Dry Skin !!!!

3 posters

Go down

Dry Skin !!!! Empty Dry Skin !!!!

Post by hollymolly Sun May 01 2011, 17:49

Hiya everyone...the info i get on here is a life saver.. So here goes folk's.. My little girl Inca (who is 8mnths old) has recently had two skin conditions, she 1st got Ringworm, which cleared up after the Imaverol shampoo course and was fine for approx 2 mnths but then she got a bald patch between her ears on her head, she had a scrapping which came back as Demodex Mange and was put on Panomec (0.3ml squirted into her food daily) but whilst on the Panomec she had another flare up of Ringworm as the vets said her immune system was down due to the Mange which has allowed the Ringworm to flare up again.. so she was put back on the Imaverol baths... Thankfully she is fully over her Ringworm but is still having the Panomec daily and i think having these two harsh skin/fur treatments in her system as made her skin abit on the dry side. Mainly on her back by her tail and the outsides of her back legs, but all her skin look's like it could do with abit of moisture on it really.. She has Evening Primrose capsules once a day and we are slowly reducing the Piriton she was put on by the vet due to her skin conditions ( she has half a Piriton x2 a day)... So basically guys has anyone got any suggestions as to what i can for her dry skin, it doesn't make her itchy or irritate her, and she has an oatmeal,aloe vera, sweet almond oil shampoo (dog one..john paul/paul mitchell) .. I would just like to get rid of her dry skin.. Please help if anyone can..

Thanx xxx
hollymolly
hollymolly
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Inca & Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old ...
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females..
Support total : 84

Back to top Go down

Dry Skin !!!! Empty Re: Dry Skin !!!!

Post by Aniemother Sun May 01 2011, 18:27

Now I have never moisturized with something from the outside.. BUT - if it was my dog I would probably try to put a little lanolin on it. I have this pure lanolin salvae that's really for breastfeeding mothers to soothe irritated nipples ( Laughing ) that I use as a lip balm and it works wonders on all kinds of dry, irritated skin and has no chemicals.

I am a firm believer of also adding fish oil to help the skin recover. I usually just give a meal or two of fatty fish each week, but you can of course use regular omega 3 supplements. You find oils especially for dogs, or you can squeeze out the contents of the capsules for humans. But be aware that if they contain soy(tocopherols used for conservation is often from soy) it can be an allergen, which is why I take the (in my opinion) easy way and feed fresh fish. My cats will vomit if they get anything with soy, learned that the hard way.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun May 01 2011, 18:29

I'm really not sure but pleased to hear she is coming through both other conditions. It may just be a matter of time for her skin, she's been through a lot of treatment. A lot has been put into her system at a very young age. There are supplements you can get but after all she has been through I personally wouldn't. You could boost her with oily fish maybe, tuna? And maybe on the really dry bits try sudocream. I hope it gets better for her x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down