+3
Jackieb
ergo
Stokester
7 posters

Go down

KC Register Empty KC Register

Post by Stokester Sun Nov 25 2012, 19:43

Hello all, last question for the day ive got drive back to camp soon Sad boohoo ive got 6 weeks off next week though where ill get spend time with my Lady and Gary whilst shes working Smile
anyways.. Gary is 13 weeks now we had him of a friend i went school with. He didnt come with any papers but his mum and dad were both kc registerd, we have a card of al his family tree that go back ages and ages.
How would i go about getting our dog kc registerd? it never really matterd to me before but now i want to get him pet insurance i dont want to have him down as a X breed.
Stokester
Stokester
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gary
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

KC Register Empty Re: KC Register

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 20:02

ring the Kennel Club. if you have his pedigree surely he will be reg. I think the breeder registers each pup normally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 20:45

The breeder is resposible for KC reg the dogs, so if they mum and dad are both legit KC reg i don't see why they haven't. it does cost, but surely a goood pup would cover the cost itself.

you should contact them and ask are they willing to register it. you will then have to get the papers and change the owners name. you can't register the dog yourself.

Back to top Go down

Post by ergo Sun Nov 25 2012, 21:05

in oz, only the the breeder, who must be a registered member of the ankc, can register a puppy.

ergo
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 21:07

Phone the kennel club & they'll tell you exactly what you can or can't do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Nov 25 2012, 21:17

In the uk general rule is the breeders responsibility to register the pups... It's only the breeder that truly knows the dogs parentage.

Some kc registerable litters aren't registered due to the breeders not wanting to pay the registration fees.

U can call the KC for advise but I fear they will just refer u bk to the breeder.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by ergo Sun Nov 25 2012, 22:01

Jackieb wrote:In the uk general rule is the breeders responsibility to register the pups... It's only the breeder that truly knows the dogs parentage.

Some kc registerable litters aren't registered due to the breeders not wanting to pay the registration fees.

U can call the KC for advise but I fear they will just refer u bk to the breeder.

good post.....i would suggest this the likely scenario.

so contact the breeder first & if you get no joy there then contact the the K.C.

but don't expect them to intercede on your behalf.

edit.

if the parents are registered the k.c. will have their pedigrees on record. but i don't know if that will help your cause either.
i.m pretty sure only the registered owner/s can request copies & they would have to be members.

ergo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Sun Nov 25 2012, 22:55

ill have to contact the breeder then. the breeder is a girl i know from school its her first litter that wasnt planned so she didnt really know what she was doing but she claims that both parents are pedigree.
I was overseas when we decided to have Gary so I never got to see him as a pup or any of the parents papers instead my partner went . I have seen pics and they both look pure staffy.
Its worth a try to see if i can get him registerd, im not interested in breeding him or that botherd if he cant be kc registerd because no matter what he will still be my Gary. i just dont want complications with pet insurance ect Smile
Stokester
Stokester

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 23:22

Don't worry about pet insurance - they won't be intersted if your pup is registered with the kc or not.

The only real reasons to register him are for showing or breeding. If you don't intend to do either then I really wouldn't bother with the hassle. If you want to take up agility or some other KC activity with him in the future, you can always register him on the Activity Register.....

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3440

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Sun Nov 25 2012, 23:25

Caryll wrote:Don't worry about pet insurance - they won't be intersted if your pup is registered with the kc or not.

The only real reasons to register him are for showing or breeding. If you don't intend to do either then I really wouldn't bother with the hassle. If you want to take up agility or some other KC activity with him in the future, you can always register him on the Activity Register.....

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3440

I see dog insurance the same as a car insurance, if you lie about performance and modifications then they might try to get into some technicle small print saying that i breached the contract and they might refuse to pay out thats all that im woried about. no buisness likes paying out but there all happy to recieve.
i dont want them been petty to say that i dont have proof therefore my dog is a cross breed because im very sure hes pedigree i just dont have the papers.
Stokester
Stokester

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 23:31

Then just say he's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They aren't interested in his papers, just what he is. You bought him as a staff, and he almost certainly is a pure staff, so that's all they want to know.

There's no lie to that, no deception. It's actually the truth. My insurers have paid out over £5000 and never once asked for Dempsey's registration documents, and they never will. He's a Bull Terrier, no doubt about that and so it doesn't matter if he's registered or not.

Honestly! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Sun Nov 25 2012, 23:40

ill leave him as he is then Smile doesnt make no difference to us if hes registerd or not as we aint interested in breeding or showing him off.
ill show him off when i take him for walks i dont need to make a circus out of him. thanks for your advice Caryll and for everybody elses imput Smile
Stokester
Stokester

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 23:42

Don't totally discount the idea of something like agility, though. Staffords often do really well at it, and it can be a lot of fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by ergo Mon Nov 26 2012, 00:46

Stokester wrote:ill leave him as he is then Smile doesnt make no difference to us if hes registerd or not as we aint interested in breeding or showing him off.
ill show him off when i take him for walks i dont need to make a circus out of him. thanks for your advice Caryll and for everybody elses imput Smile

you should take some time for a rethink.
i don't know what the age limitations for registration are in the u.k. but there will be one i'm sure.
if there are any k.c. members here maybe theywill let us know.

