside.
How long could I have him with me? How long does it take before he gets worse? These things I just dont know..

Sad
staffi_lover
staffi_lover
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : zack & Bailey
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

My staffy has cancer (advice needed) Empty Re: My staffy has cancer (advice needed)

Post by janey Fri Feb 11 2011, 23:35

I just don't know, you know your Zack, you'll know when. Can't imagine the pain but its got to be your desision as and when its time. Just make the most of every moment which I'm sure your doing. And relish in the fact you have his son, an ambasidor of his father.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

My staffy has cancer (advice needed) Empty Re: My staffy has cancer (advice needed)

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11 2011, 23:36

Oh, hun, what a rotten thing to happen. To be honest, if were me I'd let him just carry on as he is, as long as he's not in pain.

That's what we did when our old boy got cancer. They could have operated, but he was nearly 13 years old & may not have survived the anaesthetic. He lived another year and although he got progressively weaker but was pain free. Then the vet said that he would soon start to feel pain, and he could barely walk. That was the time we made the most difficult decision in our lives to let him go.

Nothing anyone on here can say will make that any easier, but I'm sure you'll know when the time is right.

As long as he is happy and relatively healthy, let him live his life in comfort without the stress of surgery.

Back to top Go down

Post by staffi_lover Fri Feb 11 2011, 23:50

Thank you so much for your replies..

I'm worried as to whether he is in pain. He doesnt yelp out or anything, but his breathing seems different.

I've never been in this situation before so I dont know what to expect.
staffi_lover
staffi_lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Feb 11 2011, 23:57

I haven't either so can only really listen, I can't imagine the anguish but I think you have to trust your own judgment. If he's happy then thats all you can want.

Can't help other than listen, and give support
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 10:35

staffi_lover wrote: He doesnt yelp out or anything, but his breathing seems different.

The breathing could be different because of the cancer itself, not necessarily pain. He might just be getting a little weaker & finding life a little harder. But, if he seems happy and is bright eyed, eating & drinking well, I'd just molly coddle him & give him plenty of love - he deserves it. If he suddenly starts to go off his food or water, if he starts to moan for no reason, or if he can't get around anymore I'd make plans to say goodbye.

It's a terrible think to have to think about, but you have some time to repay all his love for you. Use it well & you'll know when the time is right.

Back to top Go down

Post by staffi_lover Sat Feb 12 2011, 13:24

Caryll wrote:
It's a terrible think to have to think about, but you have some time to repay all his love for you. Use it well & you'll know when the time is right.

Yes you are right. Really I should be thankful I have that..

Thank you!
staffi_lover
staffi_lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Feb 12 2011, 21:00

AWWWW so sorry for your boy as long as hes okay for now treasure him and you will know when the time is right to let him go. Its everyones nightmare and we will all go through it we are all here for you kiss
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 21:35

So sorry about your boy my Katie had cancer and was on a steroid tablet and anti inflammatory for nearly 7 years she had a marcel tumour removedgrade 3 to 4

Back to top Go down

Post by staffi_lover Tue Feb 15 2011, 00:22

Well at the moment he seems fine. His balance is back to normal etc. He is wagging, barking, giving kisses, eating and drinking well. I have noticed a cough and have been told thats part of the illness..I dont know if thats true..

We are spoling him rotten and giving him loads of hugs.

Thank you all for your comments and support. It's much needed. x
staffi_lover
staffi_lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15 2011, 04:34

Sad
sorry so terrible... just dont know what to say Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15 2011, 09:55

staffi_lover wrote: I have noticed a cough and have been told thats part of the illness..I dont know if thats true..

We are spoling him rotten and giving him loads of hugs.

Thank you all for your comments and support. It's much needed. x

Cancer often makes the lungs less efficient & can produce a slight cough. If it isn't bothering him I'd just ignore it as much as possible & continue with the TLC.

Don't forget, though, that there's usually someone on here if you feel like having a rant or just share your experiences. We'll listen & help as much as we can.

Lots of hugs to Zack and you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley109 Tue Feb 15 2011, 10:21

[quote="Caryll"]
staffi_lover wrote: I
Don't forget, though, that there's usually someone on here if you feel like having a rant or just share your experiences. We'll listen & help as much as we can.

