Sleepless in the Loung room change of bed position in house! HELP!!!!

+3
janey
Kathy
HoneyBear
7 posters

Go down

Crying Sleepless in the Loung room change of bed position in house! HELP!!!!

Post by HoneyBear Mon Jan 07 2013, 21:45

When we bought our beautiful bundle of joy home she slept in a children's play pen with her bed next to our bed. First night was heartbreaking- but we survived and soon (2 days) got her sleeping throughout the night Big Grin
My husband then decided that after two weeks that she should sleep in the lounge room instead. Still in her play pen, with bed, toys and now a garment of ours that had our smell on it.

Where we have her in the lounge room it is about 2m from where we had her in our room. We leave a light on and fan for her to try and make her as comfortable as possible. We have trialled light on/light off and nothing seems to change her behavior. But after three sleepless nights and her doing everything to escape, soil her sleeping area and ram the playpen, cry like she is being slaughtered and howl like a wolf in a forest - I am starting to think maybe this was a bad idea.

We have kept food, playtime etc all the same. Ensuring she is really tired before bed. She can smell us from where she is and we sit with her till she falls asleep. Any ideas? at wits end
HoneyBear
HoneyBear
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Honey
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Sleepless in the Loung room change of bed position in house! HELP!!!!

Post by Kathy Mon Jan 07 2013, 21:48

Rocky has always slept on the bottom of our bed, couldn't imagine trying to move him now, I know he wouldn't sleep anywhere else.

Have you tried putting a radio on very quietly for her, just as a sound in the background.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Sleepless in the Loung room change of bed position in house! HELP!!!!

Post by HoneyBear Mon Jan 07 2013, 21:51

Thank you will give this a go tonight and fingers crossed it helps!!!
HoneyBear
HoneyBear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jan 07 2013, 21:52

HoneyBear wrote:When we bought our beautiful bundle of joy home she slept in a children's play pen with her bed next to our bed. First night was heartbreaking- but we survived and soon (2 days) got her sleeping throughout the night Big Grin
My husband then decided that after two weeks that she should sleep in the lounge room instead. Still in her play pen, with bed, toys and now a garment of ours that had our smell on it.

Why change? Smile

If she was happy in your room, and you don't mind keep her there Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 23:02

Firstly - Honey is absolutely gorgeous.

Secondly - I'm so soppy about any puppy I get that I can't bear them to cry from loneliness at night, so I've always had them AT LEAST in the room with me. Result - good night's sleep for all.

Downside of secondly - pup will always want to sleep with you! Or any accomodating human.

If, as puppy's new mum (or dad) you are a singleton, like me, no problem.

If however you are part of a couple and value your private time, then the pup (unless BOTH of you are happy with sharing your private times with the dog, and that includes just sleeping!) will need to get the pup acclimatised to sleeping on its own.

You have helped Honey over the first hurdle of adjusting to another home without her siblings and mum, now she needs to learn to survive on her own at night. A piece of clothing smelling of you, a soft radio, a hot water bottle if it's cold, maybe the old-fashioned ticking clock in her bed, should all help her settle. Then, it's just a question of hardening your hearts regarding the banshee wailings!

Good luck >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by jojobda Mon Jan 07 2013, 23:32

Kathy wrote:Rocky has always slept on the bottom of our bed, couldn't imagine trying to move him now, I know he wouldn't sleep anywhere else.

Have you tried putting a radio on very quietly for her, just as a sound in the background.

The radio works for us, she goes down to yoyo ma and enya, none of which I listen to or own, but that music is relaxing I must admit. Pandora FTW!!!!

Also we cover her crate with a blanket.
jojobda
jojobda
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Sleepless in the Loung room change of bed position in house! HELP!!!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : Oct. 16 2012
Support total : 40

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.trott.754

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 23:53

Ah, good idea! (blanket that is)

Sleep well!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Jan 08 2013, 11:46

Your mistake was starting off letting her sleep in the bedroom. You should have started as you meant to go on. The only thing you can do now is be cruel to be kind and lose a couple of nights sleep! Keep on with what you are doing, eventually she will get the message. Radio is a good idea or TV left on quietly.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBear Thu Jan 10 2013, 08:24

We have gone back to the bedroom and will slowly move her bed towards the door. So far we have had a full nights sleep and fingers crossed this will work! Our dog trainer at puppy preschool said this is a good tactic to reduce her stress and get results....... we wait and see!
HoneyBear
HoneyBear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 08:32

If it's not far from your room, sounds like a good idea.
Let us know how you get on

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 10:16

You could try moving the crate a little each night. The blanket over the crate and the radio will also help.

Back to top Go down

Post by saffi28 Thu Jan 10 2013, 17:09

Good luck and keep up your efforts if you really do want her to sleep independently. I was far too soft with Maisey and after sleeping downstairs with her for a couple of weeks to try and climatise her to a crate, crate ended up in the garage and she ended up on our bed. She is now 6 and goes to bed at the same time as us Blushing Cor she can snore for England.
saffi28
saffi28
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie (Rocker Dog) and Maisey
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 5 and a half
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Thu Jan 10 2013, 18:18

Good luck both our sleep in the bed well Skye with one of the kids and buster in with us
If day off however i end up with both snuggling in bed to me and my oh nothing better than that (well u know what i mean lol)
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down