being a ''k.c. registered'' pure breed is no weight to carry. it is actually quite special. knowing your dog really is a pure breed is special as well.

dog shows aren't a ''circus'', they are deadly serious, fun & very informative, but serious none the less. & they are where you will see some of the best bred registered pure breed dogs on the planet.

ah yes...k.c registration is special.....reconsider.

ergo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 08:43

ergo wrote:
Stokester wrote:ill leave him as he is then Smile doesnt make no difference to us if hes registerd or not as we aint interested in breeding or showing him off.

i don't know what the age limitations for registration are in the u.k. but there will be one i'm sure.

being a ''k.c. registered'' pure breed is no weight to carry. it is actually quite special. knowing your dog really is a pure breed is special as well.

dog shows aren't a ''circus'', they are deadly serious, fun & very informative, but serious none the less. & they are where you will see some of the best bred registered pure breed dogs on the planet.

If the dog is not going to be shown or bred from then registration is just a piece of paper. It doesn't matter. He has a pedigree & therefore knows his dog's ancestry & that's all that's needed. Saying that it's 'special' is just being elitist. It won't change the dog or his owner's love for him.

This is not a breeders' forum, neither is it a KC registered dogs' forum. We have many people on here who have either stafford crosses or pure bred but unregistered staffords - these dogs are all as special as the registered ones. The only need for registration is if you intend to show or breed. If a dog is registered, wonderful! It's a nice piece of paper to keep with its documents, but it really doesn't matter one hoot if it isn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 09:41

The reason i would get KC reg is that if he grows out of standard he can still be proven to be a KC staffy if anyone asked/gave you bother about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 09:47

Yes, but if you're friends with the breeder & you have a pedigree document, with photos from birth to adult, you'll probably be ok.

Having said that, if your stafford grows out of standard, then whether it's registered or not, it could still be classed as pitbull 'type', so registration papers would have little impact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Mon Nov 26 2012, 11:37

Caryll wrote:
ergo wrote:

If the dog is not going to be shown or bred from then registration is just a piece of paper. It doesn't matter. He has a pedigree & therefore knows his dog's ancestry & that's all that's needed. Saying that it's 'special' is just being elitist. It won't change the dog or his owner's love for him.

This is not a breeders' forum, neither is it a KC registered dogs' forum. We have many people on here who have either stafford crosses or pure bred but unregistered staffords - these dogs are all as special as the registered ones. The only need for registration is if you intend to show or breed. If a dog is registered, wonderful! It's a nice piece of paper to keep with its documents, but it really doesn't matter one hoot if it isn't.

Post of the year. Smile

Harley

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by harlou Mon Nov 26 2012, 12:00

Both olly s parents are kc reg he is a rescue we got the breeders adress they gave us his parents kc numbers we rang the kc and they told us we couldnt register him
harlou
harlou
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
KC Register Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : OLLY
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Nov 26 2012, 12:34

I believe it is a year you have to register the pup.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by harlou Mon Nov 26 2012, 14:14

I dont care wether he has his kc or not ,it wouldnt of stopped us adopting him from the rescue
harlou
harlou
KC Register Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Nov 26 2012, 14:53

Caryll wrote:
ergo wrote:

Can I say I agree with all of this
Stokester firstly welcome back and congratulations on your lovely puppy.
If I were you Id reconsider about the kc registered paperwork this is your puppies birth certificate you feel like you dont need it at present with regards as you are not showing or breeding but you never know whats round the corner, we have bsl this is so unpredictable and unorganised so scarey for our breed and this doc is the only official document you will ever have with your dog.
You have but a short time to get the docs these should be with the dog and one day you may need them.
Show dogs Surprised a circus I love to see the best strutting there stuff, look at me attitude, owner and dog having a great time sorry thats how you see it im proud of them as I am of all dogs they all need and deserve our love the same regardless of any paperwork.

Caryll and Ergo you both have lots of knowlege about the breed why does it seem that you are both competing against each other to be the one who is right, when you both are you just have different veiws Big Grin
I would want the registeration docs I think the kc is the only records we have its not great but lots of information is held about breeding, showing, litter registerations, colours, quantities, use of studs, genetics I could go on and on there is loads of research going on with these figures. And for the little girl who produced this lovely litter she should have a right to have this litter registered there arnt many controls for her welfare but having this litter put down on her records will stop another being registered if she were to be overbred in the future (not saying that she will be) but records are important and if we can help the kc then shouldnt we be promoting it Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 14:57

Caryll wrote:Yes, but if you're friends with the breeder & you have a pedigree document, with photos from birth to adult, you'll probably be ok.

Having said that, if your stafford grows out of standard, then whether it's registered or not, it could still be classed as pitbull 'type', so registration papers would have little impact.