Well said Caryll. We'll be here. I can't imagine what you are going through. Logan sends a big lick too. Smile
Hayley109
Hayley109

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Logan
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15 2011, 14:28

[quote="Hayley109"]
Caryll wrote:
staffi_lover wrote: I

Well said Caryll. We'll be here. I can't imagine what you are going through. Logan sends a big lick too. Smile

Yeh well said Caryll so sorry to hear you news my thoughts are with you xx

Back to top Go down

Post by staffi_lover Sat Mar 26 2011, 05:15

UPDATE:

He's still with us...He's been having a couple of off days where he doesnt move much, but on the whole he's very alert, still eating/drinking etc...He has started to lose weight now and I dont know how long it will be now before we have to make that awful decision to let him go...But as long as he's alert and still eating etc He's staying with us.
staffi_lover
staffi_lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 26 2011, 06:41

So sorry to read that. My last dog Kimba had cancer of the pancreas and when the vet said he was in pain.. that was it for me. I loved him too much to let him suffer on my behalf. You will know when the time is right. We have all been through similar heartache.. just treasure the time you have with him....Give the darling a big cuddle from me.

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Sat Mar 26 2011, 09:23

So sorry to hear your news i lost my staffy 3 weeks ago today and she had mass cell cancer, i was'nt sure if she was in any pain but as soon as i found out i got some pain killers just incase might be something worth looking just incase .

hugs to you x
rosie2011
rosie2011
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Mar 26 2011, 09:35

Awww a freind whos a vet said to me animals know when they want to give up and stop eating so you will know.
Im the same with one of my horses its heartbreaking to even contemplate but I know I will have to do the right thing.
Enjoy every moment you have together I have a 12 year old and shes fine at the moment she chooses when she gets up if she goes out ect ect.
We are all thinking of you take care Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 26 2011, 10:33

Glad to hear that he's coping well with it all. Cancer does make them lose weight. My Bandit was always a big, strong, muscular boy, even in his old age. But when he got stomach cancer the weight fell off him & he went to skin & bone. It's upsetting for us, but the dogs don't seem to worry about it. As long as he's still enjoying his life, that's the thing.

Don't forget to keep posting, though. We're all thinking of you both.

Back to top Go down

Post by staffi_lover Sat Mar 26 2011, 22:11

Caryll wrote:Glad to hear that he's coping well with it all. Cancer does make them lose weight. My Bandit was always a big, strong, muscular boy, even in his old age. But when he got stomach cancer the weight fell off him & he went to skin & bone. It's upsetting for us, but the dogs don't seem to worry about it. As long as he's still enjoying his life, that's the thing.

Don't forget to keep posting, though. We're all thinking of you both.

Same with Zack. He's always been a strong, muscular dog and now to see his weight dropping off is heart wrenching...

Thank you all for your replies and support. It's very much appreciated.
staffi_lover
staffi_lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Sun Mar 27 2011, 00:01

Lost for words really, it's heartbreaking, they're part of your family but when my Sherry (apple-head) went through the same thing as your Zack, I knew I had to do the right thing and took her to be PTS, I remember driving home afterwards and having to pull up cos I was so distraught, but looking back, she had a great life being part of our family, she was loved so much and gave us so much love that it was the very least we could could do for her, to give her a peaceful and loving send-off, I was there with her till the very end. I will never forget Sherry (i think of her almost everytday) and you'll be the same with Zack, treasure the time you have left with him, he'll love you for it, my heart goes out to you, thinking of you both xxx
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Hollie & Dotts
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 & 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Females

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27 2011, 08:31

Oh my gosh, I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm so sorry to hear about Zack but glad to hear he's hanging in there. My thoughts are with you. Charlie sends licks to Zack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27 2011, 21:14

Blue send loads of cuddles and I send loads of licks. Think I got that right.
My heart goes out to you at such a hard time.

Back to top Go down

Post by staffi_lover Wed Apr 13 2011, 15:22

I think the time to let him go has come. I'm so confused..Shall I hang on a while in case he perks up? Do I go ahead with it now? Sad

The last couple of days he has become lethargic and shakey..Is that a sign of pain?

He is still eating a little. I say that as a way to convince myself he is still bearing up, I think.

It will be done at home so he is surrounded by people he loves and so it is as normal as possible..

Oh God this hurts so much..
staffi_lover
staffi_lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13 2011, 15:29

staffi_lover wrote:I think the time to let him go has come. I'm so confused..Shall I hang on a while in case he perks up? Do I go ahead with it now? Sad

The last couple of days he has become lethargic and shakey..Is that a sign of pain?

He is still eating a little. I say that as a way to convince myself he is still bearing up, I think.

It will be done at home so he is surrounded by people he loves and so it is as normal as possible..

Oh God this hurts so much..

My heart is aching for you....I have been where you are now.. and it sucks !! I am sending you a big hug..please take care. XX

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Apr 13 2011, 15:37

Really my thoughts are with you, I can't help ease the pain or advise as I haven't been there, but we are all here for you, just stay as strong as you can be. Massive hugs to you at a very sad time.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13 2011, 16:13

The shaking could just be weakness, rather than pain.

Unfortunately only you will be able to say when the right time to let him go will be. None of us are there, or can see the difference in him.

Trust your own judgement, and I'm sure you will know when it's the right time.

