HELP Advice needed about crating my staffy

5 posters

Go down

HELP Advice needed about crating my staffy  Empty HELP Advice needed about crating my staffy

Post by SBT_JAKE Tue Nov 27 2012, 23:08

Hi everyone i am in need of everyone's opinion about crating my staffy during the day when im out.
its just that every time i come home my staffy Jake as pulled rubbish out of the bin chewed cushions my trainers my clothing or even my bedding i do have a cage for him had it since he was a pup but never locked him init when im out in the day he never does his business in my home just chews and destroys things.
Is he is board or something ? i leave the TV on for him and he as his food and water he is only 15 months old would like everyone's opinion please about caging him in the day or is it cruel to do so.

Thanks in advance, Danny
SBT_JAKE
SBT_JAKE
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jake
Dog(s) Ages : 18 month
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

HELP Advice needed about crating my staffy  Empty Re: HELP Advice needed about crating my staffy

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 00:26

I am just about to start crate training my girl too as I'm moving to my parents place for a few months and I think she is safer being crated while I'm at work..

The advice I have been given is to start by feeding him in the crate that will make the crate a positive place for him, start it with short periods, lock him in, then leave the house for a little while at a time and build it up to the needed time he will be crated, put something of yours in the crate with him with your scent on it, and give lots of chew toys, a kong for mental stimulation or/and a stag bar.. Also make sure he is well exercised, a long walk before being locked in for extended periods of time is needed.

It is not cruel to crate train, and they are very adaptable and will get used to it soon enough Big Grin

Back to top Go down

HELP Advice needed about crating my staffy  Empty Re: HELP Advice needed about crating my staffy

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 06:50

Very important is the exercise routine , how long do you take him out every day , how many times and is he walked immediately before you leave ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Wed Nov 28 2012, 07:25

How long was Jake left at home during the day. Our dog only stays in a crate 2 hours a day. It's probably not good to leave him a long while in a crate. He will need plenty of exercise though
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 07:30

We do have members that leave the dog in crate for longer periods but have a walker or a friend come in to let them have a run out in the garden or a walk. Sometimes the crate is left open as a haven and sometimes it's closed because of destruction it really depends on the circumstances but again I repeat the exercise is the key to it all

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 07:51

As long as he is exercised and the time left in the crate is built up slowly he will be okay. We leave Suki out and she is good for 8-10 hours on her own. The destructive behaviour is either seperation anxiety or having too much energy or a combination of the two.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Wed Nov 28 2012, 09:42

I am a big fan of the crate , Duke was taught at a very early age to use his crate , he loves it now it his bed , he stays the night in it, and if we have to go out during the day he goes in at the click of my finger. when we are home he is of course out of it and we lock his crate .

Im pleased to say we have never had destruction from Duke in the home , forgot to add he takes his stag bar in there at night as well and he has never chewed his bed , crates are a wonderfull thing Smile
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 28 2012, 10:24

We got a crate for Rocky when we first got him. We used to put him in there when we left the flat and shut the door. We then tried leaving the door open for him to just go in and out as he pleased. We were quite lucky because when we got back he had not even touched anything or chewed anything.

When we now get ready to go out Rocky will just go and sit in his crate, the door of it is always left open for him. When we get back from wherever we have been we know that he has been on our bed for a snooze because there is a lovely warm patch where he has been lying.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by SBT_JAKE Tue Dec 04 2012, 00:37

hi all thank you for all your comments and advice much appreciated so as long as he as been for a long walk/ run around before i leave him in the crate he will be fine yes ?
SBT_JAKE
SBT_JAKE

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jake
Dog(s) Ages : 18 month
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Tue Dec 04 2012, 00:39

Remember, he will need another walk/run after getting sprung. I crate my three for many reasons (safety as number 1 reason). They do fine as long as they get their fun and games. Not usually more than 3 hrs at a time.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down