Advice please

2 posters

Go down

Advice please Empty Advice please

Post by raven Mon Nov 26 2012, 09:37

Let me start with an apology,my father is amember of this forum and i am not proud of lying to members,but this is a false name and there is no dog.My father has already introduced my dog and you have see lots of pictures and a few videos of us all walking him.He would be devestated if he ever worked out this was him i am asking about so once again apologies. Now my problem is i pay for myself and MY dog to go training because we both need help, i with him and the dog with me, My trainer uses check chain and my dog responds well and rarely needs checking and we have nice walks no pulling and obediance no problems, but my father will not use the check as he calls it a choker, he walks my dog for miles with a normal coller and i feel it is undoing my training how can i tel him to do it my way? .And how do i tell him to stop getting too close because i am moving out soon and it was agreed when we rescued him that he was mine and i want to take hime with when i go. My father insists on buying my do presents like coats which he doent need ,collers x3 just to buy him things please help,

raven
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : jess
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Advice please Empty Re: Advice please

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 09:44

Welcome to the forum.

Oh, dear. I fear you're not going to get the answer you want to hear.

The check chain is such an old fashioned way of teaching a dog to walk well on the lead, and I'm surprised that there are any trainers out there that still use them.

An ordinary collar or harness is all you need. Having said that, it's your dog and you must do what you feel is right. I'm just saying that I agree with your father that it doesn't need to be used.

Walking on an ordinary collar won't have any impact at all on what you're teaching him, though, and the exercise she's getting with your father will do her no harm at all. I assume that your father has bonded with Jess & just enjoys being with her? Maybe that's why he buys her things? Although you've told him not to get too close to her, that's rather easier said than done with a stafford, isn't it? Sad

If you would like to know how to do heel work without a check chain, then please ask & you'll get several tried & proved ways of doing it! Big Grin

Sorry I haven't been more positive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Mon Nov 26 2012, 09:47

You don't need a choke collar to train a dog not to pull, any dog trainer that still uses them is behind the times. My rescue was a puller and we got him to stop pulling by using a harness that doesn't pull on the neck, a shortish lead and a mix of authority and rewards for correct behaviour. A choke collar hurts the dog and makes him resent being leashed, which is not what you want. Sorry but I'm with your father on this one!

Have a read of this - http://www.k9to5club.co.uk/news/How_to_lead_train_your_dog.php
Mani
Mani
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice please Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mani
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male - neutered
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 09:49

That's one way, but there are others if you need to know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 09:58

P.S. You do realise that if your father logs on, he'll see this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down