Really? I thought it would have been a proof type thing nail biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 15:02

gem wrote:
Caryll and Ergo you both have lots of knowlege about the breed why does it seem that you are both competing against each other to be the one who is right, when you both are you just have different veiws Big Grin
I would want the registeration docs I think the kc is the only records we have its not great but lots of information is held about breeding, showing, litter registerations, colours, quantities, use of studs, genetics I could go on and on there is loads of research going on with these figures. And for the little girl who produced this lovely litter she should have a right to have this litter registered there arnt many controls for her welfare but having this litter put down on her records will stop another being registered if she were to be overbred in the future (not saying that she will be) but records are important and if we can help the kc then shouldnt we be promoting it Smile

Competing? I don't see where you get that from, gem. The registration certificate won't save a pitbull 'type'. Because it doesn't matter what breed your dog is - if it's 'type' then it can be seized! I was just pointing out that ergo's view of dogs is elitist & that many members here would be upset by he way he seems to think that the only dogs worth having are registered & that a registration document makes them somehow more special.

The 'little girl' who produced this litter doesn't care what happened to her pups, let alone whether they're registered or not! The litter was bred by a friend & the op trusts that friend. Registering the litter wouldn't stop the bitch being overbred because they'd just not bother registering future litters!

Registration just isn't important unless you intend to breed or show.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 15:05

Hayley wrote:
Caryll wrote:Yes, but if you're friends with the breeder & you have a pedigree document, with photos from birth to adult, you'll probably be ok.

Really? I thought it would have been a proof type thing nail biting

It will show that your dog is a certain breed (as long as there is also photographic evidence that your dog is the one mentioned on the document - ie pics from puppyhood to present) and may help if any charges are brought against you, but a pitbull 'type' can be any breed that looks remotely like a pitbull! That's the reason I'm not happy with the current trend to breed oversized dogs, because they can look pitbull type.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 15:12

As far as I am aware Dan it is indeed only the breeder that can register the pups, and then when you get the pup he /she will transfer ownership to you but you can only try , especially if you are friends with the breeder.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Nov 26 2012, 15:58

Caryll wrote:
gem wrote:

Competing? I don't see where you get that from, gem. The registration certificate won't save a pitbull 'type'. Because it doesn't matter what breed your dog is - if it's 'type' then it can be seized! I was just pointing out that ergo's view of dogs is elitist & that many members here would be upset by he way he seems to think that the only dogs worth having are registered & that a registration document makes them somehow more special.

The 'little girl' who produced this litter doesn't care what happened to her pups, let alone whether they're registered or not! The litter was bred by a friend & the op trusts that friend. Registering the litter wouldn't stop the bitch being overbred because they'd just not bother registering future litters!

Registration just isn't important unless you intend to breed or show.

I have noticed reading other posts that you and ergo are at it on every topic and I see that you both are very experienced and thats a shame that you cant put things aside and help together as you both are right.
Of course there is no need to upset members about dogs that arnt registered as I say your both right Laughing all dogs need and deserve the same loving care irrelivent of there pedigree or not
The little girl should have documented that shes had a litter it may not make much of a difference but, if only for the breed record suppliments and research and future figures for the breed, health test percentages we shouldnt encourage people not to if it were my puppy Id want it registered even if I didnt plan on breeding or showing.
As I say it depends how you feel about registering to me the breed record suppliments gain true info and much needed true figures and the data base is great for research if not for yourself but for others.
It may not be the best system but its the only one that we have Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 20:13

gem wrote:I have noticed reading other posts that you and ergo are at it on every topic and I see that you both are very experienced and thats a shame that you cant put things aside and help together as you both are right.
Of course there is no need to upset members about dogs that arnt registered as I say your both right Laughing all dogs need and deserve the same loving care irrelivent of there pedigree or not
The little girl should have documented that shes had a litter it may not make much of a difference but, if only for the breed record suppliments and research and future figures for the breed, health test percentages we shouldnt encourage people not to if it were my puppy Id want it registered even if I didnt plan on breeding or showing.
As I say it depends how you feel about registering to me the breed record suppliments gain true info and much needed true figures and the data base is great for research if not for yourself but for others.
It may not be the best system but its the only one that we have Big Grin

Gem, you obviously don't know the full story. He's been banned twice under different names but won't actually admit it. His tone at times is deplorable. He seems to think that having a piece of paper somehow makes a dog more 'special' than any other.

To be honest, although I would always get a registered pup, I would never tell others that they are more special because of their registration. That's insensitive and elitist.

And now, I suppose, ergo/pedro/dougie will come back with another whine about being ganged up on..........

Back to top Go down

Post by harlou Mon Nov 26 2012, 20:13

I do not think that having kc papers makes a staffie any more a staffie than ones without ,if that was so no one who wanted a staffie would adopt one from a rescue cos its rare for them to have papers.
harlou
harlou
KC Register Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by harlou Mon Nov 26 2012, 20:14

Ah Caryl you beat me to it my thoughts exactly
harlou
harlou
KC Register Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:27

And Caryll is right, having papers will not stop the BSL brigade. Anyone could register any dog as being from any litter. It could be a chihuahua registered within a great dane litter for all they know they just take the money and print out the reg certificates. This won't stand up in court I have heard of it happening before and KC reg dogs have been seized. I believe the only thing that would work is DNA profiling because the courts can in no way dispute science.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com