All of us are thinking of you and send all our heartfelt good wishes during this terrible time.

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Wed Apr 13 2011, 16:42

Sending big hugs >Big Grin<
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13 2011, 18:58

Sending massive hugs to you at this painful time.
We are all here if you need somewhere to talk

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Wed Apr 13 2011, 21:49

Aww so sorry to hear the bad new treasure every day you have left least you have a bit of time to say your goodbye cant imagine how you feel dont know how id cope if that was me you will know when the time is right he will olet you know
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Apr 14 2011, 12:53

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain does keep me from my sleep
Then you will do what must be done
For this the last battle cant be won

You will be sad I understand
But dont let greif then stay your hand
For on this day,more than the rest
Your love and freindship must stand the test

We have had so many happy years
You wouldnt want me to suffer so
When the time comes please let me go

Take me where my needs they will tend
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me
Although my tail its last has waved
From pain and suffering I am saved

Dont greive that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do
Weve been so close we two these years
Dont let your heart hold any tears

Hope you know we are all so sad for you and feel your pain Crying or Very sad
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 13:00

what a beautiful, beautiful poem....

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Thu Apr 14 2011, 13:01

Gem, that just brought tears to my eyes Crying or Very sad
So sad but oh so true...
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 15:56

Great poem.
Thanks to you lot on here I'm thinking of trying to get sponcered by some tissue company. Since I go through a box a week with all the sad stories and poems you lot put on

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 14 2011, 15:59

Sad but lovely words
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by staffi_lover Thu Apr 14 2011, 21:41

A lovely poem, from what I can read of it through tears.

We have decided it will be tomorrow. He is now weakening and its time to say goodbye Sad
We have also decided to have the vet come to our home to do it, so that it's as normal as possible for Zack. Most of the people Zack loves will be here and I'm planning it to be as normal as I possibly can. Him on the settee eating a Galaxy ripple lying between myself and husband, then as far as Zack knows he's gone to sleep.

This is so, so hard I feel in limbo at the moment, looking across at Zack and seeing him looking at me breaks my heart...

Thank you all for your kind words and support. I have a feeling I'm going to need a lot more tomorrow Sad
staffi_lover
staffi_lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 21:46

My heart goes out to you.
Worst thing about owning a dog is moments like this. It's so hard.....but try to rememer about all the good reasons why we have them. They give you so much and happy memories over the years, something that you both will never forget

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Thu Apr 14 2011, 22:15

Be thinking of you tomorrow, hugs n licks from me n Hollie x
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 14 2011, 22:31

I'm so sorry for you, you new when the time was right and you have. Tears can't relate to the saddness your feeling now and no words can make it easier. All of our thoughts are with you and please talk whenever you need someone. Massive support to you x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Thu Apr 14 2011, 22:57

Thinking of you at this sad time kaiser sends lots of licks
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by princesslou Thu Apr 14 2011, 23:19

Our thoughts are with you and your family at this so very hard time. Poem had me in floods even brought a tear to my partners eyes.
princesslou
princesslou
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paris & Tyson
Dog Gender(s) : M/F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15 2011, 08:04

Just to let you know all the members thoughts are with you today.
We are here if you need to talk >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15 2011, 10:09

..yes .. been thinking about you all day....
please take care XXX

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15 2011, 11:24

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Just to let you know all the members thoughts are with you today.
We are here if you need to talk >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by staffi_lover Fri Apr 15 2011, 18:01

My beautiful boy has gone. I knew today was the right time to say goodbye, he had weakened overnight and when the vet came he just lay down like he knew it was time to go. Even up to the end he was dignified as he always had been. He was surrounded by friends and family who he had loved and who loved him. He drifted off very quickly and peacefully. After he had passed we let Bailey in to see him and he gave his daddy a lick. He will be missed terribly.

R.I.P Zack, my beautiful friend.
My staffy has cancer (advice needed) 208185_1848649328985_1023244456_32050748_6619086_n
staffi_lover
staffi_lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15 2011, 18:03

I am so sorry for your loss as I am typing this I have tears in my eyes so I cannot imagin how you are all feeling my heart goes out to you and your family .

R.I.P Zack

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Apr 15 2011, 18:31

What a sad for day for you, but what a grand Man he was, also have tears for you too, you have his son who will carry his genes through, he might be gone but never forgotten. Sending as much support as we can, over the net anyway, run free Zack, your going to be missed, you have touched peoples hearts that have never even met you. x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15 2011, 20:45

R.I.P. Zack.....run free buddy.

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Fri Apr 15 2011, 20:57

So sorry for your loss, must have been a traumatic day for all of you

R.I.P Zack
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Fri Apr 15 2011, 21:09

So sorry to hear of your loss rip zack run free x
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next