skin

5 posters

Go down

skin Empty skin

Post by sam.bill Thu Jan 03 2013, 21:55

Hello i was wondering if any one can help me. I got a male staffy hes white and he goes pink. We got him from the rescure centre about 6 months ago. In the last few weeks he has started to have a skin problems, hes itchiness is all the time. and he has now really biting himselfs all the time espically his paws PLease Help???

sam.bill
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

skin Empty Re: skin

Post by janey Thu Jan 03 2013, 21:58

Have you visited the vets?
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 21:58

I wouldn't worry too much about the going pink part, as a lot of dogs do it - it's just more noticeable with white-furred dogs. Smile

As for the skin problems, white dogs are often prone to them. It could be an allergy. Have you introduced anything new into your home recently? New bedding, detergent, dog soap? Has he been into contact with new things? If it's on the paws, it could be a reaction to cut grass. If it's prolonged or severe, you should take him to the vets to be on the safe side.

If you have any pictures, that would help. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 21:59

Where are you situated? Are you in the UK, or are you somewhere where it's now summer?

Back to top Go down

Post by sam.bill Thu Jan 03 2013, 22:35

janey wrote:

Have you visited the vets?
Yes we have he told us to use calming shampoo once week, which it did not work took him back and said its one of those things but the dog is unhappy might go to a new vet

sam.bill

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by sam.bill Thu Jan 03 2013, 22:37

Eleanor wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the going pink part, as a lot of dogs do it - it's just more noticeable with white-furred dogs. Smile

As for the skin problems, white dogs are often prone to them. It could be an allergy. Have you introduced anything new into your home recently? New bedding, detergent, dog soap? Has he been into contact with new things? If it's on the paws, it could be a reaction to cut grass. If it's prolonged or severe, you should take him to the vets to be on the safe side.

If you have any pictures, that would help. Smile

I have not changed anything at all. not his food , bedding or anything. i will try and take pictures in the morning thanks. i have been to the vets twice but not help full

sam.bill

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by sam.bill Thu Jan 03 2013, 22:39

Caryll wrote:Where are you situated? Are you in the UK, or are you somewhere where it's now summer?

Yes i live in North wales by the seaside. that where i walk him on the beach and its cold here. thanks

sam.bill

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 22:40

sam.bill wrote:
Caryll wrote:Where are you situated? Are you in the UK, or are you somewhere where it's now summer?

Yes i live in North wales by the seaside. that where i walk him on the beach and its cold here. thanks

OK, that rules out sunburn!

Could he be getting sand in his coat that you're not, perhaps, getting out properly? Do you wash him down when you come back from the beach?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03 2013, 22:50

sam.bill wrote:

I have not changed anything at all. not his food , bedding or anything. i will try and take pictures in the morning thanks. i have been to the vets twice but not help full

If there are other vets nearby, a second opinion might be worth your time. Skin scrapes might need to be done to determine the cause.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04 2013, 02:47

Moved to "health issues"

Back to top Go down

Post by sam.bill Fri Jan 04 2013, 09:15

Caryll wrote:
sam.bill wrote:

OK, that rules out sunburn!

Could he be getting sand in his coat that you're not, perhaps, getting out properly? Do you wash him down when you come back from the beach?
Yes he gets sand in his coat, but always wash down. We can take him other places and it still happens. we have walk him on a lead for about 3 to 5 miles a day for a week to see what happens still the same!!!

sam.bill

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by sam.bill Fri Jan 04 2013, 09:18

Eleanor wrote:
sam.bill wrote:

If there are other vets nearby, a second opinion might be worth your time. Skin scrapes might need to be done to determine the cause.

I thought that, but just did not want to cause stress to the dog, with out trying other options first

sam.bill

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by sam.bill Fri Jan 04 2013, 09:19

Hayley wrote:Moved to "health issues"

thanks will do

sam.bill

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04 2013, 10:32

I don't know if you've already said, but what do you feed him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04 2013, 14:16

My dogs are both white and they both go 'pink' when they are warm, cold, been playing etc so that is normal, they don't get itchy with it though and certainly don't scratch it.

Sounds like some sort of allergy or something irritating his skin

Back to top Go down

Post by sam.bill Sat Feb 02 2013, 10:44

I found out its the new chappie food. Please can any one tell me what is best for him now ?? Please help the poor dog has chewed his paws and legs that he can't walk any more and there are bleeding the vet has give him steroids but they are not working. Tried 2 different foods but not working or I'm might not giving it long if enough but I am so so upset seeing my dog like this. Please can any one help me ?????

sam.bill

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 11:49

Have a look at the replies in your other thread. Hopefully they'll help you. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by shazney Sat Feb 02 2013, 12:31

Chappie, wagg, chum or bakers are not good for your dogs skin or general health, don't make the same mistake as me, I never knew this and my last dog ended up on steroids and antibiotics everyday of her life...

Blank any food that is commercial, I feed my dog on Wainwright, It may be more expencive but in the long run you will save on vet bills.
shazney
shazney
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
skin Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 10 wks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt Fri Feb 08 2013, 08:14

Give him an antihistamine tablet once a day, I find Zyrtec to be the best (available at chemists). Put the Zyrtyec tablet in a glucose jelly bean, also from the chemist.

I have just gone through the same thing.
oldsalt
oldsalt
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Angus McTavish
Dog(s) Ages : 2,5
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

http://www.tri-service.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08 2013, 09:43

That Chappie food isn't great at all. When reading your issues I'd say an allergy could be the issue too.

I've been harping on about it a lot lately but James Wellbeloved is a great option, it's hypoallergenic. Logan is a tremendously picky eater, which you'd never think by looking at him lol. My girlfriend's Stafford Izzy has stomach issues and allergies like a lot of dogs. The JWB has worked wonders for us both, I've just started Logan on it and he's licking his bowl after with no drama and Izzy has put on weight and is absolutely shining.

Pets at Home are doing two bags for £13 which is very cheap for what you are getting. I'd suggest a mid price range food like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Fri Feb 08 2013, 17:38

Hi,

Stella had skin problems but it was superficial pyoderma caused by irritation caused by her collar and harness (fabric and leather, it was rubbing her skin) and it started when her skin immunity was influenced by flea spot on treatment.

She first went on ATB but was poorly on them and skin improvement was temporary.

So I went to a holistic vet instead and they gave her shampoo called MALASEB. I washed her twice and it cleared.

The vet said to stay away from the spot on treatments (it was Frontline) because some dogs don't tolerate it.

Now and then she gets red skin under her harness (she has a very soft fleece padded one now) and I wash it with HIBISCRUB and then I put HUMILAC on it. Antimicrobial wash and moisturiser for dry skin. I got it online then and the vet said it's good.

But obviously your poor dog can have something completely different... Sad
Stella was not itchy at all and was not biting herself... Her skin was red at places and hardened and thickened.

I would go and see another vet.

And definitely the food might be to blame as well; Stella is on raw but Wainwrights or James Welbeloved are good as suggested above! And she gets yolks and salmon oil. And garlic tablets are good for skin as well - she gets them too:-)

Good Luck, I hope it will improve soon, it's terrible to see them suffer Sad
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
skin Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down